HUNSN Model RJ03L w/N6005 V5 w/4 i226V NICs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
Got the HUNSN RJ03l with a N6005 CPU and barebones unit from the HUSN store on AliExpress. Took about 14 days to arrive in Central NY area. It was well packaged and totally sealed with tape so it would float while the lobster towed it along. Included was the AC adapter made by DAJING 12V 3A. It is not UL Listed. Draws 0.01a under no load.

I had several contacts now with both HUNSN sales and Tech Support and both were quick to respond and answered my questions - thumbs up for the quick responses. They included a brief spec statement for the motherboard but could not provide a spec sheet/manual or any website URL's. All tech support is via one email address <sales@hunsn.com> that then gets forwarded to a tech support rep. At this price point, don't expect much and you will not be disappointed.

"- This item supports memory: 2 x sodimm ddr4 2933 MHz, max.32gb
-- This item supports 2 x m.2 2280 nvme SSD (both are 3.0x1 speed) and 1 x 2.5 inch sata SSD/HDD
-- This item supports M.2 WiFi A.E Key (Support native WiFi6 network card), may you use any M.2 A.E Key WiFi module. (M.2 WiFi or 1 x PCB Board M.2 2280 nvme SSD, 2 choose 1).
-- Yes, please see the internal install photos and MB spec. (as attached).

-- This item, during posting, may you hit "Delete/ESC" to BIOS, hit "F11" to choose a device to boot up."

I've also included photo's they sent showing how to install a 40x10mm fan - and I'll explain why you may want to get theirs for free.

Should you be looking, there are two models. One with the N5105 and the second with the N6005 CPU. The difference between the RJ03L and RJ03M versions is that the L version includes the SATA cable assy and the daughter board you can see in the attached pdf doc and plugs into the second M.2 connector normally used for a WiFi chip. This daughter board is then used to allow connecting a second NVMe SSD. It works. I had both a Kingston (OEM) 500GB NVMe and a WD SN700 500GB installed for testing.

I installed 2 x 8GB sticks of Crucial SODIMM's CT2K8G4SFRA32A memory and kick started it with a fresh load of Win11 Pro for testing.

In the quote above I highlighted in red, the PCIe Gen 3 x 1 rating which equates to about 800MB/s Read/Write speeds on the installed NVMe SSD drives. The N6005 certainly is capable of Gen 3x4 PCIe lanes but I guess on this small of a form factor there are limitations. Is there really a use case for needing 3500MB/s speeds on this box? If I needed VM's and had a lot of sensor data being monitored by this mini, then maybe. But for me, this will be a homelab pfsense firewall with add-on's.

Thermals. As many have shown and talked about in the other forum (Jasper Lake....) this also had a slight gap between the CPU and copper heatsink. The aluminum block below the I226V NIC's had a really thin thermal strip attached which did not even touch the NIC chips.

I did run some CPU tests. Idle temps were around 44°C and I got it up to 91°C running Prime95. While Prime95 was running the CPU would easily reach 75°C plus after a long run (30 min) it would then spike upwards to 90°C + depending on what Prime95 was doing (100% CPU load). That was the worst case scenario and the case got really warm - about 51°C (125°F).

I decided to see if I could do something about the thermals. I've read where others have filed down the studs that the motherboard mounts to but I wanted to try something not so work intensive. Dissasembled the mini and removed the copper block heatsink. HUNSN did not just pile a gob of thermal paste on this - it was the correct amount, nice and neat too.

Cleaned the paste off, lapped the heatsink on both sides to polish it and removed the paint from the case where the heatsink mounts. I have some copper shim material (.005in or .127mm) and some artic silver that I used to paste the copper shim to the case and then to the copper heatsink. I know what you're thinking... case/paste/shim/paste/heatsink/paste/CPU. Worst case, I remove the shim and grab a file but the combination worked out nicely and the CPU ended up kissing the heatsink without a gap or stressing the motherboard as measured by a straightedge and one crooked eyeball. Took it back apart and applied the thermal paste to the CPU/GPU chips and reassembled.

