(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Anyone know what the proper AC adapter is for the 5070 extended? I got a few of these for free that were being thrown out but have no drive or adapter. Specs on Dell list a 130W for the extended (but I have to assume a 90W should be more than enough too) but don't list any sort of details or part number.
Two factory numbers - 06tm1c -> 65W, 06kxkh -> 95W - there may be more. I don't have an official 130W part number.

Reactions: Samir

PaintChips

Sep 10, 2020
For laughs I tested 2x32GB dual rank memory kit from Crucial, works on the Wyse 5070 but from a real world usage you'd run out of CPU cycles before memory. If you plan to run three monitors on a Wyse 5070 such as data analytics or stock trading terminal, 2x16GB will let you handle a 2K monitor and 2x1080p monitors which adds up to roughly 1GB of hardware reserved memory for the IGP.

Did you use to quicksync to transcode?
Haven't done QuickSync on this thin client since I use it for work, however I've used QS with other Celerons(J4105 and N5095) for TV tuner DVR usage(even formerly used an i3 8145U laptop). Intel HD 605 will produce a much crisper result compared to previous gen QuickSync but the fanless factor of the non-extended model is still going to put you into a thermal throttle.

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
For laughs I tested 2x32GB dual rank memory kit from Crucial, works on the Wyse 5070 but from a real world usage you'd run out of CPU cycles before memory. If you plan to run three monitors on a Wyse 5070 such as data analytics or stock trading terminal, 2x16GB will let you handle a 2K monitor and 2x1080p monitors which adds up to roughly 1GB of hardware reserved memory for the IGP.

Haven't done QuickSync on this thin client since I use it for work, however I've used QS with other Celerons(J4105 and N5095) for TV tuner DVR usage(even formerly used an i3 8145U laptop). Intel HD 605 will produce a much crisper result compared to previous gen QuickSync but the fanless factor of the non-extended model is still going to put you into a thermal throttle.
I'm using the non-extended model as a plex server and the little J5005 handles quicksync transcoding remarkably well. Can easily do several simulatneous 4k to 1080p transcodes. Unfortunately there's currently a bug in Plex that causes it to be unable to use the iGPU in J4105 and J5005 to transcode HDR content, but the devs are aware of the bug and will have a fix out eventually.

Reactions: Samir and Filez

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
I'm using the non-extended model as a plex server and the little J5005 handles quicksync transcoding remarkably well. Can easily do several simulatneous 4k to 1080p transcodes. Unfortunately there's currently a bug in Plex that causes it to be unable to use the iGPU in J4105 and J5005 to transcode HDR content, but the devs are aware of the bug and will have a fix out eventually.
Which OS? I tried with GUI Linux OS (Ubuntu Desktop, Mint, Pop, maybe others) for Plex playback from my NAS and I could not get 4k playback on these. If this can transcode as a server, however, then this is a steal.

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
Which OS? I tried with GUI Linux OS (Ubuntu Desktop, Mint, Pop, maybe others) for Plex playback from my NAS and I could not get 4k playback on these. If this can transcode as a server, however, then this is a steal.
I’m running Unraid on it and using the linuxserver docker image of plex media server. When you say 4K playback, did you mean using the 5070 as a playback device or using it as a host for plex media server? For 4K I use it as a server and play back on my Apple TV which uses direct play, no transcoding required.

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
As direct playback device: NAS->5070->Monitor. It wouldn't play 4k.

I'm confused, if Apple TV uses direct play, where did the transcoding come into play? If the 5070 can transcode, huge win.

Also lol for using a 5070 thin client with Unraid.

I’m running Unraid on it and using the linuxserver docker image of plex media server. When you say 4K playback, did you mean using the 5070 as a playback device or using it as a host for plex media server? For 4K I use it as a server and play back on my Apple TV which uses direct play, no transcoding required.

mattalat

Dec 28, 2022
As direct playback device: NAS->5070->Monitor. It wouldn't play 4k.

I'm confused, if Apple TV uses direct play, where did the transcoding come into play? If the 5070 can transcode, huge win.

Also lol for using a 5070 thin client with Unraid.
Yeah no transcoding for the Apple TV, but I’ve done tests with my phone and laptop simultaneously to confirm hardware transcoding works. I was trying to figure out if you were having trouble with 4K using the 5070 as a server or as a client. I haven’t tried as a client, but yeah it works great as a server.
Definitely not the typical unraid build but it works great and sips power.

marcinsu

Apr 22, 2023
Hi
Can you please advice what will be better?
  • Corsair CMSX32GX4M2A2400C16 Vengeance 32GB kit (2x16GB)
  • Crucial CT2K16G4SFD824A 32GB kit (2x16GB)

I need a RAM kit like this for Home Assistant (installed), Frigate (installed, currently I'm using with Coral USB) and NAS drive (not installed, maybe I'll choose TrueNAS or something lighter).

