(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

metal

Jun 25, 2023
I have about 300/400 slim Celeron and Silver 5070s, but some of them are IOT and none are ThinOS past 8.6.
Almost all were Ubuntu or IOT. Does anyone know what and how to change the BIOS or efi to tell the machines they're ThinOS PCoIP machines?

Reactions: Samir

Manu182

Dec 14, 2023
Hey Guys, short question. Does the mainboard have any hidden SATA ports who can be soldered like the S740?

Jek123

Apr 12, 2023
Hey Guys, short question. Does the mainboard have any hidden SATA ports who can be soldered like the S740?
What I found:
you can try to find something similar for internal usb https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08J7Q81SF
also the motherboard has an unsoldered pcie slot, maybe you can do something with it (maybe put a m.2 ssd, not sure if adapter will fit)
and i think the mmc can be replaced with a bigger one (i do it on a wyse 3040)

Reactions: Samir and Manu182

labxplore

Sep 12, 2022
Wondering if anyone has tried using a H1110 (LSI SAS9211-4I IT Mode, LSI SAS2004 controller) on the 5070 (extended) to connect additional drives. The drives will be powered (and mounted) externally but I'm trying to see what I may be missing from a compatibility perspective if I go that route... Objective is to set it up as a NAS under Proxmox...
Long-due update on this just in case it's helpful to anyone else... (and somebody asked me about it on another thread :))

It's currently up and running...
- Wyse 5070 extended, 32GB RAM, 2TB M.2 SATA
- Oracle LSI SAS9300-8e HBA (8-Port 12Gbps) (went with @UhClem recommendation of 8e - so no case adaptations needed)
- 4x 10TB WD RED (for now, have 2 more to add) housed on a drive cage 'upcycled' from an old server tower
- 2x 12V 120mm generic fan (running at 6-7V for now - will move to quiet 92mm PWM someday). One for the HDD cage and the other for the top of the wyse
- external PSU with jumper to power the drives

Software:
Running proxmox and multiple containers and VMs using only the SSD.
All 4 HDDs are set up as pass-through to a VM hosting the NAS.

Temps & Power:
- CPU temps around 104-140F/40-60C
- HBA card around the same 104-140F/40-60C
- HDDs temps have been around 95-113F/35-45C
- Power draw at the wall (wyse + HDDs + external PSU + 2 fans) is around 60W without any power optimization/configuration for drive spin down yet. Gets up to 75W with heavy drive usage (NAS showing 690MB/s read peak)
- Before the HBA/drives/fans/psu the same machine would fluctuate between 8-14W with multiple dongles/adapters (BT, UPS USB, SDR, etc) in use...

heromode

May 25, 2020
external PSU with jumper to power the drives
Hi, i've been contemplating running 4 drives in a Icy Box IB-564SAS-12G, which is meant to be installed in 3x5.25". But i was planning to stick some rubber feet under it, and running it external.

Could you expand on your power solution? I've been searching for power bricks with a Molex connector from china, As i don't really want to start soldering something..

labxplore

Sep 12, 2022
Hi, i've been contemplating running 4 drives in a Icy Box IB-564SAS-12G, which is meant to be installed in 3x5.25". But i was planning to stick some rubber feet under it, and running it external.
That looks like a nice self-contained unit. And just need the SATA Power and mini-SAS cable.
I’m using a cage like this that was inside a tower server case and fits a fan on the front.

IMG_5663.jpeg

Could you expand on your power solution? I've been searching for power bricks with a Molex connector from china, As i don't really want to start soldering something..
As this may grow in the future towards a larger dedicated storage server, I’ve got already an actual Corsair modular SFX PSU which is pretty small and the fan never runs with the current load. Being modular, I can just use the SATA power cable connected to the drives.
Because it’s not connected to a motherboard, you need a jumper between 2 pins or use something like this (on the 24-pin ATX):
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005004045090030.html

Reactions: e97 and Samir

heromode

May 25, 2020
That looks like a nice self-contained unit. And just need the SATA Power and mini-SAS cable.
I’m using a cage like this that was inside a tower server case and fits a fan on the front.

As this may grow in the future towards a larger dedicated storage server, I’ve got already an actual Corsair modular SFX PSU which is pretty small and the fan never runs with the current load. Being modular, I can just use the SATA power cable connected to the drives.
Because it’s not connected to a motherboard, you need a jumper between 2 pins or use something like this (on the 24-pin ATX):
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005004045090030.html
Ahh, i see now, Thanks for clarifying. I was lucky to get the Icy-Dock from a seller on these forums for a good price, as they are selling for over 100 EUR normally. But it is all aluminium, and good quality.

On aliexpress, the cheapest option is acrylic or metallic mounts, which you can use to build a tower, most come with the possibility to mount a fan too:

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholes...Shelf+Acrylic&spm=a2g0o.productlist.1000002.0

Then there is for example the ZhenLoong Storage Store, which sell plastic "hot-swap hard disk cages" , which are similar to the Icy-Dock, and come with either individual SATA connectors for each drive, or a SFF-8643 connector.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004679669836.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.4.70024ce5MB2Ydo&pdp_npi=2@dis!EUR!€+65,12!€+58,61!!!!!@21038ed816722858465893897e8559!12000030075406643!sh&gatewayAdapt=glo2fra

And this is a search for the PSU options i was looking at:

12V/5V 2.5A USB to IDE/SATA Power Supply Adapter

The idea here ofcourse is having a external "CAS", or 'Cable Attached Storage', without the need to run a full NAS with mobo, cpu and ram.

