H12SSL-I Stuck at "bmc initiating"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
16-SOIC: Macronix-MX25L51245GMI-08G
16-SOIC: Winbond-25M02GVSFIG
8-SOIC: as far as I understand it does not apply to the BIOS
Can you please clarify where the BIOS chip is and where the BMC chip is?
16-SOIC: MX25L51245GMI-08G = BMC 64MB
16-SOIC: 25M02GVSFIG = flashdisk for BMC
8-SOIC: MX25L25673GM2I-10G ( or -08G) = BIOS 32MB

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Hi, I have exactly the same problem as in this discussion thread.
My PC turns on but the BMC does not initialize.
If this can be fixed through the programmer its good news,so that I don't make mistakes, I want to clarify
this issue is because of damage/defective VR regulators for the BMC & DRAM. flashing FW does not help.
NOTE: if you connect a programmer-clamp to the BIOS or BMC, you will power up the whole mboard.
LEDs start to flash etc. the H12 (and others) are Root of Trust (RoT) protection against hackers with physical access.

Last edited:

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
this issue is because of damage/defective VR regulators for the BMC & DRAM. flashing FW does not help.
NOTE: if you connect a programmer-clamp to the BIOS or BMC, you will power up the whole mboard.
LEDs start to flash etc. the H12 (and others) are Root of Trust (RoT) protection against hackers with physical access.
This is not a problem, then I will need to unsolder the Chip and reflash it on the programmer
But I don’t quite understand which chip I should flash

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Last edited:

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
LEDs start to flash etc
Today I started fixing the motherboard and discovered that my LEDs do not turn on.
I wrote to RMA support and it turned out that there is still a guarantee until September 26
In any case, thank you very much for your answer, it was very helpful!!!
If I understand correctly In this case, flashing the firmware will not help

Last edited:
Reactions: RolloZ170

twinyuki

Dec 27, 2023
My motherboard was also destroyed yesterday. U6 has been halved. The FAN will rotate at full speed and the BMC will turn off. It was Rev1.01.
I will apply for RMA.P_20231227_234802.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: jei

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
@RolloZ170 - what are your thoughts on putting some thermal gap filler material on top of the U4 - U5 - U6 regulators? Gap fillers from Laird have a thermal conductivity of 7.5W/mk

1703725453565.png

That way they won't overheat

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
@RolloZ170 - what are your thoughts on putting some thermal gap filler material on top of the U4 - U5 - U6 regulators? Gap fillers from Laird have a thermal conductivity of 7.5W/mk

View attachment 33377

That way they won't overheat
they can diisipate heat to the pcb too. i don't know. and it is not confirmed that it is a heat issue at all.
TI components are not well known for stability.

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
My motherboard was also destroyed yesterday. U6 has been halved. The FAN will rotate at full speed and the BMC will turn off. It was Rev1.01.
I will apply for RMA.View attachment 33376
Hi I have the same problem too fortunately my motherboard is still under warranty, I sent it to supermicro for repair and what they wrote to me
1.Visual inspection found,PCB Damaged,damaged parts at U6.
2.Customer report problem found.
3.PCB damaged,unable to repair.
When I got the MOBO back and looked under a microscope, PCB just scratched, not damaged.
If anyone knows how to repair U6
Any answer is accepted

H12.jpgView attachment 33490

Last edited:

Tim_E

Oct 16, 2019
Hi I have the same problem too fortunately my motherboard is still under warranty, I sent it to supermicro for repair and what they wrote to me
1.Visual inspection found,PCB Damaged,damaged parts at U6.
2.Customer report problem found.
3.PCB damaged,unable to repair.
When I got the MOBO back and looked under a microscope, PCB just scratched, not damaged.
If anyone knows how to repair U6
Any answer is accepted
It's possible, but not for the faint of heart. Before starting to solder anything I would verify the state of the regulator outputs. Plug the motherboard into an ATX power supply (standby only, no need to boot anything) and check the voltages output voltages from U4, U5, U6. They output through the L6, L6, L8 inductors respectively. Hold one multi-meter probe to ground, one on the pad right next to the L6/7/8 silkscreen. Not definitive, but from my repair I think you should expect L6=2.5v, L7=1.2v, L8=1.15v.

The regulator is a TPS62088. Read the datasheet. Poke around with a multi-meter a little more to convince yourself the regulator is dead and not something else. If you're ready to commit to the replacement, find a hot air rework station, tweezers, fresh flux, and a PCB pre-heater. Unless you are a wizard with microscopic surface mount components, order 5x more TPS62088 parts than what you think you need. The PCB pre-heater is not optional. I tried without at first, but sacrificed many voltage regulator components to failure.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
It's possible, but not for the feint of heart.
Thanks for the answer.
I'll wait a little because I wrote a letter to RMA, let's see what they answer me and additionally gave them a link to this forum so that they can see that many people have a problem with bmc+U6
maybe they’ll even change my motherboard, but that’s uncertain.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
they can diisipate heat to the pcb too. i don't know. and it is not confirmed that it is a heat issue at all.
TI components are not well known for stability.
I meant - if it was covered by thermal gap filler or even if we put some thermal adhesive on it - this would protect the very fragile component. I suspect that even if it is accidentally brushed by a metal part it is very brittle and will break apart. Putting thermally adhesive putty on top would allow it to thermally conduct and at the same time, be protected from accidental bumps

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I meant - if it was covered by thermal gap filler or even if we put some thermal adhesive on it - this would protect the very fragile component. I suspect that even if it is accidentally brushed by a metal part it is very brittle and will break apart. Putting thermally adhesive putty on top would allow it to thermally conduct and at the same time, be protected from accidental bumps
i bet If SM detects manipulation, they reject warranty

Reactions: AVID-MEDIA

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
The motherboard was in a recommended SuperMicro chassis because I thought it would be better protected. And it didn't make any difference.

Will try to send it off for repairs
I did the same and they told me that the motherboard cannot be repaired, but they did not change it. And at the moment I am having a discussion about the solution to my problem
I explained to SM that the problem is not scratches, but that there is a problem with bmc on the H12SSL-I series ofMOBO

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
find a hot air rework station, tweezers, fresh flux, and a PCB pre-heater.
Hi, in general, this is the situation, I wrote a letter to RMA support.
They refused to change the motherboard((
when asked what they did, they answered like this
"We have replaced U6 but its function still has problem"

Can you advise me which hot station to buy with preheating?
Regarding the regulator itself, this model is suitable TPS62088YFPT ?

Reactions: RolloZ170

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
Here I must mention the responsibility of RMA support
when I bought the board from a Chinese guy through eBay
I didn't know there were scratches as shown in the picture.
accordingly, SM mentioned this to me and despite this, they agreed to try to fix the board
I still have questions for the supermicro if there was no physical damage but the bmc component simply failed
Then why didn’t they exchange it for me if it’s under warranty?
a few months ago I had a similar situation but only with X12SPL-F
after updating the BIOS the board did not start and they exchanged it for meDamage.jpg

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
if they have replaced U6 and still no function there may other component behind shorting/overloading.
Hi a question for you
maybe the problem lies in the BIOS chip and BMC itself, at the moment I’m not going to physically interfere with the repair because I’m having a discussion with a SM, so as not to lose the warranty,but it’s interesting to know

twinyuki

Dec 27, 2023
My RMA was accepted and I sent it to Taiwan Supermicro, but I have not received any response.
If I am replacing the board rather than repairing the U6 component, will it be Rev1.02?