How best to test harddrive / ssd's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I have a number of purchases of used hard drives and SSD and would like, to find a way to healthcheck them before use.

I have an external USB dock connected to my Windows workstation, but putting the Intel and Samsung drives in to them results in the Intel / Samsung software not recognising them.

Does anyone know of a solution that can look past the USB interface at the drive behind it.

Whilst I can put them in my Unbuntu servers and run Smartctl having something that is quick and east at my workstation would be great.

Any good tools out there ?.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Does anyone know of a solution that can look past the USB interface at the drive behind it.
Don't use usb adapters.
Get a hotswap bay, connect it to a sata port (or sas hba) and then run the vendor specific tools to check the health data

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Thanks for the reply.

Can you recomment any good cheap external enclosures, ideally with 8088 conectionns as I have a LSI 9300-8e card sitting around.

The SATA ports on my board are shared with the NVME slots 2 & 3 so would rather not use those.