ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Thanks, Are you using that Noctua? Because its is also the best i found so far, but some how Noctua is refusing to write any TDP ratings. So i was doubting, and trying to figure out if it is only compatible with the socket 4677 or can also really handle 300W.
yes, both NH-U12S & NH-U14S DX-4677 can cool up to 500W, there are some tests with W9-3495x.
if you have the 3647 version you can buy the LGA4677 Kit to make them compatible.
cool a 700W CPU with NH-U14S DX 4677

Reactions: DHamov

Noa Himesaka

Jan 11, 2024
Hello, I'm considering to buy QYFU + ASUS W790-Ace. Is there any huge caveats that I should be aware of? Also, 4th gen Xeon seems to require special carrier to install, can I install without it or is there any way to get one?

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
Hello, I'm considering to buy QYFU + ASUS W790-Ace. Is there any huge caveats that I should be aware of? Also, 4th gen Xeon seems to require special carrier to install, can I install without it or is there any way to get one?
Hi i had similar ideas (Asus +QYFU). After some more searching i also found more info and details with extremely good performance here on an earlier post on this very long thread https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ro-ws-w790e-sage-se-spr-sp-es-works-it.41306/
Which also removes the last little bit of doubts about QYFQ performance. And arouse my interest in a QYFS, but they are hard to find it seems.
Anyway it is not about experience about the Asus+QYFU combo and required carier so that question remains open and of interest to me to.

heromode

May 25, 2020
I saw similar scores, but my question is is that really on a single socket board?
Becouse i see some sellers that post similar scores But they have a dual socket board with 2x48=96 cores, 192 threads, and then only run cinebench with half of them (you can change that in the settings). Since then, half of the cpu's are idling, the others clock way higher. That would not be representative for single board performance.
See for example here: Intel Xeon Platinum 48-core 96-threads LGA4677 Sapphire Rapids QYFP (same QYFQ) | eBay
He has a score of around 47000 but in other screenshots its possible to see that he is running it on a dual-socket system.
At least this is how i understand it, maybe i am missing something.
EDIT (after your edit)
If those screenshots are your own, also the score on the single sockets is very good, and the world makes sense again.
Thanks. That was one important thing clarified.
Just as a note that seller has location of Kiyv, Ukraine.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Anyway it is not about experience about the Asus+QYFU combo and required carier so that question remains open and of interest to me to.
carrier(s) come with the motherboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Noa Himesaka

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I saw similar scores, but my question is is that really on a single socket board?
Becouse i see some sellers that post similar scores But they have a dual socket board with 2x48=96 cores, 192 threads, and then only run cinebench with half of them (you can change that in the settings). Since then, half of the cpu's are idling, the others clock way higher. That would not be representative for single board performance.
sure, was mine. you can see 48 cores not 96 right ?
low score on dual cpu config is the result of misconfiguration and or to few memory.

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
Agree, but IMV not only higher core frequency, with x2 CPUs (but configured half down) you have x16 channel memory (but depending on cpu/mb over x2-x3-x4 UPI lanes limitation), not x8 like with one CPU (assuming all rdimms are populated as RolloZ170 notes above)
..but some how Noctua is refusing to write any TDP ratings..
It's not up to FAN alone (which just provides airflow/pressure{RPM}), this is rather characteristic of whole heatsink system(function of ambient temp, number of fins/distance and average area of those{airflow resistance}/air enty angles), in thermodynamics these would be main parameters to calculate how much heat system can dissipate (with some other variables which are rather can be considered as constants in home environment - including humidity, atmospheric pressure / air mass/density {at sea level} etc.). Those depending on where you live, season, can be very different. Having CFM the rest can be derived with some effort and help of physics.
If Noctua specifies wattage then some customers from say middle of Saudi Arabia during the high heat / dry air season might complain about heatsink assembly not meeting declared TDP limit.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
See for example here: Intel Xeon Platinum 48-core 96-threads LGA4677 Sapphire Rapids QYFP (same QYFQ) | eBay
He has a score of around 47000 but in other screenshots its possible to see that he is running it on a dual-socket system.
Just as a note that seller has location of Kiyv, Ukraine.
i see 48 cores. single socket or dual with only one CPU.
CBR23_bclk100 sthC.jpg
the seller states QYFQ is same than QYFP: that is wrong, they have similar frq. but only QYFQ has 4x QAT.
QYFQ needs BIOS package c-states adjusted, QYFP not.(on ASUS W790 boards only)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
some can think low dual socket scores is result of ES2 issue but...
shame i do not know the exact config. of this run, but with QS
2x 8490H QS
8490H QS cbr23.jpg
QYFS 56C on ASUS W790 SAGE SE(single socket)
QYFS ASUS W790 SAGE sth.png

Last edited:

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
not realy. you have 8x dual channel - or 2x 8 channel in best case.
its hard to get a single socket board to have 8 channel interleaving, and will be impossible on dual socket boards.
Yes, sorry, that's what I generally meant saying x16 channel (2x8ch).. Although another interpretation of x16 channel DDR5 RDIMM does really have much much higher GB/s (e.g. as per EMR line below)..
I can see on internet from various AIDA64 memory bandwidth benchmarks this RDIMM DDR5 data is available:
CPU : Read/Write GB/s
2xQ2SP : 28K/14K EMR (ES Emerald rapids, x16ch)
2xQYFP : 517/318 SPR (ES/1500Mhz Quad?)
1x8461V: 247/187 SPR (mine)
1x W9 : 304/227 SPR (W790)
2x8380 : 342/260 (Ice lake)
Suggesting better bandwidth towards x2 scaling (although not really linear) on 2xCPU systems (with single RDIMM per channel, and some degradation if 2xRDIMMs per channel used but 1+ dimm per channel also means lower frequency, e.g. from 4800 to 4400)
This data in practice leads to a conclusion of 32/20 GB/s (Read/Write) per channel (vs theoretical nearly 64GB/s per module DDR5 4800) and suggests nearly x2 higher memory bandwidth on dual-socket setups (assuming all x8 channels are populated with x1 RDIMM) making dual-cpu x16 channel? (leaving aside core counts/effective bandwidth distributions or HBM systems with Xeon Max)..

