Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

andrea87

Oct 15, 2022
North-east Italy
Mine is currently running with PL1 15w and PL2 22.5W. I've set the minimum cpu frequency (there's an override on the multiplier in the bios) to 400MHz. With the kind of loads I get (10 ish % idle) the usual base frequency hovers around 800-1200MHz.

Read pages 80-85 of this thread, there's a lot of useful data and experimentation by several users.

Ram wise, I'm running 24 Gb as a 8+16. I don't feel the need (yet) to go 32gb, most of my daily loads are pretty well covered with this kind of memory.

Main OS is Proxmox, these are the vms/containers and their settings:
VM OPNsense: 4Gb allowed, actual use 2.5-2.7gb. Simple-ish setup, a few vlans, inbound VPN for easier access from outside.
VM Home Assistant + OS 8Gb allowed, actual use 5-6gb (hosts also InfluxDB and Grafana)
VM Ubuntu Server 8Gb allowed, 7gb in use. Hosts my wifi controller (TP-Link Omada), Docker + Portainer and a few containers with lightweight stuff)
CT Pihole - 256Mb assigned ~45mb actual use

With all of this running, I still have about 5gb free ram on the machine (18.5gb used)

Reactions: T.Sharp

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Release Notes in this file (translation by deepl)

Version: FMI04 N5105
Date: 2023-04-18
Supported motherboards: N5105 V3 V4 V5

Updated the microcode issued by Intel on Feb 14, 2023.
Fixed Gen 11 virtualization crash issue

Reactions: roarking

user-23

Oct 15, 2022
Is that the one reported for OPNsense/pfsense VMs?
Patched by microcode 24?
yes, I think so. According to this Intel Github repo, the microcode version from 2023-02-14 changed the microcode of jasper lake processors from 24000023 to 24000024:

Arcao

Mar 29, 2023
I configured pfSense to update microcode to 24 during startup. I installed latest devcpu-data-intel package from FreeBSD:
Bash:
fetch https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:14:amd64/latest/All/devcpu-data-intel-20230214.pkg
pkg install devcpu-data-intel-20230214.pkg
And updated my /boot/loader.conf.local with this config:
Code:
cpu_microcode_load="YES"
cpu_microcode_name="/boot/firmware/intel-ucode.bin"
After reboot, microcode 24 is installed:
Code:
# dmesg | grep microcode
CPU microcode: updated from 0x1d to 0x24000024
Credit: Update Intel Microcode on FreeBSD - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki

Last edited:
Reactions: Go0oSeR

Arcao

Mar 29, 2023
Hi guys,

Yesterday I received N5105 i226 box with fan (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005101103120.html).

I use Gigabyte 256GB NVME SSD, and two Crucial SO-DIMM 4GB DDR4 2666MHz CL19.

I will use it as pfSense baremetal router. I am disappointed about the fan. Even though BIOS allows fan speed configuration with off state, it seems it doesn't work. So finally I disconnected fan from board. After tuning, here is my power consumption (with one ethernet cable connected and disconnected fan):

Idle: 4-5W, 24 deg C
Stress(30 minutes): 17W, 54 deg C

Attachments

Reactions: Stovar

Foxtrot

Apr 4, 2023
Nice, I have the version without fan.
4-5W sounds great, could you share your settings?
Have to check if I received a similar power supply.

I got only down to 7-8W.
Running Proxmox.

Last edited:

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
I am disappointed about the fan.
Had a similar issue with a fan not being steered. Solution was to bus an arduino nano 5V version, a 5V fan (Noctua) , a 10k temp. resistor and then just write a simple script which reads the temperature and adjusts the fan speed based on the findings.

It runs in my main PC since I installed it 2 years ago and steers a fan to cool down a hard drive stack

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
Nice, I have the version without fan.
4-5W sounds great, could you share your settings?
Have to check if I received a similar power supply.

I got only down to 7-8W.
Running Proxmox.

I think he already mentioned and linked my old thread with the bios tweaks, either way 4-5 watts is very impressive I think that might be the lowest wattage number any N5105 owner has ever got around here but could be wrong its been a long 136+ pages!

But then he only has one network cable attached so that is a factor, if I recall right when I pulled out my 6x ethernet cables they were roughly taking up 1 watt if not a bit more each, so its possible to get it lower with just 1 Ethernet device, I think I hit around 6-7watts with nothing attached but with the normal 5 ethernet cables connected its 8.5-9watts idle.

mcsv

Apr 22, 2023
Stock thermal interface at 5105 v3 (or v4) are bad even if there's no visual problem (gap) and temps do not feel terrible at first at non-high load.

In my case I got okay-ish 50c at Proxmox under near idle loads with 5-6 VMs and case t +15-20 to env, but after 6 months run a cpuz stress bench, which resulted quickly 85+ and throttle (pl2=22w)

So, messing with cooling here worth it at least just to look at what a composition:
1 [case top] + thermal paste or glue + [copper brick with 2 screws]
2 middle thermal layer + [unexpected floating copper plate]
3 one more huge stockpile of thermal paste + [finally tiny cpu at pcb]

Huge amounts of paste everywhere is to fight with a gap in such crooked solution and I'm also re-applied way more than probably is necessary there of really old 10y+ mx2.
What, probably, can give a clue about "enough amount of thermal paste" - there's a clear strips around cpu - in my case those were covered in 1mm or so of thermals, but it looks like they should align and keep middle copper plate as close to cpu as possible.

