EU Huawei RH2288H V3 (ddr4/v4) full fronts 187€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
Im planing to use a regular nvidia gpu to transcode video and I just need 1 connector
Made you a graphic of the Riser Pinout. Technically a 1:1 Mapping to PCIe Plug. However its physically a EPS 8PIN Plug.

Riser to PCIe (Consumer): PCI-E 8pin to Dual 8pin(6+2) For DELL R720 R730 GPU Video Card Power Cable 35cm | eBay (Hard to see pinouts, check before use)
Riser to EPS8PIN (Tesla): 8Pin to 8pin Power Cable For DELL R730 and Nvidia K80/M40/M60/P40/P100 PCIE GPU | eBay

The EPS8PIN 12V can provide up to 225 Watts.

Attachments

typek

Feb 27, 2016
Bought one of these, hooked it up and I'm getting F01 - F02 - F03 - F04 error on the front LED panel when I start it. Not getting any video output - using VGA -> HDMI cable with my TV. So not sure whether the server is not outputting any video yet because of the error or if the cable setup simply isn't working.

These F errors should be something fan related? All fans seem to be working though, it's like rocket ship launching. Any ideas what to do? Thanks.

Attachments

Reactions: Samir

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
Bought one of these, hooked it up and I'm getting F01 - F02 - F03 - F04 error on the front LED panel when I start it. Not getting any video output - using VGA -> HDMI cable with my TV. So not sure whether the server is not outputting any video yet because of the error or if the cable setup simply isn't working.

These F errors should be something fan related? All fans seem to be working though, it's like rocket ship launching. Any ideas what to do? Thanks.
Have you tried reseating the fans?

BMacD

May 17, 2019

I had no luck with a VGA-HDMI adapter on one of these or a Lenovo server, it seems to be a known problem they don't really work on POST screens (but do come to life after booting, not much help). You need to stick a network cable into the management port and try the default remote management configuration (on mine this was on a sticker on the unit, below are the defaults from the manual):

IPV4 Address 192.168.2.100/24
User Name: root
Password: Huawei12#$

This seems to document the error codes displayed by the front panel "Fault Diagnosis LED" Error Code Handling - FusionServer Pro Rack Server iBMC Alarm Handling 48 - Huawei Yes, the F0x are fan errors.

By the way, does anyone have a copy of the "Independent Remote Console" software? The web one is Java based and Huawei don't seem to be willing to register me as a homelab user to allow downloads from their site...

typek

Feb 27, 2016
Have you tried reseating the fans?
Done that now, no change. I can confirm all 4 fans are working though.

I had no luck with a VGA-HDMI adapter on one of these or a Lenovo server, it seems to be a known problem they don't really work on POST screens (but do come to life after booting, not much help). You need to stick a network cable into the management port and try the default remote management configuration (on mine this was on a sticker on the unit, below are the defaults from the manual):

IPV4 Address 192.168.2.100/24
User Name: root
Password: Huawei12#$

This seems to document the error codes displayed by the front panel "Fault Diagnosis LED" Error Code Handling - FusionServer Pro Rack Server iBMC Alarm Handling 48 - Huawei Yes, the F0x are fan errors.

By the way, does anyone have a copy of the "Independent Remote Console" software? The web one is Java based and Huawei don't seem to be willing to register me as a homelab user to allow downloads from their site...
Thanks, at least the video output seems to be the normal behavior for these then. Good tip with remote management. I'm picking up an old 19" LCD display for 7 eur in an hour which has a VGA port. So hopefully gonna see something.

Labs

Mar 21, 2019
Be careful with those HDMI-VGA cables. The HDMI end must be in the source (Video Card) and VGA on the Display side. It is not bi-directional from my experience.

As for the fans, I also had issues but only with one fan and the fix was to replace the fan. My fan was working at full speed and when I moved the fan to a different slot the error code also moved. So fan was working but probably not detected by the motherboard. Also note that there are different fans for this server, some are single fan and some are double fan, much thicker more airflow but also more noise.

typek

Feb 27, 2016
Any Add-in PCIe cards plugged?
Which processor modell?
Pulled out all PCIe cards. Good question about the CPUs. I installed 2x E5-2690 v4 which have TDP 135W. That might be the cause of alarms according to iBMC. Are there other fans for this server?

