ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
In an earlier post in this thread (here) , i RolloZ that disabled cores in the ES versions of Ice-lake based Xeons. Did anyone here try such things on the Sapphire Rapids ES Xeons?
it is the same. if you disable half of the cores, the remaining can boost to max. turbo.

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
ice lake, sapphire rapids and emerald rapids have only P cores, no E-cores here.
maybe you refer to Intel SST-BF ?
I am not doubting your expertize but, for example on the intel website with specs of the 8470 i see:
Low_High_Prio_Cores_8470.JPG
I thought that these low and high priority cores were similar as the 'p' and 'e' cores? Also it looks like they should have different frequencies. But maybe/probably i am wrong. Maybe only the base frequencies are different but the boost frequencies the same.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I am not doubting your expertize but, for example on the intel website with specs of the 8470 i see:
View attachment 33840
I thought that these low and high priority cores were similar as the 'p' and 'e' cores? Also it looks like they should have different frequencies. But maybe/probably i am wrong. Maybe only the base frequencies are different but the boost frequencies the same.
this is Intel SST-BF ( Intel® Speed Select-Technology - Base frequency )
you can configure OS to send high priorised workload to High Priority cores, and let the low Priority cores do background services i.e.
this is NOT the default. you have to enable SST-BF in BIOS and use compatible OS.

Reactions: DHamov

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I thought that these low and high priority cores were similar as the 'p' and 'e' cores? Also it looks like they should have different frequencies
this is NOT the default. you have to enable SST-BF in BIOS and use compatible OS.

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
If one would run 2 QYFS (2x350W) on a GIBABYTE MS73-HB1 dual socket board (2x270W) are they restricted in performance, in the sense that for example Boost/Turbo's are not working?

Can they pull more than 270W each on the board?

A single QYFS does CB R23 score 65K, but i could not find any values of screenshots with 2xQYFS benchmarks, it would be interesting to know that score.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
If one would run 2 QYFS (2x350W) on a GIBABYTE MS73-HB1 dual socket board (2x270W) are they restricted in performance, in the sense that for example Boost/Turbo's are not working?
i can say only this: they work on MS73-HB2 - cinebenchR24 all cores 2800mhz and draw each around 350W.
we have not enough memory to give valid results.
A single QYFS does CB R23 score 65K, but i could not find any values of screenshots with 2xQYFS benchmarks, it would be interesting to know that score.
i see scores only 88000 pts with 2x 8490H QS CBR23 but can be with only two RAM modules or whatever.

heromode

May 25, 2020
just tried to snipe a MS73-HB1 just for fun, i offered 510 EUR about 7 seconds before the end.. wonder what would have happened if i had offered 520.. lol, nothing would have happened i'm sure.. It's a brutal game this.

GIBABYTE MS73-HB1 Dual LGA4677 4th Intel Xeon E-ATX motherboard DDR5 4800 MHz | eBay

Oh well, on to the next one..

Edit, on another thought, maybe off of stupid intel and their overpriced shit. Maybe time to embrace the chinese markets, and stop worrying

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
just tried to snipe a MS73-HB1 just for fun, i offered 510 EUR about 7 seconds before the end.. wonder what would have happened if i had offered 520.. lol, nothing would have happened i'm sure.. It's a brutal game this.

GIBABYTE MS73-HB1 Dual LGA4677 4th Intel Xeon E-ATX motherboard DDR5 4800 MHz | eBay

Oh well, on to the next one..
Haha i was also bidding on that one, my last bid of 580 did not get trough in time. Was really kind of frustrated about that. These Mainboards do not pop up very often, especially for these prices. My only imaginary comfort is to think that it was maybe faulty, who would sell such a thing now, for such a price? I feld almost bad for the seller. He seemed a nice, guy even sent me a screenshot of when he bought it. In Europe these boards are hard to get, by reputable channels at the moment, even if you are ready to pay double of this. He also bought it from ebay, and seller in China, there is almost no other choice, but probably not very good warranty, i don't know maybe Gigabyte is not so picky with sales channels.