PaintChips

Sep 10, 2020
In my experience with Dell hardware is they always use Crucial, Samsung or SK Hynix memory mainly due to the strict spec standards, also the prices have leveled off between $50-59 for 32GB memory kits--Samsung or SK Hynix OEM kits on Amazon are a good value. Corsair Vengeance series is marketed towards ITX gaming builds, hard to justify the price premium and the potential of a revision of their memory is problematic. I have an older set of Corsair Vengeance that won't work on anything with a Celeron J4105 or N5095 but will work with an i3.

Reactions: Samir and marcinsu

chickey

Apr 27, 2023
Does anyone have a 5070 extended that may be able to provide some closeup shots of the motherboard. I have a couple of 5070 standard models and i've soldered on a pcie slot to one but need to know what other components are required to get the pcie slot working if possible.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Does anyone have a 5070 extended that may be able to provide some closeup shots of the motherboard. I have a couple of 5070 standard models and i've soldered on a pcie slot to one but need to know what other components are required to get the pcie slot working if possible.
The best pictures I can find is in the same thread we are posting on, page 4:

Last edited:

M_server

Nov 10, 2019
One of the boxes I got appears to have a corrupt bios and I can't figure out a good way past it, any ideas? It was free so not the end of the world, but I feel like this should be fixable.

Basically, it boots into the recovery prompt only, put in Fireport pw, and it gives options of recovery, rollback, and reset. All of which fail, rollback is not allowed because the version is too old. I tried to put the latest bios on a flash drive but it doesn't seem to get to the point where I can use it. I was able to upgrade my other non messed up one to 1.22.0 without issue.

I've tried: removing CMOS battery, using service jumper. Read through here too BIOS and firmware description of the Wyse 5070 Thin Client (N11D)

Unrelated note but, 5070 extended CPU is throttled when using under 130W chargers.

Attachments

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
One of the boxes I got appears to have a corrupt bios and I can't figure out a good way past it, any ideas? It was free so not the end of the world, but I feel like this should be fixable.
It sounds like it's looking for a BIOS to recover from the ESP partition of the disk/EMCC. I'd try formatting a USB stick and creating a recovery bios. The ESP partition looks like this (edited):

./EFI
./EFI/BOOT
./EFI/BOOT/...
./EFI/fedora
./EFI/fedora/...
./EFI/Dell
./EFI/Dell/Bios
./EFI/Dell/Bios/Recovery
./EFI/Dell/Bios/Recovery/BIOS_PRE.rcv
./EFI/Dell/Bios/Recovery/BIOS_CUR.RCV

Fixing the problem might be as easy as what is described here:

Click: How do I create an external USB drive to perform BIOS Recovery on my Dell computer or tablet?

Simplest:

- format disk FAT32
- download latest bios (.exe)
- copy to USB and rename as BIOS_IMG.rcv

Try booting as you did.

Alternately, try various forms of deception. Including creating a fuller layout, with ESP, or perhaps swapping disks with your working drive. Let us know what works.

ru me

Jun 2, 2018

Basically, it boots into the recovery prompt only, put in Fireport pw, and it gives options of recovery, rollback, and reset. All of which fail, rollback is not allowed because the version is too old. I tried to put the latest bios on a flash drive but it doesn't seem to get to the point where I can use it. I was able to upgrade my other non messed up one to 1.22.0 without issue.

I've tried: removing CMOS battery, using service jumper. Read through here too BIOS and firmware description of the Wyse 5070 Thin Client (N11D)

Unrelated note but, 5070 extended CPU is throttled when using under 130W chargers.
I had some trouble with a corrupted/ messed up EMCC. In my case, I was able to install Windows using my other box and then swap in the drive. It preferentially boots from this drive now. I have had no need to touch the EMCC, not sure whether I should just erase it now.

M_server

Nov 10, 2019
I got it working.

None of the things listed above worked (though thanks everyone for the suggestions!)

I looked through GitHub - KCORES/KCORES-5070: Hacking DELL Wyse 5070 and noticed that they had a modified bios image and decided to yolo flash it (Don't do this).

Note that the bios chips on these are 1.8V, and my CH341A needed a part to modify the voltage for flashing.

I flashed it, pressed power and... cpu fan spun but nothing else responded.

Decided to flash back the copy I took of the original bios to see if it was bricked and it surprisingly booted to bios, after which I updated to 1.22.0 and as far as I can tell it works fine. Not sure how this made a difference but it now works.

I did run the hardware diagnostic and it there are intermittent emmc failures, plan to just not use that and use m.2 instead.

In case anyone runs into a locked bios in the future, I suspect that you could flash a clean bios by cleaning the TXE region, but I am glad I don't have to mess with that. You would likely need to take your stock image, and patch over that region.

Some helpful reading

Reactions: Samir and Fritz