(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

heromode

May 25, 2020
iirc Gemini Lake chipset has 6 pcie lanes, and some of the the 4 pcie lanes are multiplexed with SATA and USB, so make sure you're not using your internal M.2 SATA or any USB while doing the benchmarks as well. PCIE gen2 is probably for reducing power consumption.

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/336560?fileName=336560-glk-datasheet-volume1_rev005.pdf

3.9 PCI Express, page 96

edit:

"PCIe* Lanes 3, 4, and 5 are multiplexed with USB3 Ports 4, 3, and 2, respectively. Refer to Figure 3-19 for more information."

edit2: maybe boot from M.2 SATA, and disable all USB ports in bios.. I wonder if i should do that as well on my Wyse running OPNsense..

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
iirc Gemini Lake chipset has 6 pcie lanes, and some of the the 4 pcie lanes are multiplexed with SATA and USB, so ...
I know you mean well, but ...
When you first posted that, ~pg10-15, I made a mental note to follow up with a correction; then, the second time, ~pg15-20, I scolded/reminded myself [and, again, did nothing]. But, this time, you came for me ([Link]).

I believe your error is rooted in an incorrect interpretation of the word multiplex. (Though you've used a correct traditional/technical meaning of the word, you did it out of context for, and with only a superficial understanding of, Intel chipsets. And, let me be clear--my understanding of them is, also, only superficial; but less superficial than yours.) And things just compound/cascade from there.

All of that "multiplexing", or sharing, is "on paper", at the board/system design level. Once our 5070 has booted, the controllers and lane(s) are all dedicated/autonomous.

Reactions: Samir and heromode

heromode

May 25, 2020
appreciated, i don't have deep HW knowledge, that's just how i understood that PDF, that there is a limited amount of pcie lanes in Gemini Lake, and they need to be shared between devices. If that's not the case, it's good info.

Gemini_Lake_pcie.png

That sure looks 'shared' to me, but i can't decode it myself

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
You can probably gain some insight, and clarity, on this matter by (carefully) examining the datasheet for one of the discrete PCH chipsets. I suggest choosing one that YOU have running (on a mobo), or at least one that you have a particular interest in. That way, it will serve two purposes--(theoretical) clarification here, and also (practical/)useful info. The datasheets for the PCHs (vs, e.g., this SoC) are less terse on this subject; they also use the term multiplex but "flesh it out" with other terms, like soft-strap. (See the HSIO section, there.)

heromode

May 25, 2020
I apologize for spreading false information on this, i really didn't know better.. If you and other knowledgeable people here say that the 4 AIC pcie lanes on the Wyse 5070 are not shared by anything else, i believe that. Also sets my mind at ease as i've been thinking i should disable all USB ports on my Wyse..

RetroRunner

Feb 2, 2023
Running Proxmox on 3 of these at home and after upgrading to 8.0 I've been having issues with them losing ethernet connectivity. Turns out the default r8169 driver doesn't like to play nice with the power-saving features, downgrading to r8168-dkms resolved everything.

kwijibo

Aug 19, 2023
I believe the Extended model comes with a 135W power adapter. Can anyone with an Extended model report what the power input requirements are listed as on the label? Can it operate with a lower amperage supply?

In particular, I'm curious if the non extended (65W?) supply will suffice, with a quad NIC PCIe.

Thanks.

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
I believe the Extended model comes with a 135W power adapter. Can anyone with an Extended model report what the power input requirements are listed as on the label? Can it operate with a lower amperage supply?

In particular, I'm curious if the non extended (65W?) supply will suffice, with a quad NIC PCIe.
Factory shipped part numbers - at least some - with specs (PA numbers are laptop equvalents):

130W (PA-13: 19.5V @ 6.70A) - 063P9N (with Extended)
90W (PA-10: 19.5V @ 4.62A) - 06KXKH (optional)
65W (PA-12: 19.5V @ 3.34A) - 06TM1C (with Slim)

Can't answer your other questions - re: under powering.

Reactions: e97 and Samir

bigtroutpa

Feb 10, 2023

Thanks.
You need to get the 135w power supply, if bios detects the 65 watt PS is will throttle back CPU performance. I have both an extended and a regular 5070 and tried to use my 65 watt on the extemded and noticed this.
With thw 135 watt power supply on an extended with a 4 port intel nerwork card, I only draw 12 watts running it as my opnsense router.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
You need to get the 135w power supply, if bios detects the 65 watt PS is will throttle back CPU performance. I have both an extended and a regular 5070 and tried to use my 65 watt on the extemded and noticed this.
With thw 135 watt power supply on an extended with a 4 port intel nerwork card, I only draw 12 watts running it as my opnsense router.
Yea, i read this somewhere before. My 5070 Extended was new open box so it came with the 135w PSU.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
For the 65w power supplies, modern 65w dell laptop compatible ones (including dell and non dell but compatible) are better than the old (>8 years) dell 65w ones. But wyse 5070 extended's 135w stock psu is prefered, even if the user is using lower power drawing intel i340-t4, not i350-t4 or i350-am4.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Running Proxmox on 3 of these at home and after upgrading to 8.0 I've been having issues with them losing ethernet connectivity. Turns out the default r8169 driver doesn't like to play nice with the power-saving features, downgrading to r8168-dkms resolved everything.
I am having this issue as well. And this link helped a newbie like me , at least resolve proxmox losing network connection after a few hours

However, I am still having issues with loss of connectivity with proxmox 8.0 with a ubuntu VM for frigate NVR. Not sure if its because of the coral TPU in the wifi a/e slot. During my trials, NOT running this VM did not cause connectivity issues. I migrated the entire VM and move the coral TPU to an old gigabyte Q87 motherboard , installed proxmox 8 and it runs fine with not connectivity issues.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
What are people using to access bios when running headless? Getting tired of hooking up keyboard and monitor. PiKVM? Is that the cheapest/easiest option?
I use one of those small wireless Logitech keyboards with the builtin track pad. It ain't perfect but it's better than a full sized keyboard and separate mouse.

Reactions: mattalat and Samir

labxplore

Sep 12, 2022
What are people using to access bios when running headless? Getting tired of hooking up keyboard and monitor. PiKVM? Is that the cheapest/easiest option?
I have a small (no numpad) mechanical wired keyboard and a 7" touch screen (supposed to be a Raspberry Pi) that is easily attached when needed for BIOS access (very infrequent...)

Reactions: mattalat and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I don't use any of my TCs headless because I'm *gasp* using them as thin clients. :D

But if I was using any of my TCs headless and needed bios access, I would either use a traditional KVM if it's physically close or some sort of IPKVM solution if it's remote and it's worth it to do that since true IPKVMs (the ones with an embedded vnc server for access) are not cheap anymore.

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
I have a small (no numpad) mechanical wired keyboard and a 7" touch screen (supposed to be a Raspberry Pi) that is easily attached when needed for BIOS access (very infrequent...)
Does the touch screen negate the need for a mouse in this scenario? Seems like this might be the cheapest/easiest option

Stonent

Dec 16, 2016
TX
That link just goes to a Wyse 5070 mounting kit, not an actual Wyse device. You may want to update the description at the top.