ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spelon1

Feb 5, 2021
Seller offered it ($200) so figured I could test it out, worst case I'll swap it to one of the gigabyte servers. I assume there will be some trial and error to get any HP working. Thanks for helping me tho.

Reactions: RolloZ170
Jul 19, 2020
Does anyone have any experience with the Tyan S5652 and the Sapphire Rapids ES/QS parts? Would a D0 stepping part work in that board?

Jul 19, 2020
Thanks, good to know. It's a big thread, I did see that supermicro is no good for ES parts, but I guess I missed the comments on Tyan.

What about the ASRock Rack SPC741D8-2L2T or GIGABYTE MS03-CE0? I'm trying to find something relatively economical that has lots of usable PCIe x16 slots, and I don't really need more than one CPU. MS33-AR0 is not very interesting because half the slots are blocked by the RAM. MS73-HB1 I guess might be a decent option, but I don't really need two CPUs and with only one CPU installed presumably some of the PCIe slots will not be usable. I suppose ASRock Rack SPC741D16X-2T might also be an option worth considering, similar setup as the MS73-HB1.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
What about the ASRock Rack SPC741D8-2L2T or GIGABYTE MS03-CE0?
ASRock C741 series supports ONLY E-Stepping ES/QS/PRD processors, same than supermicro/Tyan.
(maybe the BIOS of ASRockRack/Tyan can be modded,)
Currently ALL Gigabyte C741 boards support D0 stepping SPR-SP ES. if you update BIOS, don't update Intel ME.
QYFP MS03.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020
Got it. Are there any options other than gigabyte that are worth considering? Or is that the only option at the moment that doesn't involve modding the BIOS?

Also, is there a summary/compilation of this sort of information somewhere?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Got it. Are there any options other than gigabyte that are worth considering? Or is that the only option at the moment that doesn't involve modding the BIOS?
8470 ES Q0KL stepping E0 2.1Ghz 52cores.
runs on gigabyte,supermicro and asus. asrock rack not tested.

Last edited:

mumim0

Sep 27, 2023
Hello everyone, I just bought an ASRock EPC621D8A from ebay. I also bought a 8251 QS (QPLC). I put it in my motherboard and plug in my psu and the leds turn on but the computer will not start when I press the power button. Did I mess up and pick the wrong CPU? I also bought two more: QPKD and QMQ9. If it is my CPU that is faulty or incompatible, do you think those two QS CPUs would be fine? Thanks in advance

mumim0

Sep 27, 2023
all of them should work. processor not properly installed or other things wrong (bad mobo/cpu/psu)
Hello, thank you for your response. I just tried a different cpu that came in today (the QS QPKD) and my computer is not booting when I short the power switch pins. Do you think it's possible that it will not start due to an outdated BIOS? Here is a pic of my setup. When the PSU is turned on, two green LEDS are on.

Attachments

Kizune

Dec 2, 2022
Hello, thank you for your response. I just tried a different cpu that came in today (the QS QPKD) and my computer is not booting when I short the power switch pins. Do you think it's possible that it will not start due to an outdated BIOS? Here is a pic of my setup. When the PSU is turned on, two green LEDS are on.
Where is the cpu cooler? I assume you are not trying to turn on your system with CPU just laying in the socket, right? Right?…

• Haha
Reactions: JosefHrib

mumim0

Sep 27, 2023
Where is the cpu cooler? I assume you are not trying to turn on your system with CPU just laying in the socket, right? Right?…
Right sorry, I took that off. The cooler is an AlphaCool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 240mm, but even without it installed I won't get anywhere... even the PSU fan will not start when trying to power on

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the LEDs are power led and BMC ASPEED heartbeat led. should start blinking after some seconds.
If the FAN is not turn on the CPU gets no power and no x86 code is executed, so can not BIOS.
BIOS ver. is printed on the sticker of the socketed BIOS chip.
i see you use not the CPU carrier/frame, maybe bent some socket pins now ?
installation of CPU needs the screws 3&4 turned to the end to lift up the leaf-springs topmost.

