Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I ordered the N6005/i226 v4 from CWWK - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004641076475.html. Added 1x16GB and 250GB NVMe from Amazon. Took about a week to arrive in Melbourne. It's running native Pfsense 2.7 dev build with Snort on balanced setting. 1Gbps down on WAN. I'm really happy with it's performance. It idles at ~60oC. Thinking I might re-apply some thermal paste to get the temp down.
new thermal paste won't do much, i would not bother tbh.
I've got that same model from the same supplier and agree with pigr8 it's not worth the effort.

Fury

Oct 22, 2022
I’ve just ordered an n5105 with i226 and just wanted to ask a few things.
My goal is to run ProxMox and virtualise OpnSense and TrueNas or OMV.
  • Can you boot off the TF card slot?
  • Has anyone benchmarked the two m2 slots? Appreciate they are only x1.
  • Wanting to use both m2 slots and the sata port for storage in TrueNas, has anyone done this?

Reactions: Stovar

andrea87

Oct 15, 2022
North-east Italy
Time to join the discussion, I've just got shipped a box with 4x i225-v (b3) and a Pentium 7505. No memory or SSD as I've got a few spares around.

I'm planning on doing Proxmox, a router (OPNSense most likely), a DNS Blocker (either inside OPN or in a dedicated VM) and perhaps a few other services.

For those that tweaked with those machines a bit, are they strictly 12V input or a broader range, let's say up to 14V? I'd like to have both the router and switch ( a simple Netgear GS108 8 gbe for the time being) on a battery-backed up system. So either Lithium (11-12.6V) or Lead Acid (12-14V).

• Wanting to use both m2 slots and the sata port for storage in TrueNas, has anyone done this?
Don't use anything else besides a SSD or HDD to install proxmox on. Keep in mind it's still a linux / debian install. It does log a lot of stuff and has several processes running that will continuously read/write onto the disk. Flash drives are not meant for this kind of workload, and you would end killing yours in a very short time. Just search for proxmox on SD or TF and you'll get plenty of answers on the topic.

Reactions: Stovar and Fury

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
I believe two m2 drives is a no go in these?

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
I'm planning on doing Proxmox, a router (OPNSense most likely), a DNS Blocker (either inside OPN or in a dedicated VM) and perhaps a few other services.
Just a reminder that you already know, also consider an IP (black list) blocker.
When blocking domain names, I caught some apps, trying to use the domain names, then when they couldn't resolve them, they switch to the fixed IP.
Then maybe suricata/snort, there's a false sense of security until we look into what's going on in our LAN.

Reactions: Fury

denisyan

Oct 20, 2022
So, update.
Ordered J6412 from CWWK store, and i can say that support is outstanding! First we started chat at website, then on Aliexpress.
The seller communicates via translation, but everything is fine.

He confirmed that device is V4 on black mobo, with i-226. Also, he promised to add WiFi6 antennas at no cost.
And he also said that in a week or so, there will be V5 mobo with single M.2 but with 2x speed and updated TF slot with boot option.

Attachments

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
So, update.
Ordered J6412 from CWWK store, and i can say that support is outstanding! First we started chat at website, then on Aliexpress.
The seller communicates via translation, but everything is fine.

He confirmed that device is V4 on black mobo, with i-226. Also, he promised to add WiFi6 antennas at no cost.
And he also said that in a week or so, there will be V5 mobo with single M.2 but with 2x speed and updated TF slot with boot option.
Is there a version of J6412/J6413 out there with two display port/HDMI? Bummer this one can only drive one 4K monitor.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
As far as I can remember, No you can not, but I will try to check it again later for you as it was a while ago that I tried it.
That's a confirmed 'No' for booting from the TF card slot.

Yes, you can use both the M.2 slots and the SATA port together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fury

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Oh, that's great. I don't plan to add two M.2 drives. Guess I will wait then with my order. Or I wait and hope the V4 gets a price redution.