Some stress testing ensued and the idle temps were now at 34°C and Prime95 stress tests took it up to 91°C. So the shim did help lower the N6500 CPU temp by around 10° (fanless). Could it be better? Maybe with a liquid metal based thermal paste - or a fan.

Edit: After running for several hours the idle temp is now at 40°C - so only a 4°C improvment. Room temp is the same 65°F. Opening a browser, playing videos, etc. the max temp jumps to 75°C at 90-100% load then settles down to around 47°C with a 35% to 50% load. The case itself right above the heatsink reads 43° (110°F) - so warm to the touch. Using Core Temp 1.18 to monitor internals and an infrared thermometer on case.

2nd Edit: Today I've had the unit running for about 4 hrs now and Core Temp is showing 34°C idle temps with 5% load (background tasks). So that would be a 10° improvement over stock configuration. What may be the reason behind the disparity in my temp readings between yesterday and today is that yesterday I was runing stress tests (Prime95, etc.) and the case as I noted, really warmed up. The case is a pretty good mass of aluminum so once I heated up, it takes awhile to get back to normal (34°C - 92°F). That reading on the case is directly over the heatsink area. Sides of case are 5° cooler. So the copper shim really is working out better than I thought.

I'm opting for a fan. I initially ordered a Noctua 40mm x 10mm 5V 4 pin PWM fan but quickly found out that none of the optional connectors that came with the fan would fit the fan connector on the motherboard. That connector is a pico connector and accepts a 1.25 pitch Dupont female 4 pin - which I don't have. Could have ordered a batch of these online and then cobbled something together and used the Noctua fan assy.

3rd Edit: Updated on 12/28/2022. A response posted by HUNSN on Amazon for this model stated the fan voltage would be 5v. An error which I found out about and sent my Noctua fan back. It is a pico 4 pin header (PWM at 12V) on the motherboard. I have received two fans and cable assemblies from HUNSN as shown in the photo's below and they are 12V fans with a special adapter cables to convert from pico to whatever the other end connector is called. The larger fan (80mm x 10mm) spins at around 2,200rpm full speed and the smaller 40mm x 10mm really gets wound up at full speed - 6,600rpm. The BIOS fan control profiles work nicely and you have an option for making your own profile. I ended up using the Auto setting as it appears to be an optimal profile. Under full load, you can hear the fans - especially the 40x10 model. I installed the 80x10 in the case with the fan sucking air inand blowing on the motherboard. I removed the glued on dust filter from the case bottom to improve air flow. Now you can continue reading....

HUNSN will ship the cable and fan assy to you with your order if you email and ask for the assembly. It's free if you order from the HUNSN store (directly or on AliExpress) or as in my case, it's costing me ($15USD) for shipping but the fan and cable are still free...;-) Oh well, cost wise it's the same as buying the Noctua fan plus I can use that cable on a different fan like the Noctua when their fan croaks.

BIOS/UEFI has AMI firmware version JK4LV105 dated 08/31/2022 with so many options it will make your head spin. As Patrick mentioned, it has Overclocking menu's but I haven't tried any changes there or on any other Power or C state related settings. The PL levels seem high compared to what I've read in other threads but I will take small steps and try to understand what the settings actually do. More on that later...

I think the HUSN RJ03L Mini with N6005 with 4, I226V NIC's at a cost of $245 (barebones) is worth it for a pfsense/opensense firewall. AliExpress is now showing it for $238 barebone N6005.

I have a Quotom Q190G4 4 port mini as well as two other recent Minisforums mini's (HX90 & HM50) and the build quality is on par with the Qotom box but below the Minisforums when it comes to thermal considerations. Motherboard build quailty is otherwise great.

In summary, you can pay a lot more and get less quality and features. But also consider the lack of online documentation, no web portal for BIOS/UEFI updates or tech support in your buying considerations. It is what it is and if it goes up in smoke before the warranty runs out - we'll test them and/or AliExpress on that.

Back to playing with my new toy...

BobS

Attachments

Last edited:

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
Today I received an email with photo showing the cables, fans and some extra NVMe mounting screws I requested. Since the back panel of this model has been revised, it allows for a larger fan and it appears to be a 80 x 10mm. They are sending both cables and fans for the price of shipping. Kind of a nice surprise.