mumim0

Sep 27, 2023
the LEDs are power led and BMC ASPEED heartbeat led. should start blinking after some seconds.
If the FAN is not turn on the CPU gets no power and no x86 code is executed, so can not BIOS.
BIOS ver. is printed on the sticker of the socketed BIOS chip.
i see you use not the CPU carrier/frame, maybe bent some socket pins now ?
installation of CPU needs the screws 3&4 turned to the end to lift up the leaf-springs topmost.
BIOS ver. seems valid and cpu socket pins seem okay, pictures: I will buy the cpu frame since the mobo did not come with it when i bought it
EDIT: By the way do you have any recommendations for where to buy the cpu carrier?
EDIT2: I ended up buying this one: SuperMicro BKT-0126L CPU Processer Package Carrier 10122321 | eBay

Last edited:

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
The question RolloZ170 is asking - does it have a life (right led signal) in BMC if you power it without CPU?
Then next debugging step - can you connect to BMC? (still without CPU installed).
Only after all above are fine - we can start CPU install/debug stage
(including checking boot codes even if there are CPU, RAM or peripheral related issues)

Syr

Sep 10, 2017
So I also got one of kizune's E3 8461Vs off ebay, but try as I might, it doesnt seem to have AMX enabled.
HWINFO64 doesn't show AMX (See screenshot), /proc/cpuinfo doesnt show it under flags either:
Code:
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm pni pclmulqdq dtes64 est tm2 ssse3 fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt aes xsave osxsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm cqm rdt_a avx512f avx512dq rdseed adx smap avx512ifma clflushopt clwb intel_pt avx512cd sha_ni avx512bw avx512vl avx512vbmi umip avx512_vbmi2 gfni vaes vpclmulqdq avx512_vnni avx512_bitalg avx512_vpopcntdq rdpid ibrs ibpb stibp ssbd
Trying to compile Intel's AMX demo (GitHub - intel/AMX-TMUL-Code-Samples: Code samples related to Intel(R) AMX) with their default -march=native on gcc-12 doesnt work, claiming that the platform doesnt support it. Overriding it with -march=sapphirerapids does get it to compile, but it crashes upon trying to run the build program.

Any tips for getting AMX enabled? I have it in an X13SEM-F since its supposed to be for a portable system. I tried updating the bios from 1.1 (what it shipped with) to 1.4, which did fix a number of significant bugs with the platform including an inability to turn off, but did not fix the missing AMX instructions. I see that sam55todd previously got AMX working though, also on a supermicro board and using one of the same E3 8461Vs from Kizune, a few pages back.

Also here is the version of microcode running in bios 1.4 for that board:
Code:
Date: 09.05.2023
CPU signature: 000806F8h
Revision: 2B0004B1h
CPU flags: 87h
Checksum: 515E81B0h, valid
Extended header entries: 5
Extended header checksum: 68FF5210h, valid
CPU signature #1: 000806F8h
CPU flags #1: 87h
Checksum #1: 515E81B0h, valid
CPU signature #2: 000806F7h
CPU flags #2: 87h
Checksum #2: 515E81B1h, valid
CPU signature #3: 000806F6h
CPU flags #3: 87h
Checksum #3: 515E81B2h, valid
CPU signature #4: 000806F5h
CPU flags #4: 87h
Checksum #4: 515E81B3h, valid
CPU signature #5: 000806F4h
CPU flags #5: 87h
Checksum #5: 515E81B4h, valid

Attachments

Kizune

Dec 2, 2022
So I also got one of kizune's E3 8461Vs off ebay, but try as I might, it doesnt seem to have AMX enabled.
HWINFO64 doesn't show AMX (See screenshot), /proc/cpuinfo doesnt show it under flags either:
Hmm. Just got the fresh CPU out of the box, the motherboard is Supermicro X13SEI-F, BIOS 1.4 (latest) factory default settings.
Windows 11 Pro, again - no special settings or drivers installed, fresh copy with the standard chipset drivers downloaded from Supermicro.
That all is very concerning. I would try to reset BIOS settings to the factory default and make sure you installed the chipset driver from Supermicro support page for the motherboard. If you think that the problem is with the CPU - ping me, i will replace it with the one that i just tested.
hwinfo_8461v.pnghwinfo_8461v_extend.png