(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

reaf

Sep 21, 2023
Hello everyone,

I tested Proxmox with OpenMediaVault with a 3.5" SATA HDD connected via USB 3.1 - and struggled a lot. At first everything worked fine but then somehow the USB ID changed and I couldn't get it running again.
Thince then I'm planning to use the 3.5" HDD directly via the Wifi Interface (M.2 to Sata 3 Adapter). I know that I need external Power but I'm not sure how to accomplish this.

Is there a way to use the Internal USB Interface since (as far as I know) USB 3 should provide 12V and 5V?

Or should I use this? Netzteil 12V+5V 2A für IDE und SATA Festplatten CD DVD Brenner Molexstecker OVP 3863349237653 | eBay

The setup should run 24/7 and I don't want to set my home on fire :rolleyes:;)

Best regards
reaf

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
That link just goes to a Wyse 5070 mounting kit, not an actual Wyse device. You may want to update the description at the top.
CDW outlet part numbers are one-off so I'm surprised there's anything showing up at all.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Hello everyone,

I tested Proxmox with OpenMediaVault with a 3.5" SATA HDD connected via USB 3.1 - and struggled a lot. At first everything worked fine but then somehow the USB ID changed and I couldn't get it running again.
Thince then I'm planning to use the 3.5" HDD directly via the Wifi Interface (M.2 to Sata 3 Adapter). I know that I need external Power but I'm not sure how to accomplish this.

Is there a way to use the Internal USB Interface since (as far as I know) USB 3 should provide 12V and 5V?

Or should I use this? Netzteil 12V+5V 2A für IDE und SATA Festplatten CD DVD Brenner Molexstecker OVP 3863349237653 | eBay

The setup should run 24/7 and I don't want to set my home on fire :rolleyes:;)

Best regards
reaf
One way to do what you want is to use a sata to esata. Then all you need is an esata external drive enclosure that will provide power to the drive. You can even use one of those external DAS units to have more than just one drive.

Reactions: mattalat

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
One way to do what you want is to use a sata to esata. Then all you need is an esata external drive enclosure that will provide power to the drive. You can even use one of those external DAS units to have more than just one drive.
Has anyone confirmed that the M.2 PCIE to SATA adapter supports port multiplier to make external DAS units on these viable?

Last edited:

reaf

Sep 21, 2023
Thank you so much for the reply.
So this sort of Cable should do the trick? - Dual Power eSATA USB 12V 5V Combo to 22Pin SATA USB Hard Disk Cable Adapter NEW | eBay

In combination with this? - ICY BOX - externes Festplattengehäuse 3.5" USB eSATA schwarz | eBay

What do you mean with "external DAS units"? It would be great to to have more than just one drive in the future.

I think I can get rid of this one which I used to connect the 3.5" Drive via USB? - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B085LTKD2S/

Best regards

reaf

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
Thank you so much for the reply.
So this sort of Cable should do the trick? - Dual Power eSATA USB 12V 5V Combo to 22Pin SATA USB Hard Disk Cable Adapter NEW | eBay

In combination with this? - ICY BOX - externes Festplattengehäuse 3.5" USB eSATA schwarz | eBay

What do you mean with "external DAS units"? It would be great to to have more than just one drive in the future.

I think I can get rid of this one which I used to connect the 3.5" Drive via USB? - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B085LTKD2S/

Best regards

reaf
Pretty sure you don’t want the 22 pin cable, I’m not sure what m.2 pci to SATA adapater you bought but all the ones that I’ve seen won’t take the 22 pin connector. Instead you want something like this:

The enclosure looks good, that is what will provide power to the drive.

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
Pretty sure you don’t want the 22 pin cable, I’m not sure what m.2 pci to SATA adapater you bought but all the ones that I’ve seen won’t take the 22 pin connector. Instead you want something like this:

The enclosure looks good, that is what will provide power to the drive.
Also in order to get the case to close, you either need a left/right angle sata adapter or buy a left/right angle cable. I ended up using a left angle regular sata cable and then a sata to eSATA adapter.

Kyune

Feb 9, 2017
Looks like someone is selling several Wyse 5070 Extended on ebay at $67. If I'm not mistaken they are representing it comes with the Radeon E9173 GPU in the PCIe slot:

I bought two -- we'll see what shows up on the doorstep.

Reactions: e97 and Samir

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Looks like someone is selling several Wyse 5070 Extended on ebay at $67. If I'm not mistaken they are representing it comes with the Radeon E9173 GPU in the PCIe slot:

New low price?
Other than the whole machine, even the E9173 GPU is at $40 on ebay.

Another thought, looks like the embedded CPU generation of pentium J5005 and celeron J4105/J4125 is going to be replaced by its successor.

Because of its low power consumption, they are petty good in home lab/home automation for k8s, myowncloud/nextcloud, or log aggregation applications.

Reactions: Samir and Kyune

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

Well, I finally got caught up in the madness--fantastic deal since it includes the GPU and these are the Iot LTSC embedded license if the sample unit is dell code is correct when I looked up it's specs. Plus, it's a pretty good bit faster than my current iot box with the 424cc:

n41. o_O Good thing I didn't see the $10 discount for two...

One thing that was interesting when I looked up the Dell service code in the picture is that these were specially loaded with windows 98 it seems. Interesting retro boxes too?

We'll see how fast this is compared to the Fujitsu S920...

Reactions: e97 and Kyune

kwijibo

Aug 19, 2023
They're showing up as $75.67 now

Last time I researched these, I got scared off by the 4-port NIC clones and wasn't confident in my ability to find a cheap genuine PCIe card.

Can anyone recommend a reputable one?

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
They're showing up as $75.67 now

Last time I researched these, I got scared off by the 4-port NIC clones and wasn't confident in my ability to find a cheap genuine PCIe card.

Can anyone recommend a reputable one?
All gone now-- The STH Effect™ for sure!

To avoid fakes--look for only used ones, and stay away from actual Intel branded ones and instead look for oem versions that are not Dell or HP (because those are also flooded with fakes now too). I think there's a thread on here about good Lenovo and Fujitsu part numbers.

kwijibo

Aug 19, 2023
Ooh I remember that thread now. Thanks for the reminder. I had a saved eBay search for the part numbers.

Aside from needing a half height bracket, does this look legit/reasonable?

Or this one?

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Ooh I remember that thread now. Thanks for the reminder. I had a saved eBay search for the part numbers.

Or this one?
You're welcome.

Those cards don't look pcie to me...

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
For those that missed out and are getting a few, the same seller has the version with wifi for just a hair more:

More than 10 available as of this post.

Reactions: e97

newabc

Jan 20, 2019

Or this one?
Probably they were using on some kinds of lenovo servers only. They were not PCIe for sure.