EU Huawei RH2288H V3 (ddr4/v4) full fronts 187€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
If you could post the files and tools, it would be great
I used used Rufus to create a Freedos bootable memory stick.
Then I downloaded the 9300-8i IT firmware and tools from:

Before flashing it's a good idea to do sas3flash -list and save the sas address so it can be re-added later.
I had to erase the flash since the sas3flash tool does not support writing IT firmware over IR firmware.
Should be able to use the standard flashing guides:
Just ignore the Step 2, and remove .efi from the commands.

-j

Reactions: bateman and kold

SecCon

Arkham Asylum Server Mgmt
May 26, 2022
I am still sticking with LFF, storage prices determine what I will focus on and 6 to 8TB LFF drives are still a helluva lot cheaper than similar SFF SSD drives. I have yet to do the math for larger drives but when those prices start falling I might start with getting a 1U 4xLFF at, say, 12TB each, rather than a 2U with, say, 12 SFF drives at 4TB each. SSD drives if possible, of course, but you wont get higher R/W speeds, between comps, than your network can handle anyways.

Is there something wrong with my reasoning?

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
My main stack is 2.5" flash only and i got some lower spec 3.5" for the slower bulk storage.

Kinda been tempted by the 36LFF huawei units, would not be suprised if they accepted 100/ea for a stack.
High shipping but not too bad total cost if they accept 100.

Reactions: SecCon and bateman

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
This still one of the best EU deals for a 12xLFF server? Really only looking for a chassis, but they be damn cheap...

Reactions: Samir

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
This still one of the best EU deals for a 12xLFF server? Really only looking for a chassis, but they be damn cheap...
Cheap, quiet, Standart. These are still the best servers for a budget v4 lff build. They still have a lot so if you offer 70 lr 80 for the barebones you'll probably get it.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
You can often get cisco c240 m4 for same price in EU as 12LFF also.

Not sure if any listings left of supermicro cse829u x10drui+ 12LFF boxes left, the softlayer branded ones was going around 100-150€ recently.

The huaweis is the cheapest standing offer that also has 2sff on rear tho.

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Both the Cisco and the supermicros are much louder btw. And the Cisco doesn't even have controllable fan speed.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
Cool thanks. Any issues / preference in the community re the IPMI? If it's better/worse for Huawei?

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
And it DOES NOT require a Licence like other for KVM.
By the way I have one at Home if someone have an question.
What I like the fit a ton of PCI-E HW inside! In my case SSD.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
And it DOES NOT require a Licence like other for KVM.
Well some functions, storage and real time monitoring, require correct drivers and additional software installed on the server like IBMA.2 . I never got IBMA 2 to work with that.
Also, you, we, all of us, have issues getting newer versions of IBMC or BIOS from Huawei. That may of course not be a huge problem for most, but rather bad if we can't access security releases with microcode patches addressing security exploits like Downfall and others (if applicable).

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Well some functions, storage and real time monitoring, require correct drivers and additional software installed on the server like IBMA.2 . I never got IBMA 2 to work with that.
Also, you, we, all of us, have issues getting newer versions of IBMC or BIOS from Huawei. That may of course not be a huge problem for most, but rather bad if we can't access security releases with microcode patches addressing security exploits like Downfall and others (if applicable).
Have you just tried asking? I do have an in warranty Huawei switch so that might help but they've bent over backwards to be helpful. They gave me all the files that are blocked behind tac (or whatever Huawei calls it) after I just asked. I had to register my server and that was a pain but after it's been nothing but smooth sailing.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
I am registered at Huawei. Or rather was, they removed my access to files, even if older.

1710184527515.png

I have also asked at the Huawei Forums why they do not allow access to later files, provided they exist and got a "no" as reply.

Just two days ago I received an e-mail from Supermicro with a BIOS update for my 5019S-TN4 server that was released in 2016, which is actually a few years older than the Huawei server.

• Love
Reactions: Your name or

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Consumer yes. 3090 no. I've ran 2070s and 3060s. Made the GPU power cables myself cause I'm cheap. They increase the fan speed but mine is manual so that wasn't an issue.