Search results

1. R

Storage Crypto ?

With Chia not, outwardly at least, going anywhere much and people jumping off, has anyone been looking at the various storage crypto offerings with a view to providing space. Cryptos that come to mind are (inc links); ARWEAVE & Virdpool ARWeave Explorer FileCoin & FilFox Network Info site...
  2. R

Riser options for X9DRT-HF+

Hi All, I have a 2U twin Supermicro system ( Supermicro SuperServer 6027TR-DTRF 2-Node Server X9DRT-HF ). I have upgraded the server nodes with X9DRT-HF+ units (more ram slots & SAS controller). The only issue is that it has no standard PICe slots. There is a custom PCIe slot that takes a...
  3. R

Supermicro X9DRT-HF (6027TR-DTRF) SAS options

Hi All, I have a x9 2U FatNode server (only two nodes not 4). Unfortunately the setup is SATA only. Does anyone know what options are there for using SAS drives ?. The back plane does not even have any SATA / SAS connectors, everything comes through the node connection riser. Thanks...
  4. R

Electrical load tracking by circut recommendations ?.

Hi, We are having issues with our main distribution box circuit breaker tripping (the master breaker). We bought the property 10+ years ago (2 floor flat / apartment) and changing the whole set of eletrics is one thing that was out of budget so we were only able to tag on some new wall boxes...
  5. R

How best to test harddrive / ssd's

I have a number of purchases of used hard drives and SSD and would like, to find a way to healthcheck them before use. I have an external USB dock connected to my Windows workstation, but putting the Intel and Samsung drives in to them results in the Intel / Samsung software not recognising...
  6. R

Any Supermicro (or other) server boards for an i7-7800x ?

Hi All, I am upgrading my old i7-7800x to a i7-9800x (faster, more PCIe lanes) and would like to us my i7-7800x in a server if possible. I am looking for a server board that will work with it (rather than workstation / desktop board due to putting it i n a 1U rack chassis and ram slot...
  7. R

Looking for a way to mount ee-atx motherboards in a rack with no case.

Hi, I am looking to mount maybe 4x Supremicro X9DRD ee-atx motherboards in a rack. Whilst the boards and cpus can be quite cheap, bying a case and having it shipped to me is around 1k just for the shipping. I have a dell half rack I will install them in to and so am looking for any custom...
  8. R

Fix for X9 motherboards IPMIView remote console opening and closing straight away.

So I bought a X9DRI-LN4F board a wile ago and use it as the basis for a home FreeNAS box (running a couple of VMs as well as normal storage server duties). The problem I had with it was that after connecting to the BMC with Supermicros IPMIView and trying to open the Remote Console, it would...
  9. R

X10SLM-LN4F Toubleshooting.

Hi. I recently purchased a Supermicro X10SLM-LN4F and an E3-1220v3 CPU (different sellers). When plugged in and with validated Kingston ram sticks the board powers on but no video, no USB power (ie. no keyboard lights), no beep codes. Taking out the ram results in no change (ie. no ram issue...
  10. R

MS RDS server: How to publish multiple Putty instances with different config files for different users ?.

Hi, So I am using a Remote Desktop Services server to provide an entry way in to a lab for 2 groups of users, each requiring access to specific servers exclusively. I have been looking at SuperPutty and pre-defining the sessions.xml with all saved servers defined but I can't seem to find a way...
  11. R

Ideas for a portible MiFi VPN ?.

So I am traveling around a bit and have PFSense at home doing ovpn duties for my phone and laptop so I can browse unblocked and access my own movies. That works ok but now the family are comming with various browsing devices I would like to look at getting or putting something together that...
  12. R

Pfsense multi-lan config.

So I have a Pfsense router setup with dual wan which has been working fine for the last 6 months. I have now decided to add a 10GbE network card to it and move my two other machines that are direct connected over 10GbE on to the router. I am a little at a loss on how to configure the router to...
  13. R

How to disable iscsi boot on Intel XF SR nics.

I have a PFSense router managing my dual 1GbE home network links (WAN). For the LAN I have an i350 quad and all is working fine. I also have two Intel XF SR 10GbE nics linking my home server and SAN. All is working fine. I have picked up a couple more of Intel XF SR 10Gbe cards with the idea...
  14. R

Sophos utm - Dual wan routing based on lan source ip ?.

I have been running Sophos UTM home edition for a while now and it is mostly very good. I need a bit of help on static route configurations though. I have two wan links with different vendors. Wan1 - rotating ip. Wan2 - static ip. I would like all traffic from pc1 to got to Wan1 and all...
  15. R

qdr infiniband slowness.

Hi, I am currently looking for suggestions on how to troubleshoot what may be going on. I have a Windows 2012r2 server connected via a connectx-2 qdr vpi adaptor to a Voltaire 4036 ib switch and then to a Solaris 11 server via the same type of connectx-2 vpi adaptor. I have two luns shared...
  16. R

Unable to boot to USB drive (Rufus 2.3) on X8DTE-F

Hi, I am having a very frustrating time trying to boot to USB drive on a X8DTE-F. The drive is built using Rufus (Sony 16GB USB stick) - MBR - Fat32 - FreeDOS. I read somewhere that diabling the option ROM on the LSI controller may solve it but alas, no go still. Any suggestions ?.
  17. R

EoIB on Solaris 11.2 setup problems

Been having a bit of an issue getting EoIB up and running on a Solaris box. I have been looking at various guides an have had it running until I had to rebuild the SAN. The problem seems to be between getting the IP network devices created. The main guide I have been following is from Oracle...
  18. R

X10SRi-F and setting ram to run at 2133MHz ?

Hi, I have an X10SRi-F Supermicro board and to this I have added some Kingston KVR21R15D4/16 ram which is specc'd at 2133MHz. On booting and entering the BIOS I see the ram reported as Micron 1866MHz ram. It is reported as running at 1866MHz with ram speed set to auto. I have changed the...
  19. R

Which cable for drive activity lights on Supermicro case.

So I have received my Supermicro 933T-R760B chassis and it is ok (not great and with a few issues but ok). I am trying to get the drive lights to work and there are two connectors on the backplane for this. They have the following pin outs; Pin Definitions (JP26 and JP47) Pin # Definition Pin...
  20. R

QDR Infiniband without a switch ?

I moved away from my DDR infiniband a while ago and, due to using a mITX san, ended up using iSCSI on a dedicated 1 GbE network but my OCD keeps nagging that I have 3 QDR cards sitting around. I have just bought the bits for a new storage san (rack mount dual L5630s) and have a number of x8PCIe...