When looking for cables, from memory add one digit to the SFF-864x standard, and that means shielded cable. I have that bookmarked somewhere, but can't find it now..

If you have a non-external LSI SAS controller, then you can use these: (edit, not in the wyse 5070, but in a normal mid-tower or similar)

Chenyang Dual Ports Mini SAS SFF-8088 To Internal SAS HD SFF-8643 PCBA Female Adapter With Low Profile Bracket

They are plentiful on both Ebay and Aliexpress, with both the older and newer SAS connector. Also handy as you can then use 4x internal links, + 4x external.

Edit: an example of a shielded cable, note the 8644. There is a wikipage somewhere explaining this:

SFF-8088 SFF-8644 online kaufen | eBay

Last edited:
Reactions: labxplore

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
"Sorry, we've detected unusual activity on your network." - Guess they don't like my PI-Hole. :p

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Wyse 5070 extended

Wyse 5070 extended + quad-port NIC(i350-t4?)

I am not sure about whether the oracle oem i350-t4 is genuine or not.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Wyse 5070 extended

Wyse 5070 extended + quad-port NIC(i350-t4?)

I am not sure about whether the oracle oem i350-t4 is genuine or not.
Curious if the 256GB storage version comes with a windows iot license attached to it or not.

As far as the quad-port, why not ask the seller here as he's a member--https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?members/beaflag-vonrathburg.20237/ :)

M_server

Nov 10, 2019
Whats the best way to internally power a 2.5 SATA SSD? Going to use a sata to mkey adaper. Maybe off the 19 pin header? Seems like you'd have to chain 19 pin to usb to sata 5v somehow.

Has anyone managed to figure out a decent way to mount a 2.5 in drive internally, maybe something printed? I have a spare 4TB ex DC drive, m.2 SATA only goes to 2TB afaik.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Whats the best way to internally power a 2.5 SATA SSD? Going to use a sata to mkey adaper. Maybe off the 19 pin header? Seems like you'd have to chain 19 pin to usb to sata 5v somehow.

Has anyone managed to figure out a decent way to mount a 2.5 in drive internally, maybe something printed? I have a spare 4TB ex DC drive, m.2 SATA only goes to 2TB afaik.
It is mentioned here on parkytowers that 'There are a few other connectors dotted around that are probably used in the 'extended' version.'

I'd try to see if you can pull power from one of those. It's been done before on some of the other Dell thin clients and documented on that site.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Interesting finds with my 5070 so far
  1. No EMMC at all, it did come with 256GB Micro m.2 SATA drive
  2. Unit appears to be formerly part of NBC at some point, even after fresh Win10 install I was unable to bypass network check during account setup and it attempted to "phone home" to complete setup based on the NBC profile (I saw the logo hence my guess it was a NBC machine)
  3. To get around this I moved the SSD to another machine, booted and completed setup (with network bypass check) and now it's working normally.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Interesting finds with my 5070 so far
  1. No EMMC at all, it did come with 256GB Micro m.2 SATA drive
  2. Unit appears to be formerly part of NBC at some point, even after fresh Win10 install I was unable to bypass network check during account setup and it attempted to "phone home" to complete setup based on the NBC profile (I saw the logo hence my guess it was a NBC machine)
  3. To get around this I moved the SSD to another machine, booted and completed setup (with network bypass check) and now it's working normally.
Interesting indeed. So you saw the NBC logo like on a BIOS splash screen?

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Interesting indeed. So you saw the NBC logo like on a BIOS splash screen?
Nope, it was on one of my bypassNRO attempts in Win10 setup. It appears to have gotten passed it and displayed a screen I've never seen before in the set-up flow. This screen showed an NBC logo and further text outlining 4 steps are left along the lines of downloading profile, installing apps, joining corp domain etc. I shut down at step 1. I forgot to take a photo.
What's more intriguing is this is after I've wiped the SSD and fresh Win10 install, almost Mac like where if the S/N is registered with corp account the machine is "locked" to it and will auto provision regardless of drive wipe from what I've been told.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Nope, it was on one of my bypassNRO attempts in Win10 setup. It appears to have gotten passed it and displayed a screen I've never seen before in the set-up flow. This screen showed an NBC logo and further text outlining 4 steps are left along the lines of downloading profile, installing apps, joining corp domain etc. I shut down at step 1. I forgot to take a photo.
What's more intriguing is this is after I've wiped the SSD and fresh Win10 install, almost Mac like where if the S/N is registered with corp account the machine is "locked" to it and will auto provision regardless of drive wipe from what I've been told.
Interesting. I'd get in touch with the seller about this too since this particular machine might not have been 'released/de-registered/etc.'

Reactions: chinesestunna