CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
Hardkernel just announced the Odroid-H4 series:

H4: N97 CPU, 1 Intel I226-V 2.5 Gb NIC, PCIe3 x4 NVMe, eMMC option. US$99
H4+: Adds a 2nd NIC, 4 SATA3, dual BIOS. US$139
H4 Ultra: swaps out the N97 for a N305. US$220

Prices are for the board only. Everything else, even the PSU and case, is additional.

All are compatible with their 4 NIC expansion card (US$47, utilizes the NVMe port).

Anyone have any experience with the earlier H2 or H3 models as a router or other uses? Support looks pretty good, judging by their product page and wiki.
I did look at these boards early on last year and while they look solid and better supported once you added in those extras with the nics, psu, case etc the price went off the charts like £300+ and then when I went to final basket it then added VAT and taxes on top and showed £400+ so it was 100% pointless value wise.

For £130-160 you can get similar (4 or 6 port nics) from the likes of cwwk and topton, even if support may be poor (cwwk better imo since they replaced a faulty mobo recently) its just a heck of a lot more cheaper, you could buy 2 maybe 3 units for the price of one Odroid.

Maybe prices have changed though so best to go to final end basket and check cost.

Reactions: Whatever

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
People keep talking about the power adapters and how they should be replaced, but why? "They are shit" is not an answer that's going to cut it for me.
I have a two port N100 CWWK unit that's been running perfectly fine. I think I have had it for over two months. What's (supposedly) wrong with the power adapter it came with?
You don't need to really, all my chinese adaptors have been solid and fine but for safety reasons, a good high quality ps will be better regulated and checked so its perhaps just for peace of mind more then anything.

Napalm

Sep 8, 2021
Bigger issue I have with the Odroid is the lower CPU choice. why wouldn't you want the slightly lower power N100 vs the N97 which is an oddity from what I see so far.

Maybe there will be a N105 soon. anyway point is CWWK makes a similar development board for their X86- P5 or something like that. only has the 2 NIC's which honestly is all I think I want anyway. but still like stovar mentioned, cheaper entry fee still need Ram and SSD so in hand it's still in the 200+ dollar ballpark and you'll have to make a box for it or buy one, and get a PS.

On the Power Supply thing - another item that gets little discussion is that if you are going to leave it running and you leave your house you should strongly consider making sure you have one with a UL rating stamp or the ROHS or something like that. IE it's been tested not to cause a fire on it's own.

Napalm

Sep 8, 2021
Leads me to a question - might need to be in another thread.

I've read a few places that you don't really want the router/gateway device to also do the switching so there is little reason for it to have the extra ports. Thus using a 4 or 6 port version of these boxes as a router/gateway device adds extra overhead, even is very little, when it also has to do switch duty between the ports.

I clearly there are differences of opinion but I thought I would ask.

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
I did look at these boards early on last year and while they look solid and better supported once you added in those extras with the nics, psu, case etc the price went off the charts like £300+ and then when I went to final basket it then added VAT and taxes on top and showed £400+ so it was 100% pointless value wise.

For £130-160 you can get similar (4 or 6 port nics) from the likes of cwwk and topton, even if support may be poor (cwwk better imo since they replaced a faulty mobo recently) its just a heck of a lot more cheaper, you could buy 2 maybe 3 units for the price of one Odroid.

Maybe prices have changed though so best to go to final end basket and check cost.

That was kinda my thought as well. Though in the US I don't believe the price differences are quite as extreme as you illustrate for the UK. If Hardkernel's support is markedly better than what CWWK/etc. offer, then it may be worth it. And judging by the heatsink and fan option, it seems they may have a better grasp on cooling than some of the other devices do.

Bigger issue I have with the Odroid is the lower CPU choice. why wouldn't you want the slightly lower power N100 vs the N97 which is an oddity from what I see so far.

