EU Huawei RH2288H V3 (ddr4/v4) full fronts 187€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
SD Card and USB boot no longer supported in ESXi 7,3+ . You need an HDD/SSD to install the newer versions.
They walked that back after not even 2 weeks, just too many unhappy customers.

its still officialy supported for 7.x/8 if you do SD/USB + secondary storage for the write intensive stuff.
(that is the general recommendations to do for a regular drive also.)

If i dont remember too wrong the tbw for ssd is 300 minimum recommended, i know production enviroments doing 1000+ tbw SD cards.
But its frowned upon if not moving parts onto secondary (as in vmware support will still help you but remind you its a bad idea).

Last edited:

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
They walked that back after not even 2 weeks, just too many unhappy customers.

its still officialy supported for 7.x/8 if you do SD/USB + secondary storage for the write intensive stuff.
(that is the general recommendations to do for a regular drive also.)
Yes, i see that now. But as i see it, it does not make sense to USB for boot.(When you have to have atleast 1 disk for Boot banks + OSDATA partitions, or use a datastore on 1+ disk or a LUN). Why not just install vSphere on the same disk(s) as the datastore if you really want to use an unoptimal install.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Did you pick it under the boot manager? (Press F11 or F3 to go to the boot manager screen for selecting boot option)
How should the look like?
I have 2x ESXi in there but non of them Boot. Maybe the are from some former installation.

Is there a Linux Distribution with a GUI who I can from an USB Drive and Format all Drives in there?

Sogndal94

Nov 7, 2016
Norway
How should the look like?
I have 2x ESXi in there but non of them Boot. Maybe the are from some former installation.

Is there a Linux Distribution with a GUI who I can from an USB Drive and Format all Drives in there?
Are you by any chance using UEFI bios? I guess it could be EFI entrys left from other older installs, in that case you can maybe remove them if you boot into the UEFI BIOS under boot option(or something like that). if not there is a helppost on this here: RH2288H V3 Server V100R003 User Guide 46
I am not sure why you would need to wipe them, but i guess you can use: GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Yes, i see that now. But as i see it, it does not make sense to USB for boot.(When you have to have atleast 1 disk for Boot banks + OSDATA partitions, or use a datastore on 1+ disk or a LUN). Why not just install vSphere on the same disk(s) as the datastore if you really want to use an unoptimal install.
There are still certified readynodes that have motherboards with SD/USB for hypervisor.
That can be running specs that does not have a spare bay/pci-e slot to add something newer.

Like the typical wall of blades that do not have hba and only 1x SD/USB on mobo for it.

Half of mine got 2x SD as native raid1 on mobo, just slapped SD cards with high enough TBW to run esxi for about 2 decades in them.

Sogndal94

Nov 7, 2016
Norway
There are still certified readynodes that have motherboards with SD/USB for hypervisor.
That can be running specs that does not have a spare bay/pci-e slot to add something newer.

Like the typical wall of blades that do not have hba and only 1x SD/USB on mobo for it.

Half of mine got 2x SD as native raid1 on mobo, just slapped SD cards with high enough TBW to run esxi for about 2 decades in them.
I get your point, but all the installs i have seen(that dont use HDD/SSD/Satadom as boot) has been running iScsi LUNs for those type of blades :)

Does your SD cards have a 120TBW and 100MB/s + R/W ? ;) as this is the requmendation on vSphere boot devices.(i only remember this from one of the questions on the VCP-DCV 2019 exam :) )

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Does your SD cards have a 120TBW and 100MB/s + R/W ? ;) as this is the requmendation on vSphere boot devices.(i only remember this from one of the questions on the VCP-DCV 2019 exam :) )
TBW is 1400 something and 100/40 on R/W if i dont remember wrong.

Was the cheap option out of the recommendations from vmware when trying to decide on one before they walked it back.

Reactions: Sogndal94

odabajo

Oct 8, 2022

luco_mtb

May 25, 2020
I have just released a fan control script for those of you wanting to have a quiet Huawei RH2288Hv3, but wanting to also control temperatures.

It measures the CPU temperature and adjust the fan speed accordingly (minimum 20%, as expected).
For that it uses the SNMP interface of iBMC, so no SSH access needed.

Can be found on GitHub: GitHub - odarriba/huawei-ibmc-fan-control: Systemd service to manually control fan speeds using iBMC in Huawei servers

Hope it helps!
[/COTIZAR]
thank you so much

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
I have just released a fan control script for those of you wanting to have a quiet Huawei RH2288Hv3, but wanting to also control temperatures.

It measures the CPU temperature and adjust the fan speed accordingly (minimum 20%, as expected).

Can be found on GitHub: GitHub - odarriba/huawei-ibmc-fan-control: Systemd service to manually control fan speeds using iBMC in Huawei servers

Hope it helps!
Anyway to run this outside of a systemd distro (like slackware cause unraid). Outside of just making it a Docker.

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
At the end it is just a bash script. You can put it somewhere and call it using cron.
The requirements aren't available easily either (slackware doesn't have apt and neither does unraid by consequence) . I'll just make a container. Not about to fidle with packages in a NAS.

odabajo

Oct 8, 2022
I have flashed the controller of the RH2288Hv3 server to IT mode, but since then I'm having some issues while booting in EFI mode: from time to time it just hangs on boot with a message "Loading EFI driver, it can take up to 1 minute". But nothing happends, even wasiting 30 minutes for it.

When that happens I have to access the remote console, reset the server and access the boot menu for it to boot properly. Note that it hangs while doing the HDD recognition. The booting drives are on the SATA controller of the board, so it should not be affected by the RAID controller.

Does anyone faced something similar?

Also, I tried flashing it back to IR mode, but it fails. Does anyone flashed it back to IR mode? How is the process?

BMacD

May 17, 2019

Hope it helps!
Thanks, this is awesome. Server is inaudible. Now I have to buy a new UPS as its fans (Eaton 5125) are constantly on and annoying!

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
How to boot from an Internal Flash drive?
Knoppix see them, the ESXi 8 Installer saw it (also the SSD who its a copy as i see).
So?
Thanks

AsTuRkInG

Nov 9, 2022
Does anyone know which cable is needed to power a gpu connected to the riser?
I can't find pinout information and I wouldn't want to mess up a gpu by testing.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
Does anyone know which cable is needed to power a gpu connected to the riser?
I can't find pinout information and I wouldn't want to mess up a gpu by testing.
Yes, depends on the GPU. The riser has EPS 12V 8 PIN. I do have a M60 and P40.

What GPU you want to power? Consumer (PCIe) or Server GPU (EPS) like a Tesla?

AsTuRkInG

Nov 9, 2022
Yes, depends on the GPU. The riser has EPS 12V 8 PIN. I do have a M60 and P40.

What GPU you want to power? Consumer (PCIe) or Server GPU (EPS) like a Tesla?
Im planing to use a regular nvidia gpu to transcode video and I just need 1 connector