P.S. couldn't quickly find any AIDA64 memory benchmark results with proper dual-socket production SPR Platinum installed and all RDIMMS populated.

Last edited:

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
i see 48 cores. single socket or dual with only one CPU.

96Cores.JPG
There in his last picture he has 96 cores. so the previous picture with 48 cores, and the benchmarks could be with one cpu active, or with 2 cpu, but on each one only half the cores active! But i was probably just to paranoid. I wrote with him, and he seems an honest seller. But it all does not matter so much any more. The many screenshots of you and others, made it very clear that the low scores were not inherent cpu issue but just setup or memory issue. Thanks for clearing that up.

But now, since low performance can be related to memory, i have some questions about memory.
You write that these Xeons have 4 dual channels memory controllers.
Does that mean i need to buy a minimum 8 RDIMMS to avoid any significant performance penalties?
Or would 4 RDIMMS with dual rank also be OK?
My preference would be 2 RDIMMS , such that i can expand later, but based on what i saw fear this would initially limit performance.
Also there are many 2Rx4 RDIMMS, since the width is only half compared to 2Rx8, would that give signifficant performance penalties?
With performance penalty, i mean roughly differences larger than say 20% from optimal speed assuming the workload is large but fits in memory. I am sort of on a budget, and i want to avoid to buy a silly memory setup.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RolloZ170

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
96_Cores_192_Logical.JPG
:oops: I still see 96 cores, and 192 logical processors.
So that made me think he could be on a dual socket board.
In the picture before that he has 48 cores and 96 logical processors.
But ok it does not matter.

this is not same than 8 RDIMM
[/QUOTE]
But does one get approximatly 50% performance difference with 4 RDIMMS compared to 8 RDIMMS or is it not so easy to say or estimate?

Civiloid

Jan 15, 2024
Am I just unlucky, or SPR-WS-112 ES and QS rare and way more expensive? (I have a hobby project for which I'll need 6 working x16 slots and Intel CPU and it seems that I'm kinda stuck with SPR-WS-112 as the only option, but given listings I've seen so far it makes little sense to go for QS and I haven't seen any ES of SPR-WS, at all)

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Am I just unlucky, or SPR-WS-112 ES and QS rare and way more expensive?
correct, no SPR-WS 112L ES supported by actual motherboards. QS way to expensive.
i have QXS0 C1 and QXMV, SPR-WS 64L

QXHU is 112L doesn't work anywhere

Last edited:
Reactions: mtg and Civiloid

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
... I have a hobby project for which I'll need 6 working x16 slots and Intel CPU and it seems that I'm kinda ...
Since your preference is W CPU + W790 (consequently single-socket only) - those depending on model do support up to 112 PCIe lanes (7 slots of x16) leaving you with very limited number of MB options (e.g. Asus Pro WS W790E-SAGE). I haven't seen Tyan/Supermicro/Gigabyte in W790 customer-ATX form factor MBs having that many PCIe slots (all alternatives are in C741 chipset space but with dual-socket non-W cpus it's gets even easier, although mostly by sacrificing ATX formfactor in some instances).
Getting locally large-enough suitable case from LianLi(V3000)/Phanteks(Enthoo Primo)/ThermalTake(Core x71) might be another hurdle.
But as was mentioned multiple times: building serious system around ES (leaving aside question on QS) is a gamble with mostly disappointing outcomes.

mtg

Feb 12, 2019
QXHU is 112L doesn't work anywhere
Has anyone tried asking super micro for ES bioses? I am guessing they would never? I have a QXHU that I was vainly hoping would function :(

Civiloid

Jan 15, 2024
those depending on model do support up to 112 PCIe lanes
Yeah, I already got ASUS W790 Sage, and in a process of getting W5-34xx CPU. Just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing something (e.x. maybe it is more seasonal with them and if I'll wait a month there will be more QSes available or something like that).

Getting locally large-enough suitable case from LianLi(V3000)/Phanteks(Enthoo Primo)/ThermalTake(Core x71) might be another hurdle.
I was thinking about Fractal Define 7 XL or Fractal Torrent, as they have official support for EEB sized motherboards and not as huge/expensive as V3000.

is a gamble with mostly disappointing outcomes.
That what gets me a bit surprised - that so far nobody tried to create a spreadsheet with all the knowledge around at least modern ESs...

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
That what gets me a bit surprised - that so far nobody tried to create a spreadsheet with all the knowledge around at least modern ESs...
Simple, QYxx boots on Gigabyte, Q0xx boots on everything, QXxx and older boot on nothing. QYxx additionally boots on Asus W790 due to a lucky fluke.