U.2 to quad M.2 carrier (2.5 inch form factor)?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Just did some power measurements. It uses about 7-8 watts alone at the wall.
I'm going to try to build the user tools to see if I can get some temperature information. But it does get a bit hot to the touch.
Not just a bit hot, but after an extended benchmarking session with 4 Optane drives, it was uncomfortably hot. They need airflow.
Thats not TOO bad for a pcie switch I think? Also yeah, I would imagine that the switch + 4 drives would need active cooling in that density for sure

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Did a few updates to the post.

I was running into some strange issues with the benchmark numbers where they were inconsistent and out of line with what I was expecting.

Turns out that sometimes, one or more of the threads during the tests would run on the CPU that did not have a direct connection to the PCIe lanes of the carrier. The second issue was heat. The drives would begin to throttle causing lower than expected numbers.
Had to remove the second CPU and increase airflow in the drive area.

I'm almost done with my post. I'm going to attempt to build the user-cli tools since I can't seem to find a compiled version anywhere.
Finished building the tools. No issues building and making the installer for windows. Running a list command shows the switch, but I can't run anything else.
Code:
C:\Users\Administrator>switchtec list
switchtec0              PFX 24XG3       RevB    1.09 B063       18:00.1
Anything else gives me:
Code:
C:\Users\Administrator>switchtec info switchtec0
switchtec0: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
I'll try in linux later...

I hope I'm not annoying anyone with the constant editing...
Thanks for doing these tests and sharing!

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
I am glad to share. My only regret is not buying two more while I had the chance. There were plenty sitting on eBay for a while, and now they're all gone.
Edit: And miraculously, just like that, the two more I needed popped up, LOL! Snagged them.

Last edited:
Reactions: nexox

ribroc

ebay hardware hobbyist
Feb 16, 2022
I picked up a few of these and have been unable to get them to work at all when connected via any m.2->u.2 converter I've tried. They aren't even listed within the pci output so I am wondering if this behavior has any resolution suggestions from anyone here. I was unable to find any uart or usb connection, so I am unclear how to flash or modify these if a pci connection isn't even shown.

One thing I did notice with these is that they are hot to a concerning degree even at idle. The hottest I've ever seen out of any u.2 form factor device. I attempted to mount up some of those m.2 heatsinks to my drives to mitigate it. This is obviously not an intended answer, but I would have liked to know this in advance before purchase so I'm noting it here for others. The spacing between the drives doesn't really allow this to work If you want to populate all three of the slots on top with any form of individual heatsink. The bottom slot also barely has enough room for the m.2 drive itself.

I mounted these within a standard HDD drive cage using 2.5->3.5 adapters, and the fan in the cage was really helpful at controlling temps. Originally I was going to try mounting 2-4 of these to a u.2->pcie card, but I do think the heat would kill the drives.

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
I picked up a few of these and have been unable to get them to work at all when connected via any m.2->u.2 converter I've tried. They aren't even listed within the pci output so I am wondering if this behavior has any resolution suggestions from anyone here. I was unable to find any uart or usb connection, so I am unclear how to flash or modify these if a pci connection isn't even shown.

One thing I did notice with these is that they are hot to a concerning degree even at idle. The hottest I've ever seen out of any u.2 form factor device. I attempted to mount up some of those m.2 heatsinks to my drives to mitigate it. This is obviously not an intended answer, but I would have liked to know this in advance before purchase so I'm noting it here for others. The spacing between the drives doesn't really allow this to work If you want to populate all three of the slots on top with any form of individual heatsink. The bottom slot also barely has enough room for the m.2 drive itself.

I mounted these within a standard HDD drive cage using 2.5->3.5 adapters, and the fan in the cage was really helpful at controlling temps. Originally I was going to try mounting 2-4 of these to a u.2->pcie card, but I do think the heat would kill the drives.
Pretty sure these are to be mounted in rack servers i.e actually airflow

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
any m.2->u.2 converter I've tried. They aren't even listed within the pci output so I am wondering if this behavior has any resolution suggestions from anyone here.
They're just there to give you a physical connection not actually be visible.

2-4 of these to a u.2->pcie card, but I do think the heat would kill the drives.
Likely with bad airflow and depends on the drive itself. Some run hotter than others. Kioxia runs cool while micron's run hot. Research your brand!

ribroc

ebay hardware hobbyist
Feb 16, 2022
They're just there to give you a physical connection not actually be visible.
Forgive my ignorance here, but if I have a physical connection which itself is not visible, or visibly passing through any of the devices that are attached to it, how am I to make use of the device? Is there a driver somewhere I should have sourced?

nexox

May 3, 2023
These things contain a PCIe switch, which should be visible on the bus even with no downstream devices connected (though if you're not using Linux I don't know what that looks like.)

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
I'm running it and the M2 just passed the signal to the drive and it's transparent to the OS and doesn't have electronics on the adapter, just the lanes for the socket to pass the info. I'll concede that there are about 10 different adapter types out there and maybe the one he got has more smarts but, in the $20 range I doubt it.

nexox

May 3, 2023
I'm running it and the M2 just passed the signal to the drive and it's transparent to the OS and doesn't have electronics on the adapter, just the lanes for the socket to pass the info. I'll concede that there are about 10 different adapter types out there and maybe the one he got has more smarts but, in the $20 range I doubt it.
This thread is about a specific adapter which definitely has a switch on it.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
This thread is about a specific adapter which definitely has a switch on it.
And this is all from 2019 and the adapter isn't even listed any longer on the OEM page? I should have looked before interjecting.

nexox

May 3, 2023
There's a good summary with photos in this thread from 6 weeks ago, neat little units that I consider buying whenever I see them on ebay, I just don't know what I'd do with any (mostly because I already have more SSDs than I know what to do with.)

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
@nexox

Interesting but, not the most efficient option considering how much things have advanced since its release. I suppose if you have a MCIO port to plug into and no available slots for anything else it might be relevant. If you wanted to drop in a quad or more M2 carrier then High Point would be a better option for cooling them while in use. They also offer more drives per card

I was looking into this sort of thing when I was stuck on Intel but, AMD offers dumb card options for much less since you can bifurcate in the UEFI instead of relying on the HW cards to do it. Even so though you have to pay attention to which slot/socket you use since anything off the chipset side is x4 total. Intel at least through the modern DMI offers x8 which opens things up a bit more for bandwidth beyond the CPU sockets/slots.

AMD though would be a cheaper migration path when compared to the costs for most of these cards though. It's a chicken/egg situation depending on budget and goals. Sometimes it's best to throw in the towel and migrate from one platform to the other. I avoided the switch as long as AMD was two steps behind in terms of other underlying tech but, switching up my storage game from consumer gear to enterprise made it apparent to ditch Intel finally and go back to my roots of AMD. The other option would be completely jump ship and spend up to the enterprise level but, that's a 3X jump just for the CPU/MOBO and I'm not that serious about it at this point. I threw together a ground up AMD build minus the U drive for ~$800 where looking at tantalizing gear starts out at closer to $3K and wouldn't even include the case or much more.