ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kizune

Dec 2, 2022
Also on your screenshot it shows a number of other technologies as unsupported. Not even disabled - unsupported. That is strange. Like VMX - it can be disabled in BIOS but then HWInfo would show it as a red (supported but disabled) rather than gray (unsupported). Also SMX, SGX and TME shown as unsupported. All this is very strange.

Syr

Sep 10, 2017
Hmm. Just got the fresh CPU out of the box, the motherboard is Supermicro X13SEI-F, BIOS 1.4 (latest) factory default settings.
Windows 11 Pro, again - no special settings or drivers installed, fresh copy with the standard chipset drivers downloaded from Supermicro.
That all is very concerning. I would try to reset BIOS settings to the factory default and make sure you installed the chipset driver from Supermicro support page for the motherboard. If you think that the problem is with the CPU - ping me, i will replace it with the one that i just tested.
Ok, I've tried the factory reset of the bios options and installing the chipset driver (at least on win 10 22H2, since that is the drive I have in it right now. I also have a ubuntu 22.04 drive but its not currently installed. Also just to double check, I tried the AMX-TMUL samples in ubuntu 22.04 in WSL2 - same behavior to bare metal ubuntu 22.04). Neither of those have fixed it.

@Kizune @Syr can anyone provide this area ? TMUL is required for AMX-TMUL-Code-Samples, this is accel.
Here are my chip's turbo ratios, incl TMUL which appear to be identical to Kizune's:photo_2023-10-03_23-11-12.jpg

Syr

Sep 10, 2017
Right sorry, I took that off. The cooler is an AlphaCool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 240mm, but even without it installed I won't get anywhere... even the PSU fan will not start when trying to power on
Just another thing to check, but you might over over/under torquing or unequally torquing the mounting screws. The sockets since lga3647 can sometimes be varying degrees of finicky - depending on manufacturing tolerance - about having just the right amount of mounting pressure evenly distributed over the whole socket, otherwise you run into issues such as the CPU not being detected, missing memory channels, or missing pcie lanes. Same goes for AMD's SP3/SP3r2 sockets, hence the included screwdriver with the retail threadripper chips. Its something I've run into before, and I believe Patrick or at least someone on the STH crew have mentioned it being a problem before as well in an article, so it could be worth checking.

Also for that reason, running an lga3647/4189/4677 chip without a cooler wont work because the cooler is designed to provide all the mounting pressure, unlike in most sockets with a retention bracket (except SP5 - the retention bracket there is just to stop the chip from falling out of the socket/coming out with the cooler, AMD is using the cooler to provide adequate mounting pressure there as well).

Kizune

Dec 2, 2022
Ok, I've tried the factory reset of the bios options and installing the chipset driver (at least on win 10 22H2, since that is the drive I have in it right now. I also have a ubuntu 22.04 drive but its not currently installed. Also just to double check, I tried the AMX-TMUL samples in ubuntu 22.04 in WSL2 - same behavior to bare metal ubuntu 22.04). Neither of those have fixed it.

Here are my chip's turbo ratios, incl TMUL which appear to be identical to Kizune's:View attachment 32011
All I can offer at this point is that you DM me your address and I send you a replacement chip hoping that the problem is not in the motherboard. Seems like our setups are as similar as it can be and at that I can’t see any setting or upgrade that might affect the missing instructions set.

Reactions: Syr

Syr

Sep 10, 2017
All I can offer at this point is that you DM me your address and I send you a replacement chip hoping that the problem is not in the motherboard. Seems like our setups are as similar as it can be and at that I can’t see any setting or upgrade that might affect the missing instructions set.
Thanks, I'll reach out shortly.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Here are my chip's turbo ratios, incl TMUL which appear to be identical to Kizune's:
this Q16Z supports the std. AMX instructions
not the AMX-complex & AMX PF16 instructions.

Last edited:

sam55todd

May 11, 2023

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
1696411213353.png

Notice my microcode is different too (much older) 2B000161 vs 2B000481, so might have to update BIOS.

Last edited:

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
But I had an incident with LGA4677 CPU0 socket (x13DEI), one of plastic nut holders broke off from cooler (which is not a problem by itself since nut can still be used to tighten the heatsink base on the same bolt), I've picked all the fragments (I thought) from the bottom underneath of it but as it turned out one tiny fragment was stuck inside the heatsink and fell off onto the socket during the installation, I didn't noticed that and started tightening, more than a half way through it felt wobbly so I've decided to remove it and check just to be safe (as at that moment I've assumed it's just strange spring reaction to tightening).
black plastic was on it preventing from right seating and folded 3 pins in one of those red-marked areas (can't remember exactly, and base pic is googled from different MB)
Good thing intuition was triggered and I didn't go for full tightening (would have to throw MB away).

1696414780635.png

So had to use microscope and wooden tooth stick (those sold in packs of hundreds in pharmacies) to gently fold pins back in right position without breaking.

Previous (unrelated to issue of potential socket damage) CPU was ES - 8468V with D0 stepping, didn't have any life at all (although has some challenges with tightening in the beginning, was overly cautious and wasn't tightening it to the end until sensing right resistance level, good thing RolloZ170 brought some more confidence), which even after right seating was always displaying FF boot code (no any boot).

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Last edited:

Syr

Sep 10, 2017
According to intel's page, that code sample was written for sapphirerapids, so it should only require AMX-TMUL: Code Sample: Intel® Advanced Matrix Extensions (Intel® AMX) -... - AMX-COMPLEX is for graniterapids and should not be needed for a sapphirerapids-oriented demo

Kizune mentioned that the features disabled in bios should be listed as red (supported, but disabled), not grey (unsupported).
I can give it a go of enabling SMX and TME in bios in a little bit, but those are the only two that have explicit options in supermicro's bios. There is no option for enabling/disabling AMX.

I can also give it an attempt with newer OSes (at least win 11, which seems to be what everyone else is testing with), though it will take a bit of time to set that up, but I'll try to report back on that later today.
The version of win10 that I got the screenshots in is this build from a few weeks ago September 12, 2023—KB5030211 (OS Builds 19044.3448 and 19045.3448) - Microsoft Support

Syr

Sep 10, 2017
Here is what HWInfo64 reports if I enable SMX, TME, and SGX in the bios (I found the SGX option, it only showed up after enabling TME)

SMX, TME, VMX, and AMX are all still missing
SGX is now listed as supported and enabled
photo_2023-10-04_10-33-06.jpg

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Here is what HWInfo64 reports if I enable SMX, TME, and SGX in the bios (I found the SGX option, it only showed up after enabling TME)

SMX, TME, VMX, and AMX are all still missing
you run UEFI mode right ?

Syr

Sep 10, 2017
Hm, having trouble getting win 11 to install on this system. It errors out during the installation process and drops all the drives off their busses. The win 11 install environment doesn't actually exit or reboot at this point, but it fails to rescan any of the drives until I reboot. Didn't happen with the win10 installer though. Can't devote too much time to debugging it right now since I'm busy working, I'll investigate some more in the evening.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Hm, having trouble getting win 11 to install on this system. It errors out during the installation process and drops all the drives off their busses. The win 11 install environment doesn't actually exit or reboot at this point, but it fails to rescan any of the drives until I reboot. Didn't happen with the win10 installer though. Can't devote too much time to debugging it right now since I'm busy working, I'll investigate some more in the evening.
time to create a AMX on 8461vEVQS+X13SEM thread ?

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
I'm on Win11+X13DEI+8461V+16x8RAM, (plus bunch of other hardware: A4000 GPU, usb card, sound, wifi, etc.) no problems were detected during installation or operations.