Anyone aware of some special sales dates with price reductions on ali in near future?

Last edited:

T.Sharp

Oct 22, 2022
Well I decided to join the club after seeing the N5100, 4x i225 box on aliexpress for $113.
I've been wanting to build a pfsense box for a while and couldn't pass up the deal. Really glad I found this thread and all the good info :cool:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804116114245.html

Fortunately I have a bunch of copper shims already, since it appears this WooYi version suffers from the cooler gap.

I'm surprised how little info there is on the N5100 version specifically, but I will update when it gets here. It seems like the N5100 might be the better option for minimal power draw, compared to the N5105. TDP is 6W vs 10W, base clock is 1.1GHz vs 2.0GHz, and turbo is 2.8 vs 2.9, so I wouldn't expect much difference in max performance, but hopefully it can save a couple watts in normal use.

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
Well I decided to join the club after seeing the N5100, 4x i225 box on aliexpress for $113.
I've been wanting to build a pfsense box for a while and couldn't pass up the deal. Really glad I found this thread and all the good info :cool:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804116114245.html

Fortunately I have a bunch of copper shims already, since it appears this WooYi version suffers from the cooler gap.

I'm surprised how little info there is on the N5100 version specifically, but I will update when it gets here. It seems like the N5100 might be the better option for minimal power draw, compared to the N5105. TDP is 6W vs 10W, base clock is 1.1GHz vs 2.0GHz, and turbo is 2.8 vs 2.9, so I wouldn't expect much difference in max performance, but hopefully it can save a couple watts in normal use.
Passmark score 3342 Vs 4096. Not a small difference, but maybe it is enough for your particular case.

Reactions: Stovar and T.Sharp

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
Good price, I'm curious about what you'll find, I asked that myself when looking at intel specs, thing is that intel TDP is mainly based on cpu base clock, so we'll see. Probably lower idle values and we'll see when cpu is full load.

-----------------------
About (first gen) 10nm cpus being hotter and consume more than the previous gen. 14nm cpus, back in the day, intel could not launch 10 nm for many years and the first time they launched them because they couldn't wait any more, but the cpus need much more power and were much hotter than 14nm, so they couldn't even launch the desktop models, but launched the "low power" mobile versions. That's the news I have read about the first iteration of intel 10nm, back in the day when I was waiting to replace my desktop cpu.
Then, in the following years there were several iterations of 10nm+, 10nm++, about those I don't know, I didn't follow the news. I also don't know what 10nm generation/iteration N5100, N5105 are, but I'm not surprised they consume more and are hotter than 14nm J4125.

Last edited:
Reactions: T.Sharp

T.Sharp

Oct 22, 2022
Passmark score 3342 Vs 4096. Not a small difference, but maybe it is enough for your particular case.
Ahh, you're right, I was looking at the max single core turbo. The 4 core turbo speed is 2.2GHz vs. 2.6GHz, so definitely not insignificant. :oops:

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I also don't know what 10nm generation/iteration N5100, N5105 are, but I'm not surprised they consume more and are hotter than 14nm J4125.
You don’t have to not know - Intel documents everything. Here’s the ARK info

If the lithography changes, ARK will clearly note that. For example here’s Raptor with the 3rd gen 10nm (aka Intel 7)

and here’s the 10nm SuperFin

observe the different values for “lithography“

Btw - the difference in power consumption of the J4125 vs the N5105 is easily explained by the fact that the N5105 has a more complex GPU and drives the memory harder than the J4125. And it has PCIe 3.0 vs the 2.0 the J4125 has. All that easily explains the extra 3W idle. Under load the J4125 consumes ~18W. Apparently it won’t turbo or exceed its TDP as easily as the N5105. If you want to get the N5105to conform to the same thermal envelope - it’s trivial to clamp the PL1/PL2/PL3 values to your liking and test with a wattmeter

Reactions: dazagrt

StasT

Oct 23, 2022
Hello everyone.
I'm thinking to buy form SWWK Store barebone Upgrade i226-V N5105 Softroute or J6412 /J6413Six-network Port I226 NIC 2.5G to run OPNsence bare metal.
I'm planning to buy Western Digital 250GB WD Blue SN570 NVMe SSD and Crucial RAM 8GB DDR4 3200MHz .
My network will look like:
ATT Fiber Gateway (BGW 210-700) in Pass-through mode => FW appliance =>
1. TP-Link Omada 610 AP. (about 10 clients)
2.Two gaming PCs and Roku Ultra, all are wired.
My questions are:
1. Do I need a switch after a FW appliance (possible switch ) or I can use a FW appliance's ports? My internet speed is 1 Gig.
2. If I will use a FW appliance's ports how much performance it will cost?
3. What do you this about my choice of SSD and RAM? I'm open for better ideas.

Sorry for bad English.
Thanks in advance.

TH_user

Aug 22, 2022
I would recommend the switch. STH has reviewed some quite inexpensive 2.5 Gb switches Hasivo and TP-Link available on aliexpress.

I also have the six nic 5105 and was not happy with the nics bridged. It was always something to troubleshoot. Put a 1 Gb switch behind it and it's been trouble free since. I'll upgrade to one of the above units soon.

Reactions: denisyan and StasT

sqrwv

Oct 8, 2022
You don’t have to not know - Intel documents everything. Here’s the ARK info

If the lithography changes, ARK will clearly note that. For example here’s Raptor with the 3rd gen 10nm (aka Intel 7)

and here’s the 10nm SuperFin

observe the different values for “lithography“
I did look into those N5105 intel specs, but still don't know if the 10nm in N5105 is the first 10nm iteration.
Is it the 1rst 10 nm iteration? That was the issue I had with the intel site specs.
I'm not familiarized with 10nm designations. I had read 10nm, 10nm+, etc.

Here is what Anand said about first 10nm iteration:
What Products Use Intel 10nm? SuperFin and 10++ Demystified
" This version of 10nm didn’t get off the ground. Intel eventually put it into the Crimson Canyon NUC family in late 2018, but it was slower than the 14+++ processors it was meant to replace, and used more power."

So when I say I don't know what 10nm generation is N5105 10nm, I was trying to say that probably it's not be the 1rst gen in the news I read at 10nm launch. It's well known the trouble intel had with 10nm development and still has with reducing/shrinking it's lithography.

Btw - the difference in power consumption of the J4125 vs the N5105 is easily explained by the fact that the N5105 has a more complex GPU and drives the memory harder than the J4125. And it has PCIe 3.0 vs the 2.0 the J4125 has. All that easily explains the extra 3W idle. Under load the J4125 consumes ~18W. Apparently it won’t turbo or exceed its TDP as easily as the N5105. If you want to get the N5105to conform to the same thermal envelope - it’s trivial to clamp the PL1/PL2/PL3 values to your liking and test with a wattmeter
Could you link where you saw J4125 boxes consume ~18W in full load?
I was looking for that and saw servethehome video that says 5 idle and 10W load.
I had google for J4125 box reviews and I read max 8W to 13W full load in a few different boxes (some have a FAN and don't care about power/temps), also mains power consuption depends on HW inside the box:
Beelink GKmini Review - An Intel Celeron J4125 mini PC reviewed with Windows 10 Pro, Ubuntu 20.04 - CNX Software
GMK NucBox Review - A palm-sized Windows 10 mini PC - CNX Software
MeLE Quieter2 Review - Windows 10, Ubuntu 20.04, and eGPU - CNX Software

What happens to the N5105 passmark full load performance advantage when people have to limit it's power ?
I couldn't find a comparative like iperf3 WAN/LAN NAT firewall in equivalent boxes.

Doesn't mean I don't want to buy a N5105, it's just I always compare CPUs price/speed/power/temperature.
Manufactures can play with all those variables when they release a cpu, so I don't look only at price/speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar and dazagrt