EDIT: Was told there are fans 02310YKP for TDP 135W+.

Be careful with those HDMI-VGA cables. The HDMI end must be in the source (Video Card) and VGA on the Display side. It is not bi-directional from my experience.

As for the fans, I also had issues but only with one fan and the fix was to replace the fan. My fan was working at full speed and when I moved the fan to a different slot the error code also moved. So fan was working but probably not detected by the motherboard. Also note that there are different fans for this server, some are single fan and some are double fan, much thicker more airflow but also more noise.
Yeah, my cable was other way around. Bough an old LCD that came with VGA cable too, in the end probably cheaper than getting any other cable :)

Facing a new issue now though - flashed the raid controller to IT mode and while the controller itself seems to detect SSDs I inserted, Ubuntu install can't. Any suggestions? Do I need to load a driver during the setup or something?

EDIT2: Solved this ... idk what I did wrong before. But flashed the controller again, loaded optimized defaults in bios and it's working now.

Attachments

Last edited:

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
Pulled out all PCIe cards. Good question about the CPUs. I installed 2x E5-2690 v4 which have TDP 135W. That might be the cause of alarms according to iBMC. Are there other fans for this server?

EDIT: Was told there are fans 02310YKP for TDP 135W+
Yeah thats exactly the issue. I had the problem when using a Xeon Phi. However I greatly ignored it and manually set the fans.

You can manually set the fans via SSH on BMC.

ipmcset -d fanmode -v 1 0
# 1 means manuall, 0 timeout in seconds (0 = infinite)

ipmcset -d fanlevel -v <percentage>

26-30% percent is enough without gpus.

Reactions: typek

typek

Feb 27, 2016
Yeah thats exactly the issue. I had the problem when using a Xeon Phi. However I greatly ignored it and manually set the fans.

You can manually set the fans via SSH on BMC.

ipmcset -d fanmode -v 1 0
# 1 means manuall, 0 timeout in seconds (0 = infinite)

ipmcset -d fanlevel -v <percentage>

26-30% percent is enough without gpus.
Thanks, that helped during the setup. Used this from the OS afterwards: GitHub - odarriba/huawei-ibmc-fan-control: Systemd service to manually control fan speeds using iBMC in Huawei servers

Looking for this now too..

Last edited:

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Thanks for your reply; Huawei are really cheap now?

What about Cisco ucs c240 m4 ? Are better than Huawei?
If you get Ciscos be ready to gamble with fan speeds.
If you put in hdds or pci cards it doesn't like you'll have 100% fanspeed you can't control. These have double fans that are very quiet and can be tuned for near silence. I do prefer the Cisco ipmi though. But you can already get hpe and dell around these prices at auction frequently.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
The huawei boxes are still the cheapest full front v3/v4 in Europe.
The last huwei boxes i bought i paid 90€/ea so they must have ALOT with what offers they are accepting for fairly low quantities.

After esxi8 ive switched to buying cisco c240 m4 tho.
They are not far behind in price now (been paying 140-160) and have the cheapest 40gbe cards around (that im aware of) with esxi8 support.
Started reselling all my huaweis domesticly to move all over to c240 m4 for the networking.

If looking for multiple and dont need the 40gbe id look towards the 2u4node stuff tho.

michel333

Apr 9, 2023
If you get Ciscos be ready to gamble with fan speeds.
If you put in hdds or pci cards it doesn't like you'll have 100% fanspeed you can't control. These have double fans that are very quiet and can be tuned for near silence. I do prefer the Cisco ipmi though. But you can already get hpe and dell around these prices at auction frequently.
Omg! You can't configure fan speed on Cisco server depending on pcie card ? That sounds crazy!

michel333

Apr 9, 2023
The huawei boxes are still the cheapest full front v3/v4 in Europe.
The last huwei boxes i bought i paid 90€/ea so they must have ALOT with what offers they are accepting for fairly low quantities.

