Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Has anyone gotten Server Core 2022 installed on the Topton?
wrote a guide to get this working here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...ported-adapters-on-windows-server-core.40128/

Also - one can use this method to install all the OTHER device drivers that Server Core won't install. You will NOT be able to update these drivers via the Windows Admin Center Device Manager
  • For Intel INF drivers, download the SetupChipset utility from here: Chipset INF Utility and run SetupChipset.exe /s for silent install - this should cover most of the system chipset devices.

• But if you're still seeing devices that don't have drivers - like PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4DE0 - either load the Intel ME driver (Intel® Management Engine Drivers for Windows® 10 and Windows® 11) or then use devcon to update the drivers one by one. For example in the ME engine setup zip, there's the drivers\MEI\win10 directory which contains heci.inf which contains an entry for "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4DE0". Therefore you can use devcon

devcon update heci.inf "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4DE0"

This should install the driver successfully

• Still other drivers such as ACPI\INT34C8 - these are available via Microsoft's catalog Microsoft Update Catalog - download and use the same devcon trick to update drivers.
Other than the i225-V drivers, none of the others needed any modifications to the INF

So far the only drivers I see not working or installed are for the sound system and for the GNA accelerator. I have no need to install these. However, with the INF & Chipset drivers installed, I get working Speedshift and DPTF - so the platform runs nice and cool and uses minimal energy

Reactions: Stovar

grotim

May 8, 2023
Did they reply? I'm having the same issue - the drive works fine in another N5015-based mini PC.
I have been in touch with someone too, but he was not very helpful.(he thought that the issue was related to the drive being faulty rather than a bios issue)

Oarman

Feb 28, 2021
I know the interest has moved on to the newer boxes, but just as a data point, my CWWK J6413 box made it 52 days uptime without issue, OPNSense VM on Proxmox with the 6.2.6 kernel and latest microcode updates. I had had one previous KVM crash on a 6.1.something kernel before that. Other than that this device has been trouble-free, only other restarts have been for updates.

dums

Aug 14, 2022
Hi,
I've updated my NAS project to version 2.
Features:
  • Now it has two HDDs (versus single HDD in v1)
  • Cooling FAN for HDD cage
  • Software controlled ON/OFF relay for HDD FAN
  • FAN speed controller (manual)
  • Power supply circuit for second HDD
front.jpg
back.jpg
full.jpg
empty.jpg
board1.jpg

cioby23

Aug 11, 2022
Hello,

Can someone provide me link for a compatible 80x80x10 fan for a CWWK v5 N5105 mini PC ?

Is this the Fan connector (4 pin) where it needs to be connected (pointed by the red arrow) ?
mini_pc.jpg

Thank you.

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
Hello,

Can someone provide me link for a compatible 80x80x10 fan for a CWWK v5 N5105 mini PC ?

Is this the Fan connector (4 pin) where it needs to be connected (pointed by the red arrow) ?

Thank you.
Not the greatest solution but I'm using a n old Antec 100mm 3 speed fan powered by one of the USB ports so it is silent but is enough to significantly reduce the temps

cioby23

Aug 11, 2022
Small update on v4 testing:

Included fan (80x80x10) is a bit noisy but does the job.
Buzzer is way louder than any other device I have owned so far. In fact, it is too loud.
The unit does not like it too much if you disable Intel ME, there are 2x three short beeps at POST if disabled.

So far I'm pretty satisfied with the device, better than the KingNovy/Topton with Changwang v2 Board.
Can you please tell me what cable are you using for connecting the 80x80x10 fan on the motherboard fan connector ?
Thank you.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
So it seems like changwang may have a new bios for the N5015:

And the google translate is:
BIOS updates:

1. Update the latest CPU microcode

2. Fixed the crash restart issue in the case of virtual machine

3, is still full blood full power consumption open version (please pay attention to heat dissipation)
... i haven't tried it. it would be interesting if it fixed that problem with the combo of opnsense inside proxmox.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
So it seems like changwang may have a new bios for the N5015:

And the google translate is:

... i haven't tried it. it would be interesting if it fixed that problem with the combo of opnsense inside proxmox.
See post-374120

I have it installed at my v4. No issues so far, but I'm not running proxmox, just opnsense bare metal

EffEnnK

Oct 15, 2022
Did they reply? I'm having the same issue - the drive works fine in another N5015-based mini PC.
I own a Changwang N5105 V2 since 2022. august. I use it as a home lab Hyper-V host with Windows Server 2019 (1TB NVME and 64GB RAM). Windows Server 2022 is not stable on it as the VM's do BSOD (bot Linux and Windows guests), however the physical machine seems to be stable.

I sent them a question about this firmware update to the V2 last week but they have not answered yet... I have a VGA version with BIOS VER 1.1 dated 2022/04/24.

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
Anyone look into or attempt a coreboot load on these devices?
Unfortunately the only vendor I've found so far with Coreboot is Protecli, and they don't come cheap nor with i226.

BTW, that Gigabyte backdoor is pretty bad. Hopefully there is no backdoor like that on linux-based OSes.

defizr

Jun 1, 2023
Hi all. First post.

I'm thinking of buying one of these fanless 2.5GB boxes just to experiment with. I have no particular use in mind for it at the moment and I don't want to pay for the full bells and whistles model yet.

It seems that the N5105 is the CPU to have but looking on Aliexpress there are so many makes/variations that it's all a bit confusing.

Is there a current consensus on which make/model/shop it's best to buy from.

I'm in the UK and will be stuck with a 20% tax increase on Aliexpress rises at checkout :eek:

TIA.

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
Hi all. First post.

I'm thinking of buying one of these fanless 2.5GB boxes just to experiment with. I have no particular use in mind for it at the moment and I don't want to pay for the full bells and whistles model yet.

It seems that the N5105 is the CPU to have but looking on Aliexpress there are so many makes/variations that it's all a bit confusing.

Is there a current consensus on which make/model/shop it's best to buy from.

I'm in the UK and will be stuck with a 20% tax increase on Aliexpress rises at checkout :eek:

TIA.
I would consider a N100 based one. They are super fast and run so much cooler than the N5x and N6x gen.

Code:
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +29.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +29.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +29.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +29.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +30.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Downside is only the one DDR5 RAM slot (upto 32Gb) and the current price.

The better sellers are Topton and CWWK.

Reactions: defizr

defizr

Jun 1, 2023
I would consider a N100 based one. They are super fast and run so much cooler than the N5x and N6x gen.

Code:
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +29.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +29.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +29.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +29.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +30.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Downside is only the one DDR5 RAM slot (upto 32Gb) and the current price.

The better sellers are Topton and CWWK.
Thanks for the quick reply. Does the N100 support 2.5 inch SATA drives? I have one going spare that I'd like to use rather than it going to waste.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Thanks for the quick reply. Does the N100 support 2.5 inch SATA drives? I have one going spare that I'd like to use rather than it going to waste.
Yes and no.

The 4 port boxes have a power connector/power cable for SATA being delivered, but you will need a SATA adapter card for the data connection. I would check if a new drive isn't cheaper than such an adapter and then go with a N100. They are really faster than the N5xxx versions.

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
The price of NVME have dropped significantly recently (In UK at least) where a 1Tb is around the same price as a 250Gb was late last year.

Example (I purchased one of these recently)

This is my one with 2x NVME