ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
Tried to run statistics check on LGA4677 Xeon ES/QS Sapphire Rapids ebay sales and trends (mostly towards QS due to compatibility requirements)
@Kizune pretty much dominates the market without significant competition, practically holds monopoly (on actual sales)
All Chinese suppliers keep charging crazy prices measured in several $Ks for QS stones which can easily fail within a month and aren't covered by warranty not to mention exposure to stability problems.
Perhaps there's something wrong with me and I don't understand how used hardware market with fast technology depreciation works anymore.

Last edited:

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
Does anyone have info about what accelerators are available in Sapphire Rapids 8469C (QS / Q17M , manufactured in May-22) ?
Feels like ebay seller does best effort to communicate and with sending detailed images (of bare CPU + some HWINfo on listing) but without technical expertise and motivation on that side I can't get this info from them.
thanks.

p.s. this page mentions some flags but IMV there's nothing new
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc art arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch cpuid_fault epb cat_l3 cat_l2 cdp_l3 invpcid_single intel_ppin cdp_l2 ssbd mba ibrs ibpb stibp ibrs_enhanced tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid ept_ad fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm cqm rdt_a avx512f avx512dq rdseed adx smap avx512ifma clflushopt clwb intel_pt avx512cd sha_ni avx512bw avx512vl xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc cqm_mbm_total cqm_mbm_local split_lock_detect avx_vnni avx512_bf16 wbnoinvd dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_notify hwp_act_window hwp_epp hwp_pkg_req hfi avx512vbmi umip pku ospke waitpkg avx512_vbmi2 gfni vaes
vpclmulqdq avx512_vnni avx512_bitalg tme avx512_vpopcntdq rdpid bus_lock_detect cldemote movdiri movdir64b enqcmd fsrm uintr md_clear serialize tsxldtrk pconfig arch_lbr amx_bf16 avx512_fp16 amx_tile amx_int8 flush_l1d arch_capabilities

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Does anyone have info about what accelerators are available in Sapphire Rapids 8469C (QS / Q17M , manufactured in May-22) ?
this ist 'C'onfidential SKU for select customers(OEM)
ask for a HWinfo Report
QAT looks like this
Code:
PCI Bus #232

Intel 4xxx Accelerator

[General Information]
Device Name:    Intel 4xxx Accelerator
Original Device Name:    Intel 4xxx Accelerator
Device Class:    Co-Processor
Revision ID:    30
PCI Address (Bus:Device:Function) Number:    232:0:0
PCI Latency Timer:    0
Hardware ID:    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4940&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_30

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
I've tried to ask seller but unfortunately they're reluctant putting CPU into the socket on every random request, receiving a bare picture of FPU from them was the max I could get.

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
// ... sam55todd said: some things are ... //

Intel QS are identical with production units except with ES bit set to 1.
they have no warranty because they are free intel gifts(NDA) for qualified customers.
I guess source of confusion is coming from what I read on ebay, some sellers advertise their QS having model numbers starting with Q1xx but some publish actual pictures of units having model number in SRxxx format
Like those two SRM7J and Q17G are both advertised as 8490H QS (even having closely similar production year/week: 2022-May/June but different factories), in both cases sellers say these are actual pictures (leaving out the question of trust of course).
1696686895406.png

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I guess source of confusion is coming from what I read on ebay, some sellers advertise their QS having model numbers starting with Q1xx but some publish actual pictures of units having model number in SRxxx format
Qxxx is ES or QS. SRxxx is production unit,never QS. the chinese re-print the IHS to hide the original customer of the processor.
i have asked one seller with blind SPR CPU in the listing which QDF/Sspec it is. he anwered that he print the IHS on request.

Reactions: sam55todd

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I've tried to ask seller but unfortunately they're reluctant putting CPU into the socket on every random request, receiving a bare picture of FPU from them was the max I could get.
must not be the report, screenshot of this area shows all you want to know.
SPR_ACCEL.jpg

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
I see x4 each of DSA+QAT+IAX/IAA, looks like any of 8490H/8468H/8454H
but my problem is getting this data on off-roadmap (private/customer/oem) CPU models they drop onto the second-hand market.

Looking at Intel' consolidated specification sheet it feels like all models having [ V , + , P ] index do have all accelerators, some of H models do as well, Y - only with [+] index (therefore covered by first block), haven't seen much data on C or B index (except for Alibaba's 8475B presumably having all), all the rest aren't good for me (lacking IAX/IAA or QAT)

Last edited:

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I am getting Supermicro X12SPA-TF motherboard. Will I able to use one of the ES chips with this motherboard? Considering something cheap to play with:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I am getting Supermicro X12SPA-TF motherboard. Will I able to use one of the ES chips with this motherboard? Considering something cheap to play with:
there is no unofficial BIOS 1.0 for this mobo, no way.
but any stepping D0 (step 6) will work.

Reactions: Bert

mumim0

Sep 27, 2023
Hey everyone, thanks for all your help. I went on vacation for a little bit. Turns out it was a socket problem and I didn't screw the screws tight enough using my cooler.

Reactions: Kizune

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
I finally got around to build up the 8461V @Kizune sent me in August and seem to be in a situation where four (!) of my eight RDIMMs fail to POST on this X13SEI. Two throw "failed component" errors, one says "signal too marginal", and one "fails to train".

I am beginning to suspect this eBay vendor MICRON 32GB 1Rx4 PC5-4800B DDR5 4800MHz ECC Server Memory (MTC20F1045S1RC48BA2) | eBay was less than scrupulous - I paid $40 a DIMM which is like 1/3 of street price and the 50% failure rate could be explained if the DIMMs he sent me were his customer returns, but before I complain to my credit card company is there anyone in the US with a test setup who would be willing to check the DIMMs in question for me?

It may also be CPU seating? The error follows the DIMM, not the slot, but maybe there's some voodoo going on where signal integrity is overall marginal due to some human error...I tightened the screws in a star pattern until then bottomed out which has worked for me in past platforms, can someone with a working system confirm 4677 is the same deal?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I finally got around to build up the 8461V @Kizune sent me in August and seem to be in a situation where four (!) of my eight RDIMMs fail to POST on this X13SEI. Two throw "failed component" errors, one says "signal too marginal", and one "fails to train".
I am beginning to suspect this eBay vendor MICRON 32GB 1Rx4 PC5-4800B DDR5 4800MHz ECC Server Memory (MTC20F1045S1RC48BA2) | eBay was less than scrupulous - I paid $40 a DIMM which is like 1/3 of street price and the 50% failure rate could be explained if the DIMMs he sent me were his customer returns
bought 2x DDR5 16GB used Hynix from ebay too(other seller) both came DOA with missing SMT components.

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
bought 2x DDR5 16GB used Hynix from ebay too(other seller) both came DOA with missing SMT components.
aha, spot on. three of the bad DIMMs were missing resistors (?) near the pins and the fourth had a decoupling capacitor ajar.
anyone know what value the 0201 resistors near the edge connector should be or should I just ohm it out?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
anyone know what value the 0201 resistors near the edge connector should be or should I just ohm it out?
you could check micron/hynix dataheets, they have mostly schematic and resistor values shown.
these resistors have one open end to the slot, ohming out will work too.
i guess 15 22 or 33 ohm