Their product page (linked in my previous post) touches on this. Basically higher boost frequency (potentially useful), and better iGPU (irrelevant here). It would seem open source router builds isn't the primary target market for the H series, but they still see it as a viable one given the expansion option.

Leads me to a question - might need to be in another thread.

I've read a few places that you don't really want the router/gateway device to also do the switching so there is little reason for it to have the extra ports. Thus using a 4 or 6 port version of these boxes as a router/gateway device adds extra overhead, even is very little, when it also has to do switch duty between the ports.

I clearly there are differences of opinion but I thought I would ask.

I don't expect that most people are bridging the ports into a makeshift switch. As you noted it's not a good idea. But there are setups that would require >2 NICs, e.g.:
  • Multiple WAN links.
  • Multiple LAN subnets (and VLANs aren't an option).
  • Link aggregations (LACP).

maksf

Apr 11, 2024
Branding makes a difference. Looks like the units are a bit picky with what they accept. Order the RAM from a vendor where you can send it back if needed. I have tried a Kingston Fury, both 16GB and 32GB (after an upgrade), and both work fine. The 32Gb is described here: https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KF548S38IB-32.pdf
I can confirm that the Kingston Fury Impact KF548S38IB-32 DDR5 4800MHz works fine with the 2 LAN ports model cw-x86-p5-v3-n305.
Memory training took about 40 seconds, during which no beeps, no POST screen, no HDMI signal. The unit reboots and everything is back online.
Worked a couple of hours without issues after that I started memtest86, which finished without errors a few minutes ago.

The unit price (8GBram/128GBnvme) was 284 EUR on amazon (after about one month it's now 291 EUR), and I paid 120 EUR for the 32GB ram, almost half the price of the unit...but everything works just fine and I am happy with it. I never had a problem with this brand (buying them since years 1999/2000 ...and also used to sell them for a few years) but there is no compatibility chart for these units like there is for big laptop brands. Thanks to the members of this forum for pointing me in the right direction as I was tempted to go for another brand/model to save some money.

Sep 10, 2015
People keep talking about the power adapters and how they should be replaced, but why? "They are shit" is not an answer that's going to cut it for me.
I have a two port N100 CWWK unit that's been running perfectly fine. I think I have had it for over two months. What's (supposedly) wrong with the power adapter it came with?
Couple pages back this was discussed and throughout the whole 100+ pages some users reported issues.

CWWK included PS works. Been used by other brands like Qotom for many years all fine. Some users report developing whine noises after a year of use but still functions. The PS included by Topton is lower quality, but they are also priced cheaper. People report it failing under memtest stress test. Under normal/light usage it might be sufficient. These PS typically either have poor quality control or just simply using cheaper parts barely meeting requirements. They're also less efficient converting power/heat. My Meanwell PS feels heavier/heftier than the CWWK one. Have confident it will last longer.

If yours works keep using it. If you want peace of mind get a quality replacement. They aren't too expensive.

KLMR

Jun 25, 2022
Does anyone knows if there is a BIOS option to let the machine boot without any display connected? I'm unable to boot unless something is hooked in the HDMI port. First I thought it was a RAM issue but it just wants a display connected on boot.

Last edited:

Napalm

Sep 8, 2021
does the item require one of those Display port stubs like you use on a quicksync rig?

shouldn't need that to boot.

Bilange

Apr 6, 2024
EDIT 2024-04-20: a bad PSU rail for powering up my SATA drives SEEMS to be the culprit. Running with a 2hr uptime without SATA protocol throwing up errors in the kernel log. Plugging my drive on another SATA power cable (and NOT just it's direct neighbor on the same cable) seems to rule out the trouble. Imagine I did that after having tested different drives on different cables on different SATA connectors on the board... and I even bought a PCIe 1x SATA adapter because I was suspecting a bad SATA chipset on the motherboard... phew!

Anyway, i'll leave the initial post below in case this helps somebody in the future.

--

It's time for me to raise my hand and ask around here, as i'm not sure yet if this is a faulty board or a misconfiguration on my end.