After esxi8 ive switched to buying cisco c240 m4 tho.
They are not far behind in price now (been paying 140-160) and have the cheapest 40gbe cards around (that im aware of) with esxi8 support.
Started reselling all my huaweis domesticly to move all over to c240 m4 for the networking.

If looking for multiple and dont need the 40gbe id look towards the 2u4node stuff tho.
So you think that c240 m4 are good build. Do you have problems with fan speeds or noise leveled? I think you have place for two pcie riser cards. I saw some for 400 - 500 euro with CPU and RAM included. Is that a good price? I would also like to install a Tesla v100 GPU. Not sure which server will support it better, Huawei or Cisco; or better look for hpe dl380 gen 9; i saw some insane deals on this...i didn't bought and somebody else bought; i felt bad for didn't jump on it when I saw the deals;
Thanks for your reply!

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Do you have problems with fan speeds or noise leveled?
Im not having any issue with them ramping up.
My boxes are not very full specs tho, its just the cisco 2x40gbe mlom card and a tesla P4/P40.
Was planning on P3605/P4608 card in each for cache but c240 m4 supports converting 2 bays to U.2 so just gone that route instead.

If getting fan issues and not able to override it then probably same fix as those running firmwares with the fan issue on HP boxes.
Short 2 pins in header to let server read it as 100% and replace fans with lower rpm.

saw some for 400 - 500 euro with CPU and RAM included. Is that a good price?
Depends how much ram i suppose, cpus have plummeted for v4 pretty much costwise.
Feels like "not so long" since 2683v4 was 60-80$ and now i had 25$/ea accepted last i bought some.

Im no expert but have bought a few hundread servers in Europe by now, as i see it you generaly come out better speccing a CTO than buying with a spec if not winning a bid below expected.

or better look for hpe dl380 gen 9;
I got one dl380 gen9 24sff and as much as i like it, its a fairly expensive spec.
With gen9 they moved to using 8+8+8 as 3 seperate cages and a pcie sas expander card rather than option for one large backplane like previous gens.

Even if you get one already 24sff they have generaly removed the card+cables.
And just the sas3 expander card was costing same as the full huawei box last i looked.

The 40gbe cards i got for c240 M4 is M4+M5 supported so might be going with cisco for next gen also i suppose.
Started seeing some M5 CTO boxes pop up in the 300-400$ area in low quantities.

If 25/100gbe switches drop alot in pricing before that im probably dumping cisco and going with HPE Apollo.

Last edited:
Reactions: michel333

michel333

Apr 9, 2023
Im not having any issue with them ramping up.
My boxes are not very full specs tho, its just the cisco 2x40gbe mlom card and a tesla P4/P40.
Was planning on P3605/P4608 card in each for cache but c240 m4 supports converting 2 bays to U.2 so just gone that route instead.

If getting fan issues and not able to override it then probably same fix as those running firmwares with the fan issue on HP boxes.
Short 2 pins in header to let server read it as 100% and replace fans with lower rpm.

Depends how much ram i suppose, cpus have plummeted for v4 pretty much costwise.
Feels like "not so long" since 2683v4 was 60-80$ and now i had 25$/ea accepted last i bought some.

Im no expert but have bought a few hundread servers in Europe by now, as i see it you generaly come out better speccing a CTO than buying with a spec if not winning a bid below expected.

I got one dl380 gen9 24sff and as much as i like it, its a fairly expensive spec.
With gen9 they moved to using 8+8+8 as 3 seperate cages and a pcie sas expander card rather than option for one large backplane like previous gens.

Even if you get one already 24sff they have generaly removed the card+cables.
And just the sas3 expander card was costing same as the full huawei box last i looked.

The 40gbe cards i got for c240 M4 is M4+M5 supported so might be going with cisco for next gen also i suppose.
Started seeing some M5 CTO boxes pop up in the 300-400$ area in low quantities.

I dont see c240 M5 boxes for 300-400 euros... where can i fond it?

If 25/100gbe switches drop alot in pricing before that im probably dumping cisco and going with HPE Apollo.