Unable to boot to USB drive (Rufus 2.3) on X8DTE-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi,

I am having a very frustrating time trying to boot to USB drive on a X8DTE-F.

The drive is built using Rufus (Sony 16GB USB stick) - MBR - Fat32 - FreeDOS.

I read somewhere that diabling the option ROM on the LSI controller may solve it but alas, no go still.

Any suggestions ?.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
If you wanted to share the image to me, I can burn and test on my workbench next to me. I've got a X8DTL-IF which should be pretty close. I' haven't had any problems with any OS images on mine.

Reactions: RimBlock

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Tried a different USB port? Is xHCI enabled? Try reseting the bios to defaults

Reactions: RimBlock

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi Chuckleb, been a while. Hope you have been doing well. Thanks for the offer. Finally got something sorted today.

@neo, have tried a couple of the USB ports (internal and external) and put the controller in ACHI mode, all with no luck.

The actual reason for wanting the boot disk was to update my 3 LSI 9211-8i controllers to the latest firmware as the second one I put in the storage server wouyld not paly nice with the first one (different FW etc).

I finally managed to (very easily) flash then using the efi tools using my MSI B75 gamer MB I have in my ARMA 3 server. When putting the cards in the storage server again I still could not access the cards BIOS, boot from USB and got some strange errors popping up.

As last ditch effort I reset the MB BIOS to safe defaults and most of the issues went away. I still had to config the SAS controllers and reinstall Solaris on this unit but the BIOS reset seems to have resolved the majority of issues. I installed off a IOS image on my Zalman USB hdd / vDVD unit so I guess the boot from USB is working now.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

RB

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I have had similar issues when using raid cards and mellanox cards on that generation of board. If you use multiple cards, I think you run out of memory space to load the ROMs of all the cards. I had to email SuperMicro as we loaded 3 cards and on AMD versions, couldn't see BIOS if one or another. I too found that reset to safe fixes things, though not sure why.

Glad to see you and glad to hear it is working!