I got the "N305 six-bay NAS monster board", it works fine until I add a SATA SSD to any SATA port to the build. According to the spec sheet, port 1 is dealt by the Intel chipset and ports 2-6 by an additional JMicron SATA Controler. So what I did and experienced is the following:
  • Plugging a disk in port 1 (Intel) gets the drive detected in the BIOS and Proxmox. This is a brand new Crucial BX500 2TB just to mention it, but I've had tested a 120Gb Samsung and an OLD 64Gb Crucial just to see if it changes behaviour. However, as soon as you touch it for writing, kernel logs prints out a long page of ATA exceptions and link resets. I could paste it out here if permitted, kinda long. Linux tries to reconnect to the device at a lower SATA speed, and apparently fails to do so (drive is redetected as a... 1Gb SATA drive?!)
  • Plugging a disk into ports 2 to 6 goes partly detected by Linux, with a whopping 0 Gb drive size according to the lsblk command. I haven't advanced this further as this, along with a way longer POST time (add ~30 seconds in POST while connecting a disk to the JMicron controller), sounds awfully bad. Note however, that I haven't seen an option during POST to hit a keyboard combination to go to JMicron's menu. I also haven't seen an option anywhere in the BIOS to explicitly enable or disable that controller, which is odd.

Any help is appreciated. Kernel logs for the onboard Intel SATA controller is attached to this post. Thanks!!

Attachments

Last edited:

maksf

Apr 11, 2024
Has someone found out which is the folder for the BIOS updates?
Hell, You should extract the iso (in linux you can either mount it or simply extract it like a compressed file) and you should see 2 directories and 1 file:

CW-{MODEL-ID}/
EFI/
auto.nsh

CW-{MODEL-ID} should match your model id (in my case it's CW-ADLNTB-2L for the x86-p5 v3 n305 model).

The model id CW-ADLNTB-2L is exactly the one I see in my unit's bios first page.

The same model id should also be present in the EFI/BOOT/startup.nsh inside echo output lines, in my case:

@echo " *******************************************************"
@echo " *** CW-ADLNTB-1C2L VER_F1 ***"
@echo " *** Supports CW-X86 P5 Series N100 N200 N305 ***"
@echo " *** Automation Script by Jazz Mod by CW-XiaoYun ***"
@echo " ******** Mod Make Date 2024-04-10 ********"
@echo " *******************************************************"

Be extremely careful if/when you boot the bios update iso (either by itself or using ventoy) It seems it starts flashing just after a few seconds if you don't press ESC. I would recommend making a custom iso removing the automatic flash operation (which is performed Fpt.efi -f {NEW-BIOS-ROM}.bin)

I got the right one after trying out 4~6 of them.

I did not actually proceed with the update since I have had no issue with my unit still using a 2023/11/10 dated version.

PS
The file names help to reduce the choices AL = Alder Lake, 12=12th generation, 2L (2 LAN ports), CPU models...

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar and metlrise

maksf

Apr 11, 2024
Aren't these the above and the following product just same product with the 4xnvme addon?

You should use the available chat to ask for extra/variants. They usually respond within 24 hours and also provide custom links to buy desired extras.

kind regards

weeman

Oct 1, 2014
Does anyone know the input voltage range / tolerance for these units?

I'm looking at using one in an automotive environment where the power can range from 11-14.4v and don't really want to add a dcdc converter for constant 12v.

thepsyborg

Oct 19, 2023
Does anyone know the input voltage range / tolerance for these units?

I'm looking at using one in an automotive environment where the power can range from 11-14.4v and don't really want to add a dcdc converter for constant 12v.
Plug it into your portable jumpstart and plug that into your automotive power?

Napalm

Sep 8, 2021
They probably don't publish a value because I bet it's also never been tested. might be worth looking on the power block and seeing if it shows an output volts range. some will some won't.

