H12SSL-I Stuck at "bmc initiating"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tim_E

Oct 16, 2019
Well, I do have access to a preheater big enough, and a hot-air gun, but I also have previous experience of tombstoning parts near the one I was replacing, so am only half tempted to give it a go. Then again, it's scrap unless I try...
Well, I do have access to a preheater big enough, and a hot-air gun, but I also have previous experience of tombstoning parts near the one I was replacing, so am only half tempted to give it a go. Then again, it's scrap unless I try...
Update: The pre-heater took its sweet time to get here, but it's a game changer! The lead free solder flows so much easier. Unfortunately I had botched things pretty badly running with just hot air, so was getting no voltage from U4/U5/U6 regulators. Remove/replace them all: Now U4 is 2.5V, U5 is .61V and U6 is zero volts. Let's assume for now that U4 and U5 are functioning correctly... 2/3 is an improvement!
I tried reseating U6, but still no luck. Upon inspection I have clearly lifted the "power good" pad, but it doesn't appear connected to anything? I'm out of components, but placed another digi-key order. If I haven't damaged anything else, this might actually work!

Don't get me wrong, this is the most challenging solder repair I've ever attempted, but it's within reach. If I had access to magnification during the solder process I think I could probably perform the operation reliably. (My current process of nudge, inspect, nudge, inspect, hope isn't very efficient.)

You should give it a go. What do you have to lose? :)

2023-10-19-144931.jpg
ref: center left pad should not look like that :/

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Upon inspection I have clearly lifted the "power good" pad, but it doesn't appear connected to anything?
pretty possible its not connected. microprocessors have internal voltage supervisor/reset units.
the TPS62088 deads very easy on too much too long heat. the factory uses IR soldering(preheated)

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
A solder pad will never have a hollow via in the middle, and commercial computer MBs are way too cheap for plugged vias. There doesn't seem to be any trace connected to it, so I think it's safe to assume that it wasn't connected anywhere.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Remove/replace them all: Now U4 is 2.5V, U5 is .61V and U6 is zero volts. Let's assume for now that U4 and U5 are functioning correctly... 2/3 is an improvement!
0.61 Volt ? the regulation range of the TPS62088 is 0.6 - 4 V.
can't imagen any unit which requires 0.6V but it is not impossible.

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
plugged ? I thought they didn't do that anymore today, galvanic process instead.
As far I know the via would still have to be filled to be plated over. I don't think mass-produced MBs can afford such an expensive process, especially with so much space around.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
As far I know the via would still have to be filled to be plated over.
the galvanic process builds the via by coating copper in the hole.
edit:

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
Well well.. Shuffled PCIE cards around on H12SSL-i (Rev1.01 from china), afterwards no BMC/IPMI. VGA is dead. BMC NIC led stays green but doesn't do anything. Heartbeat led blinks fast for ~10 secs and then goes off while power is off. With power on, heartbeat stays constant green. Otherwise the system works and I can boot to OS fine.

edit: Added info about VGA.

Code:
ipmitool
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory

Last edited:

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Well well.. Shuffled PCIE cards around on H12SSL-i (Rev1.01 from china), afterwards no BMC/IPMI. BMC NIC led stays green but doesn't do anything. Heartbeat led blinks fast for ~10 secs and then goes off while power is off. With power on, heartbeat stays constant green. Otherwise the system works and I can boot to OS fine.

Code:
ipmitool
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No such file or directory
@RolloZ170 did say that the symptoms are different depending on which of the three chips is affected and for how long. If your motherboard is booting - awesome, but you should check the chips carefully and maybe get the board repaired while Supermicro is still handling returns

Reactions: jei

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Well well.. Shuffled PCIE cards around on H12SSL-i (Rev1.01 from china), afterwards no BMC/IPMI. BMC NIC led stays green but doesn't do anything. Heartbeat led blinks fast for ~10 secs and then goes off while power is off. With power on, heartbeat stays constant green
fast flashing is BMC bootloader, FW flash is not powered, one of U4/U5/U6 damaged.
have you completely unpowered before swapping the PCIe cards ?

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
fast flashing is BMC bootloader, FW flash is not powered, one of U4/U5/U6 damaged.
have you completely unpowered before swapping the PCIe cards ?
Yeah. The server was removed from the rack and unplugged. Hindsight 20/20 I propably did touch the MB a bit while shuffling cards/cables. No dropping / big force, nothing I would normally worry about while building stuff on 4 decades. Last time I broke something like this I was 10 years old. :D Have to be extra careful in the future. Ordered H12SSL-NT for replacement, will try to RMA this after it arrives.

Reactions: RolloZ170

Tim_E

Oct 16, 2019
I'm here to attest that it is indeed possible to repair one of these motherboards yourself! The BMC heartbeat is back!!

Rollo, you were right to be suspicious of the 0.6v reading. The voltages on my now functioning motherboard: U4 2.5V, U5 1.20V, U6 1.15V. I only removed R57/R63 for out of circuit measurements, but I've probed voltage drops enough to be confident in these output voltages. The attachment has a few notes for anyone else who's interested in tinkering. It's interesting to note that the U5 "power good" signal feeds the U6 enable pin. (U6 won't come alive if U5 is dead)

Definitely reach out to SM if that's an option, but maybe this will give others some hope if not :)

I ended up having to replace the RAM chip right next to the voltage regulators. It was getting HOT for no reason. Unknown if that was from the initial failure, or if I broke it mid-repair. In either case, it was SO easy to replace compared to these god forsaken voltage regulators!

Attachments

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
SuperMicro Europe basically told me to F- myself when trying to init RMA. I cannot see any physical damage to U4,5,6 on my board. I guess the options are try to RMA thru China or sell as-is without BMC (or with BMC-addon card) with considerable loss.

djlongy

Oct 13, 2022
Just want to share that I have a H12SSL-CT rev 1.02
It suddenly died, no BMC, no lights, no response nothing. PSU is fine and all power is regulated through a clean UPS.
No hardware was removed/installed during the time of the failure. It just suddenly turned off and won't turn on again.
SM agreed to RMA. But this sudden failure with no wanring doesn't give me much confidence.

Reactions: vvkvvk

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Reports like this is making me consider just ordering cheap 2nd hand Tyan board from eBay to just sit in the shelf as a spare, when (not if) something happens to my H12SSL.

I've been swapping cards quite often, it's probably just matter of time when my luck runs out.

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
these are your FW chips
View attachment 25270
Hi, I have exactly the same problem as in this discussion thread.
My PC turns on but the BMC does not initialize.
If this can be fixed through the programmer its good news,so that I don't make mistakes, I want to clarify
I looked carefully through a magnifying glass at the chip markings on my H12SSL-I board
16-SOIC: Macronix-MX25L51245GMI-08G
16-SOIC: Winbond-25M02GVSFIG
8-SOIC: as far as I understand it does not apply to the BIOS
Can you please clarify where the BIOS chip is and where the BMC chip is?
BIOS2.jpg