H12SSL-I Stuck at "bmc initiating"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
some chinese SM boards have different warranty conditions.
before I bought from him, I asked for the serial number, after which I wrote to the SM tech-support and they confirmed to me that there is a guarantee and I can buy
the problem is that the SM does not want to change, I explained the situation to them, the scratches do not affect the performance of the motherboard in any way. It worked great, but after I updated the BIOS, not works
in the letter I indicated to them a link to the forum so that they could read that there is a problem with bmc on a series H12SSL-I of motherboards

Reactions: RolloZ170

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
before I bought from him, I asked for the serial number, after which I wrote to the SM tech-support and they confirmed to me that there is a guarantee and I can buy
the problem is that the SM does not want to change, I explained the situation to them, the scratches do not affect the performance of the motherboard in any way. It worked great, but after I updated the BIOS, not works
in the letter I indicated to them a link to the forum so that they could read that there is a problem with bmc on a series H12SSL-I of motherboards
ask SM if can repair the board, you pay the parts.

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
As far as I know, SM has a special scanner that checks the functionality of the components, and when they wrote to me that the U6 had been replaced and the MB did not work, I was shocked, it felt like I had let some newbie in electronics repair my board

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
ask SM if can repair the board, you pay the parts.
My question to supermicro:
Hi again
I have another question for you: If I want you to fix it for my money, how much will it cost me?

Answer is supermicro:We found the PCB circuit is damaged, it’s un-repairable.
Please confirm if you need us to return it as-is or scrap locally.
Felt like I sent a newbie motherboard to repair it.

NOTE: I want to express my gratitude to SuperMicro
since the warranty on the components has expired and despite this they tried to repair it
Thanks guys

Last edited:

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
this scratches are there from the beginning/working, right ?
Absolutely true, worked great, no problems.
I'll tell you more, I saw a video on YouTube where a guy repaired really broken lines
YouTube: Repairing broken traces on a circuit board

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
Hi guys this is the situation
SM refused to admit the fact that the problem in the motherboard is on their side, now the question is how to fix it, what tools do I need for this? Please advise a soldering station with bottom heating

Regards

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Hi guys this is the situation
SM refused to admit the fact that the problem in the motherboard is on their side, now the question is how to fix it, what tools do I need for this? Please advise a soldering station with bottom heating

Regards
Is this your first time repairing such things?
Nor sure if i can recommend what you are planning.

Looking at the pictures you are posted, i can not even tell if U6 and the others were actually replaced.
So, i feel conflicted about SM claiming they tried and it didn't work.

On the technical side, defects with those converters can sadly lead to the death of the BMC.
Absolute worst case is that the BMC has been killed by the previous fault.

You could check on this by measuring the output resistance and voltage of the converters.
I think i marked where to measure earlier in the thread.

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
You could check on this by measuring the output resistance and voltage of the converters.
I think i marked where to measure earlier in the thread.
Thanks for the answer, yes indeed there are big doubts about if the SM changed the U6
all I need is advice on what tools to buy?
1-soldering station with bottom heating
2-good soldering iron

Last edited:

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Thanks for the answer, yes indeed there are big doubts about if the SM changed the U6
all I need is advice on what tools to buy?
1-soldering station with bottom heating
2-good soldering iron
You will need a decent enough soldering iron and hotair-station as well as solderwick, flux, and all the other little things.
But with the H12, you will specifically need a good preheater.
The board has soo many layers that a hotair-station really really struggles to take off parts and even worse, to put on new parts.
Specifically because those parts when they are separate from the board, are instantly heated up.
It was an absolute mess and nightmare when i tried without preheat.
Hence why i really can't recommend it for someone who is just starting out and has little experience.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
can you advise me on a specific model of station with bottom heating
flux, and all the other little things,I have
I sadly can't really give you a recommendation other then that you really need preheat.
What ever you are comfortable with should be fine.
I don't have that myself yet.

I heard of people using sand on a sheet out of the hot oven.
Some repair people on Youtube are using the cheapest preheaters you can buy from china.
Be that those aluminum plate things or IR heater plates.
A friend reused a room heating lamp.
There seems to be no limit, with lessening jankyness depending on your budget.

Practically, if you have an IR based stove instead of a gas powered or induction one, you could use that as well.
Of course, control and comfort are basically non existent here.
You could build that though ...

Anyway, the simple risk with any of those is:
To little preheat - it is gona be a pain to replace those DCDC Converters properly.
To much heat for to long - you gona damage the board.

A good solution has you comfortable and sure that it will work like that.
So, maybe get some old shit boards to try around with? Stuff that doesn't hurtbreaking.

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
can you advise me on a specific model of station with bottom heating
flux, and all the other little things,I have
Consider this a fun excersise. Without any knowhow or prior experience, this is jumping in the deep end and bound to damage the boards even further. Very low chance of success.