But I would personally want to use a regulator just to make sure it stays up. Depends on when the item is powered on, if say after the car is started and not during starts - then maybe less worry. If the car has start stop system then some worry. If the system is meant to power on as or when the car starts - major worry.

weeman

Oct 1, 2014
It will be going in a camper trailer and powered by a 12v lithium battery so will always have constant power, it's just when fully charged the batteries will be 14.5v. I'll run it off a buck boost dcdc to play it safe.

What is the best idle power people are getting on the N100 x86-p5? I'm hoping around 5w idle will be possible

c0mputerguru

Oct 31, 2022
Hey folks, I'm looking to build out a pfsense box with one of these cwwk units. Primary goal is to have a drop-in replacement for my off-the-shelf router. Bonus if I can run other infra apps (pihole, home assistant, etc.) alongside to create an "all-in-one" infra box. Trying to figure out whether to get a 2 nic, 4 nic, or larger unit. The following is how I think I understand how each should be used:

2 NIC
Best to be used as a physical firewall. eth0 as LAN, eth1 as WAN. Virtualization can't really happen efficiently because if both NICs were passed through to pfsense, then there's no NIC for proxmox. The only way I think virtualization could happen is if you don't use PCIE passthrough for LAN and set up a virtual bridge where you attach virtual interfaces for each of the VMs, but that would mean all LAN traffic destined for either a VM, WAN, or cross-VLAN would have to be CPU processed by that virtual bridge. However, all that traffic described would have to be CPU processed anyways; so is there really a performance hit? Only thing I can think of is that LAN<->WAN and cross-VLAN traffic gets CPU processed twice; once at the virtual bridge in proxmox, and once in pfsense, and that double processing can't be done at line rate. Am I right in assuming that virtualizing a 2 NIC device would be a bad idea?

4 NIC
Best for a virtualized firewall. eth0 as LAN, eth1 as WAN, using PCIE pass through. eth2 as a virtual bridge for all the other proxmox VMs, and eth3 as a static IP for proxmox management. This is what I'm leaning towards, but wanted to make sure my understanding was right.

There would be a physical cable going from eth0 to a switch, and then from the switch back to eth2 to connect the VMs to the LAN. By doing this, pfsense still gets full hardware control over the NICs it manages, and the only traffic pfsense processes is WAN<->LAN traffic. The only traffic in/out of eth2 should be broadcast or traffic to/from the VMs. From what I can tell, the eth2 traffic is still processed via CPU, but that's going to have to happen to be able to route to the correct VM anyways. I'm not sure whether the eth3 management is strictly necessary or just a "good idea" since ideally I'd like to be able to manage proxmox via the eth2 interface.

Ideally, I'd be able to use eth3 (and even eth2) as additional LAN ports as I've got LAN devices that would sit next to this box. However, I think that means not doing PCIE passthrough on the eth0 and creating a proxmox virtual bridge as described in the 2 NIC setup, which causes the double CPU processing mentioned above. Threads I've read state that its better to have an external switch that has hardware to switch traffic and use that. So I also need to get a 5 port managed 2.5Gbe switch since I want to use VLANs, but those seem a lot less common and a lot more pricey.

6+ NIC
This is where I'm at a loss. As mentioned in the 4 NIC case, ideally I'd be able to use additional NICs as additional LAN ports. In the case of a 6+ NIC case, I could pass through eth4 and eth5 to pfsense and create a virutal bridge in pfsense rather than in proxmox. This avoids double-processing all LAN traffic, but all traffic on eth4 and eth5 would still need to be CPU processed. So I'm back to getting an external switch to increase the number of LAN ports, which would leave eth4 and eth5 unused.

What do people use these devices with 6+ NICs for? Separate subnets seems like a reason, but I can't imagine that's a common use-case given the ease of VLANs vs running additional cabling. Link aggregation seems like another use-case, but with 2.5Gbe, seems it would be hard to saturate even a single link. Am I missing something?