I also made an edit in my first post about temps. The copper shim and ceramic paste (Artic Silver product) I used are working better than expected. I explained the disparity I was getting. All about thermal mass and heat transfer.... I'll leave it to the experts to explain it.

BobS

Attachments

sdjaime

Jan 26, 2023
Thanks for your write up!

I picked up this same box from AliExpress. Took your advice and asked for the fan and assembly after I ordered. They said its not something they do but were going to include it at no cost. But when I received the unit today, there were no included fans or cabling. Oh well.

After hours of troubleshooting why I couldn't seem to get an IP address on the box, it appears that the i226 LAN is incompatible with my TP-Link 16 port switch, and an old 8 port dumb switch I had lying around (at least that's my current conclusion, as I just couldn't get a DHCP reservation or even have a static IP assigned to the Hunsn when plugged into the 16 port switch, or even link lights on the 8 port). Plugging in directly to my computer or the cable modem did seem to work. Bummer that I have to replace some networking gear to use this. Google search came back without any mention of switch incompatibility.

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
You didn't state how you have this connected in your network or what software it is running. If it's pfSense, then only the beta version 2.7 supports the i226V NICs which I am testing with - not version 2.6. Opnsense supports i226V Nics and when I tested with that software, the NIC's worked fine.

So whatever software you're using (exception being pfSense ver 2.6) can be used by downloading and manually installing the i226V drivers. I've tested with Win10, Win11, pfSense ver 2.7 beta, opnsense - all successfully, and ProxMox (it worked) but the pfSense 2.6 VM didn't.

I've set up a test bench configurations that uses both a smart and a dumb switches for connecting the WAN port and connecting the LAN ports out to various PC's, tablets and not experienced any compatibility issues using TP Link TL-SG108E and Netgear 5 port switches.

It sounds like you have a driver problem rather than a switch problem.

BobS

sdjaime

Jan 26, 2023
Thanks, @BobS. Tried it initially with latest version of Proxmox, then with live versions of OPNsense and Ubuntu. I was about to give up until I acquire a new switch, but on a whim I tried manually configuring the switch ports connected to the box to gigabit instead of auto, and that actually got me going! Strange behavior for sure but glad I'm up and running with a reasonable workaround. The switch in question is a TP-Link TL-SG116E v1 with the latest firmware dated 2018.

Re: fan. Hunsn responded and said they pre-installed the fan, but they are mistaken. I'm hoping they are willing to ship it separately to me, even if I have to pay for shipping as this box can definitely get toasty under load.

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
I have a Minisforums HX90 mini that has a i226 NIC. I found my TP Link switch was constantly dropping back to 100MB speed. Updating the firmware on the switch and manually setting the port speed to 1000MB as you did, solved the problem for me.

As for the fans. The shipping cost was $15USD for both fans ( 40mm x 10mm and 80mm x 10mm ) and cables that have the 4 wire pico connectors that mate with the motherboard. I experimented with both fans and found the 80mm fan to be the better choice. You'll also want to remove all the filter material (glued on) to the base. Be gentle and it wll come off cleanly. I found that removing the dust filter material notably increased the airflow but I don't have an air flow meter to provide specifics. I just used the back of my hand to feel the airflow and a tissue held behind the fan to see it flutter. Wet the back of your hand and you'll get a better sense of the airflow.

BobS

lau

Feb 5, 2023
This is what happened to me: Well, I was so naive to believe that AliExpress give it you something for free. Yesterday was my first purchase on AliExpress and my order was cancelled (closed) due system reason. Did I mention that my order contained $3 first time purchase coupon from AliExpress. The order has been closed --- its ok, but now I can't use the promo coupon $3 because I'm not first-time purchaser considered by the system. So, you never get that $3 coupon because of the scheme ---they cancel your order then you're not first-time purchaser anymore. Nice try from AliExpress. I did try to get the system HUNSN RJ03l with a N6005 CPU and barebones unit from the HUSN store on AliExpress - w/o success.
Btw can be installed esxi on this mini pc? Thank you.

sdjaime

Jan 26, 2023
Quick update: Hunsn apologized and immediately provided a tracking number for the fan and cabling, and declined my offer to pay the shipping fee. That was nice of them. Once received, I'll follow your suggestion, BobS, and and use the 80mm fan with the filter removed. Noise is ok with BIOS defaults, right?

