Turbocharge your Quanta LB6M - Flash To Brocade TurboIron - Big Update!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fohdeesha, Dec 18, 2017.

1. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Kaini Industries

7.4.00p is the latest codetrain with the most features. the 7.3 is the older codetain, it was updated later because they patched a bug in it in october (the s at the end)

2. mTek

mTek New Member

Does the V7 l3 image not have the cluster commands? I'm trying to set up the MCT and there is no cluster command.

3. fohdeesha

none of these switches ever supported MCT

4. mTek

mTek New Member

Well, that explains it very well. Is there another way to use LACP across multiple switches for redundancy?

5. fohdeesha

nope, you'll need to use a switch-agnostic link type like "failover" or whatever the OS/product you're using calls it

6. pokemongo

pokemongo New Member

hi guys, I'm kind of new here so be gentle on me :)
    got question on Brokeaids document says

Quote"If the output on your switch does not match this exactly, STOP! Pastebin your switches output and get in touch with us on ServeTheHome."

I assume that is [if you wish to flash but the out put differs, stop and contact].
    But it lacks instruction on how to [stop flashing and keep on using with original firm].
    What should I do if the output differs and wishes to keep on using the original firm?

7. fohdeesha

paste the output here, it's most likely just a different u-boot version and you're fine

if you don't wish to flash just reboot the switch, you haven't written anything to it yet. just pull power or type "reset"

8. vrod

vrod Active Member

Hi @fohdeesha - I just did a show version on mine (crossflashed) and it showed me the version: SW: Version 08.0.01eT203

I guess this means I have the Version 8 which apparently was meant for internal use only/beta testing? Might explain why that switch has been acting strange lately, though I did this crossflashing over half a year ago :D

9. fohdeesha

go back to the guide, there's better firmware :)

10. thisis789

thisis789 New Member

Hello all! trying to flash my switch over and I'm having issues at the first step of all places, when rebooting to get into the boot loader my serial console just spits out a bunch of random garbage and I can't tell whats going on. Heres a screenshot of whats going on: [​IMG]
    Screenshot - 4b823c4e27e6291d44536f0720565042 - Gyazo

11. fohdeesha

did you set your serial settings to 9600-8-N-1 ?

12. thisis789

thisis789 New Member

my putty settings are default

Com line 3
    Speed 9600
    Data bits 8
    stop bits 1
    parity none
    flow control XON/XOFF

13. fohdeesha

someone probably changed the u-boot serial speed environment variable so the bootloader is running at a different rate, try 19200, 38400, 57600 and 115200 until the bootloader output makes sense (changing them will make it not work in the OS which is running at 9600, so best to reboot it and do OS stuff from telnet or something during this)

14. thisis789

thisis789 New Member

thanks for the help and fast replies! for some reason someone set it to 115200 but i got into the bootloader now, is there a command to set it back to the regular speed?

15. fohdeesha

you can just follow the guide at that serial speed, youll just need to change your console back to 9600 once it boots the brocade bootloader

16. thisis789

thisis789 New Member

Alright the flash went well, no problems and everything is going great except one thing, I turned out to be one of the unlucky ones that ended up with useless management ports. hopefully when I move it into the rack a different network cable will make it happy but I doubt it. So does anyone have a guide on how to set the ssh server an ip address and it could just listen on all the networks port kinda like modern smart switches? or just turn one of the other cooper NICs into the management port? The only networking CLI I know is very little and for a cisco router with 4g for some project. I tried setting up eth 28 to have an ip address and it kept throwing back an error about a conflict that didn't exist as far as I could tell.

17. fohdeesha

follow the "l3 quick guide" on the lefthand side of the guide website, it gets it set up with an in-band mgmt IP and ssh etc

18. d.ohlin

d.ohlin New Member

Does anyone know whether or not there's any way to connect 100Mbps copper ethernet devices to the SFP+ ports after doing this? The problem I have is that several of the cheap 'smart' home products I have insist on putting stupid 100Mb ports in their devices, and with the transceivers I have they do not work unless I put them in the 4 copper ports on the right side of the switch...which is becoming limited for space lol. I've seen autosensing transceivers like this from fs: Generic Compatible 10/100/1000BASE-T SFP Copper RJ-45 100m Transceiver Module but am not sure whether or not this would work. Anyone have any thoughts/experience/answers on this? Thanks!

19. fohdeesha

20. JSchuricht

JSchuricht Active Member

Darn it. I was perfectly happy not having any knowledge if this Brocade switch. Now you have me thinking of combining several switches into one creating an empty space in a rack that will drain even more money. I would thank you but my wallet hates you right now.