So, I got now at 5th hour of same cpuz bench stable 75c, very hot case 60+, and, probably, almost no difference under usual low loads, still worth at least checking and fixing if u got tools already available.

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
Stock thermal interface at 5105 v3 (or v4) are bad even if there's no visual problem (gap) and temps do not feel terrible at first at non-high load.

In my case I got okay-ish 50c at Proxmox under near idle loads with 5-6 VMs and case t +15-20 to env, but after 6 months run a cpuz stress bench, which resulted quickly 85+ and throttle (pl2=22w)

So, messing with cooling here worth it at least just to look at what a composition:
1 [case top] + thermal paste or glue + [copper brick with 2 screws]
2 middle thermal layer + [unexpected floating copper plate]
3 one more huge stockpile of thermal paste + [finally tiny cpu at pcb]

Huge amounts of paste everywhere is to fight with a gap in such crooked solution and I'm also re-applied way more than probably is necessary there of really old 10y+ mx2.
What, probably, can give a clue about "enough amount of thermal paste" - there's a clear strips around cpu - in my case those were covered in 1mm or so of thermals, but it looks like they should align and keep middle copper plate as close to cpu as possible.

So, I got now at 5th hour of same cpuz bench stable 75c, very hot case 60+, and, probably, almost no difference under usual low loads, still worth at least checking and fixing if u got tools already available.
This is a post I made when I got the HUSN version with the N6005 to fix the thermals. Difference in what you have is that I removed the copper block. removed the paint and reassembled as per my post:

BobS

Reactions: Stovar

andrea87

Oct 15, 2022
North-east Italy
So, my unit suddently died tonight after six months of light use. I've tried resetting the cmos, running it with only one stick of ram, nothing. The pc doesn't boot and none of the two lights do light up. Any suggestion? I'm running a pentium 7505 topton box.

I've tested, and there's +12V on the input, the fuse is fine and I don't see any skid marks. Trying to reset cmos does nothing.

T.Sharp

Oct 22, 2022
So, my unit suddently died tonight after six months of light use. I've tried resetting the cmos, running it with only one stick of ram, nothing. The pc doesn't boot and none of the two lights do light up. Any suggestion? I'm running a pentium 7505 topton box.

I've tested, and there's +12V on the input, the fuse is fine and I don't see any skid marks. Trying to reset cmos does nothing.
Do you have a power meter to see if it's drawing anything?
Any parts of the board getting warm when it's plugged in?

andrea87

Oct 15, 2022
North-east Italy
Just tested. The machine pulls about 4-5W at idle for about a minute, there's a significant hotspot (up to 50ish °C) near the VRM area. Looks like an hardware fault somewhere, it might be the +5V SB regulator with a short / dead IC on the supply line somewhere. I'll try messaging TopTon to see if they help in any way.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022

Just tested. The machine pulls about 4-5W at idle for about a minute, there's a significant hotspot (up to 50ish °C) near the VRM area. Looks like an hardware fault somewhere, it might be the +5V SB regulator with a short / dead IC on the supply line somewhere. I'll try messaging TopTon to see if they help in any way.
Darn just sounds unlucky, maybe the mainboard went bad. Any word on Toptons support?

I may go with Topton next but theres always a concern on how good the support really is with any of these Asian brands, if memory recalls right early on this mega thread some had dead units and got no reply back even.

miro123

Apr 25, 2023
Should I adjust for zero air gap or put a little bit PCB pressure /like all PC cpu coolers/?

There is fundamental mechanical problem with all boxes - outside case shell is actually is in direct contact with CPU - add to this tiny aluminium sheet used for casing, and I'm wondering that all goes ok for such long time.

Reactions: casulo

olavrb

Jul 1, 2022
Thanks @Stovar for #2489.

I found "acustic noise reduction" as "acoustic noise mitigation" here:
  • Advanced -> Power & performance -> CPU - Power Management Control -> CPU VR Settings -> Acoustic Noise Settings -> Acoustic Noise Mitigation
Edit: "Converted" those BIOS settings into tables with exact names taken from Changwang BIOS from 2023-04-18 (N5105 v3, 4L-V01)

Advanced → ACPI Settings
KeyValueDefault
Enable ACPI Auto ConfigurationAutoDisabled

Advanced → CPU Configuration
KeyValueDefault
PECIDisabledEnabled

Advanced → Power & performance → CPU - Power Management Control
KeyValueDefault
Boot performance modeTurbo PerformanceTurbo Performance
Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm)EnabledEnabled
Platform PL1 EnableEnabledEnabled
Platform PL1 Power1000050000
Platform PL2 EnableEnabledEnabled
Platform PL2 Power1200065000
C statesEnabledEnabled

Advanced → Power & performance → CPU - Power Management Control → CPU VR Settings → Acoustic Noise Settings → Acoustic Noise Mitigation
KeyValueDefault
Acoustic noise mitigationEnabledDisabled

Chipset → PCH-IO Configuration → PCI Express Configuration
KeyValueDefault
DMI Link ASPM ControlAutoAuto

Chipset → PCH-IO Configuration → PCI Express Configuration → PCI express root port <1-8>
KeyValueDefault
ASPMAutoDisabled

Last edited:
Reactions: mhagen and Stovar