I like this box! Build quality seems solid. While I wait for my fan from China I placed a 120mm external USB fan on top of the unit (it has little rubber feet to give it some space) and I'm seeing pretty decent temps on the lowest speed without mucking with any of the thermal compound. Adding just a little active cooling really does seem to help the thermals.

Running OPNsense on Proxmox with network bridges and not really seeing any drawbacks compared to my old Qotom i7-4500U baremetal pfsense box (maybe slightly higher latency, but speeds are great). And plenty of extra power to throw some additional VMs or containers on there.

@lau while I personally haven't tried it, I don't see why you couldn't use ESXi on this unit. It has all the necessary capabilities for virtualization.

Reactions: lau

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
Well you certainly must know someone...;-) Free shipping ... and fans!

I did some experimenting with the fan profiles and found that the default profile worked spot on during my stress testing. The 80mm runs silent during normal operation. Run Prime95 if you want to get it cranking but even then it is not bad but I doubt you'll load it like Prime95 does. I have mine setup so it's sucking air into the base which got the best results. I also placed a fan on top during testing and that really works well but the fan inside keeps things cool enough. I was more concerned with the heat on the NVMe drive which when testing I had a 970 EVO Plus installed which runs hot. I now have a Kingston NVMe in there and that runs way cooler.

The HUNSN customer support (Mellissa) has been first class.

Reactions: lau and sdjaime

lau

Feb 5, 2023
@BobS Hi first thank you for explaining about the RJ03L this is very helpful, so you have both fans mounted and both can be connected to the motherboard, right?

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
No, I only have one internal fan running and it connects to the 4 pin Dupont Pico connector on the motherboard. That connector provides 12v and being 4 pin, provides for PWM speed control. I did testing with both internal and external fans, The external fan was connected to one of the external USB ports and that fan had a 3 position switch for selecting speed.

There are several other internal connectors, like the SATA (12v) connector and A USB (5v) header where you could use push on pin connectors and then route the wires to the out side of the case but why do that when you can buy an external USB powered fan?

Keep in mind that if you plan to use an internal fan, you cannot mount a 2.5" SSD inside the case. They do provide a punch-out on the case bottom so you can run the SATA cable to mount it outside the case and have an internal fan.

To summarize my fan and cooling testing:

1. A external mounted fan blowing air on the fin stack provided the best cooling for the CPU/GPU but did nothing to help cool my internal NVMe drive.
2. As you now know, the RJ03L model comes with a daughter board you can use to mount a second NVMe drive and still mount an internal fan. The internal fan did help with CPU/GPU cooling but if you are running this with a constant load, go with an external fan mounted to the heatsink case.
3. I'm still playing with this lab rat for now and the configuration may change and it's good to have options. Having the manf provide heat pipes or other means of cooling would be nice but at this price point I doubt they could afford to do that.

BobS

lau

Feb 5, 2023
Thank you @BobS . I got it how you have it . Seems pretty good idea usb external fan with switch control --- i like it . I'll planning to get one . One more thing ----- is any room to modify the geometry (enlarge threedimensional) of the copper alloy thermal heatsink that's mounted in contact with N6005 ?

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
My father was a tool and die maker, so yes to your question but do you have the tools and expertise to do it? I think if the gap between the CPU and the heat sink is minimized in ways already mentioned and a good quality thermal paste is used you'll get maximum transfer of heat to the case. A fan mounted to the case will do the rest. I'll note that if you want to mount the fan to the case, you can use v shaped screws that can slide into the case fins. I had to file off about .001" on the screw shank near the top of the screw so they would slide easily into the fin slots. But you can also just place the fan on top and it will work.