Last edited:

sam55todd

May 11, 2023

Can they pull more than 270W each on the board?
Electronics operating in environments outside/above characteristics these were designed for - tends to rapidly degrade and drifting away from initial specifications. e.g. VRMs/MOSFETs handling higher currents will likely to get permanently distorted parameters (gates/junctions don't function as designed) or get overheat damage (same with capacitors operating above specified temperatures) - not necessarily in one day (for instance with warranty of 2 years it gradually gets permanently glitchy in just 3 months, with first unexpected PC crash in 1 month, then in 2 weeks, then more frequently), generally systems becomes unstable leading to crashes/freezes/lockdowns, this kind of mainboard damage mostly is not covered by warranty.
I'm pretty sure most manufacturers do put detection protection in BIOS to prevent booting CPUs out of designed range (and might have some memory storage buffers to store information if these rules were overridden by user).
This is one of the reasons why using ES on MB where manufacturer has specified approved/certified CPUs might void warranty.

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
Haha i was also bidding on that one, my last bid of 580 did not get trough in time. Was really kind of frustrated about that. These Mainboards do not pop up very often, especially for these prices. My only imaginary comfort is to think that it was maybe faulty, who would sell such a thing now, for such a price? I feld almost bad for the seller. He seemed a nice, guy even sent me a screenshot of when he bought it. In Europe these boards are hard to get, by reputable channels at the moment, even if you are ready to pay double of this. He also bought it from ebay, and seller in China, there is almost no other choice, but probably not very good warranty, i don't know maybe Gigabyte is not so picky with sales channels.
lol, he's italian, who knows.. might be a scam, or a perfectly valid trade. I bought my xeon E-2186G from a private italian seller for 220 EUR now 2 years ago, it's still a good price today. maximum risk, maximum gain.

But anything from Italy is high risk as well.

heromode

May 25, 2020
basically the current price levels of these scalable gen4/5 mobo's is determined by CPU mined crypto's, and xeon ES price points, made extremely clear by @RolloZ170.

Now, all this is linked to the global financial system, and thus the current global reserve currency, and thus, US domestic politics, and the question about the candidate Donald J. Trump.

That is the reason all MS73-HBx motherboards are trading at about $1500 ATM. If i was a betting man (which i am), and i had the money, i'd pay that price today.

scouzi

Jan 8, 2024
basically the current price levels of these scalable gen4/5 mobo's is determined by CPU mined crypto's, and xeon ES price points, made extremely clear by @RolloZ170.

Now, all this is linked to the global financial system, and thus the current global reserve currency, and thus, US domestic politics, and the question about the candidate Donald J. Trump.

That is the reason all MS73-HBx motherboards are trading at about $1500 ATM. If i was a betting man (which i am), and i had the money, i'd pay that price today.
What? The crypto market is driving some demand for Sapphire Rapids? Which coins?

Also have a question. Can I run MS73-HBx with only one CPU? What is the penalty? Might want to go dual in the near future but I don't want to commit right away.

heromode

May 25, 2020
What? The crypto market is driving some demand for Sapphire Rapids? Which coins?
here you can calculate the monthly and annual value of your mobo + cpu.

CryptUnit - Hi. What are you mining today?

then you can compare the results to the prices of all motherboards and cpu's especially on the chinese markets. You will arrive at a 1:1 result, when you include the price of electricity in your area.

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024

Also have a question. Can I run MS73-HBx with only one CPU? What is the penalty? Might want to go dual in the near future but I don't want to commit right away.
Yesterday i spoke with an ebay seller he run a single QYFS on MS73-HB1 with two memory sticks 4800 and got 63K CBR23, which is pretty amazing because a QYFS in ASUS W790 is doing about 65K, with fancy power and thermal settings, all dimm slots populated and 5600Mhz mem. Also the MS73 has 2 M.2 gen 4 directly to the cpu. But then again if the board is only for 270W, and you run a 350W cpu, there might be some long term durability issues as discussed above. But maybe if you only run one 350W cpu instead of two 270W maybe there is no problem. Strangly enough the MS73 seems to have more power connectors than the Supermicro X13DAI-T which is ok for 2x350W.

Last edited: