Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus viability in Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

coolerdonk

Mar 7, 2024
Hi all,

I am planning a build which is currently configured to have 4x 12TB HDDs (HDD- HUH721212ALE601), and 2x 4TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus M.2, and 768GB RAM.
I would like to configure the server such that it uses ZFS RAIDZ-1 and caching to leverage the super fast M.2. I should mention MOBO is a H13SSL-N.

I'll be running proxmox as my virtualization platform with the following virtual machines to start out with:
- A jellyfin host (and so a whole bunch of media stored on the HDD, let's assume 20TB)
- A scientific computing machine for large parallel CPU tasks and GPU tasks (and so a few large datasets stored on the HDD, let's assume 10Tb).

Here's my question for you. Are the Sabrent drives up for the task given the write amplification that might be happening here? Will I be limited by drive speed anywhere?

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
For a better experience I would be looking at the U.3 drives out there like Kioxia. I picked one up to swap to SSDs instead of spinners and the price break for similar capacities with the same performance is a low bar. If you compare M2 8TB $800 / U.3 8TB $400 or U.3 15.36TB at ~$950 it makes more sense to switch formats. The downside though is some U drives run really hot compared to M2 versions and need direct cooling. Other U drives have some weird issues though as well.

amplification
Not really an issue IRL. Sure, it's a thing but, not a real issue to spend time on when you look at the DWPD.

drive speed anywhere?
Going from the cache to the spinners.

coolerdonk

Mar 7, 2024
For a better experience I would be looking at the U.3 drives out there like Kioxia. I picked one up to swap to SSDs instead of spinners and the price break for similar capacities with the same performance is a low bar. If you compare M2 8TB $800 / U.3 8TB $400 or U.3 15.36TB at ~$950 it makes more sense to switch formats. The downside though is some U drives run really hot compared to M2 versions and need direct cooling. Other U drives have some weird issues though as well.

Not really an issue IRL. Sure, it's a thing but, not a real issue to spend time on when you look at the DWPD.

Going from the cache to the spinners.
When you say a better experience, what's the advantage in your mind of switching from the M.2 to the U.3? I'm unfamiliar with the latter. I'm getting good deals on second hand M.2 so the price is somewhat secondary.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
The U class using a 2.5" format allows for better heat dissipation and isn't consumer grade like the M2 we've been dealt.

If you get a great deal on them then just go for it. The only place for M2 in my mind at this point though is a laptop not a server. If you have space for something larger than a M2 stick it's worth checking into other options. It also depends on your budget though as well since most MOBOs don't have native U connectors in place which means adding ~$50/drive for an adapter/cable to get it working.

This shows you the model #'s but, I think they stopped storing inventory since they all show OOS unless drop shipped. I ended up buying a couple off Amazon but, then switched to one off ebay ultimately. Prices will vary wildly across different sites if you decide to get them. For the one I went with the prices ranged from $900-$3000 for the same model.

Reactions: coolerdonk