Before modifying or adding anything, have you measured the temps on your mini to see if it needs extra cooling measures? Mine will eventually be used as a pfsense firewall with 3 segments. My testing shows that an internal fan helps keep my NVMe temps down and does help the CPU a bit but the external fan does a better job on the CPU Temps. Using only pfsense or opnsense does not really stress this CPU and temps remain well within safe boundaries without any fans. I did add the copper shim as explained earlier and that helped bring temps down 10 degrees F.

I no longer have access to the machine shop otherwise I would be milling the case out to fit some heat pipes just for the fun of it. But in truth, that would be way overkill for this CPU.

BobS

lau

Feb 5, 2023
I ordered the unit . Took your advice and asked for the fan and assembly after I ordered. I'm waiting .
I'm planning to have esxi and/or proxmox --pfSense/opnsense , I'll torture it for a bit just for the fun of it---thank you for answer back . Yes as a backup I'll plan---- if the unit get too hot to improve the cooling . I have access to manufacturing .I can have also redone the whole copper heatsink would be Copper Alloy 110 very good for thermal transfer. Keep that in mind maybe the whole internal temp will be lower keeping also NVme temp down.Thinking as you explain if the Cu shim drops the temp 10 deg F I believe the whole solid copper ( extended ) will dropping even more.
I keep posted if I need to modify it.Thank you again .

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
If you do decide to make some heatsink modifications, please take some photo's of the process. That would be very interesting to see. That 110 alloy is very good as a heatsink and expensive.

lau

Feb 5, 2023
Guys , I modified the copper heatsink (2.5"X2.6"x0.195") but I don't know if that exercise was worth it . As @BobS mention earlier in his post I use thermal paste MX6 in my case to sandwitch the modify heatsink between CPU/GPU and AL case . I did run Prime 95 on win 10 for like 4 hours temp around 61 deg C , but idle around 40-42 deg C . with fan inside blowing on the memory and Nvme. to get more accurate I need to run around 200- 300 hours to settle the thermal paste . With proxmox I didn't check temp but easily you can hold your hand on the device . Running prime 95 saturates the cheap aluminium case . I believe for what I will use it will be more than ok . Did I mention the heatsink makes contact with CPU/GPU.

Attachments

Reactions: Meich

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
Sweet....;-)

Your temps are good and having idle temps in low 40's after saturating the case is about as good as it gets without a case mounted fan. Making me want to buy a couple of flat heat pipes and mill a couple of grooves in both the case and copper heatsink. A bit of thermal epoxy to secure them to the grooves should do it. Like you said, the thermal delta may not have been enough to justify the amount of work but look at it this way... it kept you busy and interested - priceless...

The photo's are great but it looks like you milled grooves and not a flat surface or is that just the milling marks? Thanks for sharing.

BobS

lau

Feb 5, 2023
I had a great guy in company he did the mill , he mills flat the case and also the copper flatness came pretty good . This new CPU ?GPu combo works good at at high temp naot like in old days . The case is cast aluminiun which isn't that great as thermal conductor as aluminium I'm not talking about copper ( way better ) , which means the copper transfer the heat pretty quick but the cheap cast alloy gets saturated not colling quick enough . As a comparation my i7 on my laptop runs idle @35-36 deg C I'm not sure if is worth it to mess with heat pipes , will be fun ... please let us know you never know .

Last edited:

Sagidullin

Jan 9, 2023
Hello! Please tell me how to find an adapter-cable for a fan, as in your photo? Preferably on Aliexpress.
Thank you

BobS

Dec 2, 2022
Hello! Please tell me how to find an adapter-cable for a fan, as in your photo? Preferably on Aliexpress.
Thank you
I can't guarantee that this will work for your system but the cable assy is a Dupont Pico 4 wire 1.25mm pitch female connector to a 2.54mm male connector. I found this on AliExpess and it looks to be one that will work but it's not an exact match to the one shown in the photo's above.

The difference is that the female end (2.54mm) has a hood over the male pins but it should work. You need to decide for yourself.

Have you contacted the vendor that you purchased your mini from? They should be able to help. All the info I have is in the above posts I've made.

BobS

Last edited: