Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
I just stumbled onto a thread on the Proxmox forums on this. I'm giving it a go now. On bare metal I didn't experience any issues with the soft reboot/freeze after sustained downloads, so I'm crossing my fingers. Thanks for the reply on this!
that's most likely your issue. latest 5.19 kernel has been rock solid with me and I'm running opnSense in Proxmox

Reactions: GreenAvacado

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
that's most likely your issue. latest 5.19 kernel has been rock solid with me and I'm running opnSense in Proxmox
I second that. 5.19 been rock solid for me as well.

BTW, are you running the 5.19.16-1 edge or official 5.19.7-2-pve? I'm on edge at the moment but did like to eventually move to PVE official branch.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Still no takers on the Ryzen models :( According to AliExpress they've sold a number of units - but nobody has spoken up about the quality and reliability . . . . Hard to find ANY information except for a nice Chinese video : Ryzen 5825U i226 Firewall and here and here at least we are getting some good visuals from the inside!! ;)
Speaking about AMD...

Loksing offers an AMD 5600U . TDP of the CPU is 15W which is an indication of the consumption, but has anyone information about the power idle consumption? The AMD has more computing power than the N5105, and assumed it draws some more W than the N5105, it still would be an option to run opnsense in a vm (with proxmox) and still have an at least similar fast system like a baremetal opnsense box on a N5105. This offers the possibility to run more vms and reduce the total power consumption in the network by consolidating an existing low power NAS into a single machine, the AMD one

Reactions: Stovar

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
I second that. 5.19 been rock solid for me as well.

BTW, are you running the 5.19.16-1 edge or official 5.19.7-2-pve? I'm on edge at the moment but did like to eventually move to PVE official branch.
I moved from edge to the official (Linux 5.19.7-2-pve) 10 days ago and have been running ever since :cool:

1666783047190.png

Reactions: GreenAvacado

Jakub

Oct 16, 2022
Still no takers on the Ryzen models :( According to AliExpress they've sold a number of units - but nobody has spoken up about the quality and reliability . . . . Hard to find ANY information except for a nice Chinese video : Ryzen 5825U i226 Firewall and here and here at least we are getting some good visuals from the inside!! ;)
I plan on getting the 5825U once the 6-port version comes out. It'll be a HUGE and much needed performance upgrade over the N5105 I have.

I run the 5105 bare bones, but maxed it out pretty fast. Wish I had known I needed more power, oh well!

The 5105 will go to my parents and I'll put their current router in AP mode. They'll get to enjoy Suricata and Sensei.

Gilly_1970

Aug 18, 2022
Hey guys,,,i placed the order for Topton N5105 since 22 October and till now still not shipped, as the store keeps telling me its under testing? WTF
Is that normal?
Yes it is unfortunatly... I went through the same experiance with Topton. I ordered from Topton on the 03/08 and 3 weeks later my order still hadn't been shipped. I ended up having to cancelling the order and reordered through CWWK. Topton will keep taking everyone's money even when his out of stock. And anyone who has been following this thread from the start will know that Topton also sells units with the ES/QS sample chips and not retail.. Sorry, but he is as dodge as f%#$.

dums

Aug 14, 2022
Hey guys,,,i placed the order for Topton N5105 since 22 October and till now still not shipped, as the store keeps telling me its under testing? WTF
Is that normal?
Normal if you chose "seller's shipping method", it would mean they need to accumulate more items addressed to your region to ship in bulk.
In my case:
Ordered 07.15
Shipped 07.21
Delivered in EU 08.06

If you chose ali default shipping, they will mark it as shipped almost instantly, but in the end delivery might take way longer.

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Yes it is unfortunatly... I went through the same experiance with Topton. I ordered from Topton on the 03/08 and 3 weeks later my order still hadn't been shipped. I ended up having to cancelling the order and reordered through CWWK. Topton will keep taking everyone's money even when his out of stock. And anyone who has been following this thread from the start will know that Topton also sells units with the ES/QS sample chips and not retail.. Sorry, but he is as dodge as f%#$.
Which "Topton" are we referring to?!? When I look as AliExpress - I see Topton "Official Store", "Computer Store", "PC Store", "Direct Store", etc. Very confusing o_O CWWK costs substantially more (for the base model 5825U - no RAM/SSD they want €553 with no express shipping like DHL) - from all others its €452 plus €27 for DHL shipping - That's another reason I'm holding back - on Amazon Germany there is a unit from KinvoyPC but it's only the 5800U unit (which is awfully tempting because there seems to be very little difference between the 5825U and 5800U) :rolleyes:

Reactions: johnknierim

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
Is the 5825u a better CPU than the 1165g7 if the goal is to run esxi/proxmox with pfsense with site to site vpn and pihole?

They don't make any of these things with SFP ports for 10 gig do they?

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Is the 5825u a better CPU than the 1165g7 if the goal is to run esxi/proxmox with pfsense with site to site vpn and pihole?

They don't make any of these things with SFP ports for 10 gig do they?
All will work with Proxmox - unfortunately, none with 10G ports - The Ryzens are more interesting because of the 8 cores 16 threads @ 15W - here's a quick comparison:
compare.png

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Is that normal?
Well the CS rep called you "dear" so that's cute.

As long as we're updating on shipping, I ordered a unit (n5105, i226 version, but the basic style case) from the " YSJMNPC Computer Store". . Ordered on 14th, shipped on the 16th. Looks like it's shipping through Singapore, and is still en route. Will update with the adventure when I get it.

yahyoh

Sep 9, 2022
Normal if you chose "seller's shipping method", it would mean they need to accumulate more items addressed to your region to ship in bulk.
In my case:
Ordered 07.15
Shipped 07.21
Delivered in EU 08.06

If you chose ali default shipping, they will mark it as shipped almost instantly, but in the end delivery might take way longer.
Well im totally sure I have chosen Aramex shipping method not seller shipping method.

T.Sharp

Oct 22, 2022
I was doing a bit of research after ordering memory for the WooYi N5100, and I discovered that the x16 modules can have significantly worse performance than x8, depending on the workload. I bought a cheap 2x4GB 1Rx16 3200 Samsung kit off ebay before realizing I may have goofed.

Has anyone benchmarked these low power boxes with x8 and x16 memory, at matching speeds?

Reactions: mephisto and sqrwv

Thorror

Sep 16, 2022
Which "Topton" are we referring to?!? When I look as AliExpress - I see Topton "Official Store", "Computer Store", "PC Store", "Direct Store", etc. Very confusing o_O CWWK costs substantially more (for the base model 5825U - no RAM/SSD they want €553 with no express shipping like DHL) - from all others its €452 plus €27 for DHL shipping - That's another reason I'm holding back - on Amazon Germany there is a unit from KinvoyPC but it's only the 5800U unit (which is awfully tempting because there seems to be very little difference between the 5825U and 5800U) :rolleyes:
The Toptons stores belong all to the same company IMO. And don't let the seller shipping method dates confuse you. I ordered my J6413 6 Port Unit on 4th October and received it in Germany at 20th October without additional costs (sellers shipping method). A chinese company (YunExpress) ships it via plane to Frankfurt and DHL delivers the parcel to your doorstep. I bought it at Topton computer store for 217$. I paid in $ because it is cheaper than to pay in in € if you have a credit card which does not charge you additional fees for paying in foreign currency

Last edited:
Reactions: rfox