Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Balthxzar

Apr 1, 2024
I got my MS-01 a week ago and so far it's been doing great in my homelab, I had an issue with NVMe devices dropping out randomly, one m.2 (random toshiba PCIe 3.0 drive) just would not work at all, in any slot, and my PM1735a drops out on boot occasionally requiring a restart.
I am thinking about getting a Micro 7400 u.2 drive to use in the adapter, has anyone tried micron drives? I'm worried that I'll invest the cash and then be stuck with a drive that randomly drops out.

MrTeeJay

Feb 19, 2019
Haven't notice anyone else comment before, but I'm using the Corsair MP600 8TB nvme's and they work perfectly fine. So can easy, make this wee unit a 24TB NAS. Also, got some Samsung 8TB SSD's so will probably use a USB to Sata converter and mount them in the space where the Pcie card is. So can easily have 40TB of portable non-magnetic storage...

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
Haven't notice anyone else comment before, but I'm using the Corsair MP600 8TB nvme's and they work perfectly fine. So can easy, make this wee unit a 24TB NAS. Also, got some Samsung 8TB SSD's so will probably use a USB to Sata converter and mount them in the space where the Pcie card is. So can easily have 40TB of portable non-magnetic storage...
Is there any good source to get those below $800 a piece at this point?

hothchicken

Nov 2, 2023
Placed an order last week. Asked about an ETA and they informed me they are out of stock and I can expect it towards the end of May for the US.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
Placed an order last week. Asked about an ETA and they informed me they are out of stock and I can expect it towards the end of May for the US.
You'll be waiting very long time. Most of us pre-ordered in January and barely just get some unit shipped. I'm still wafting for my 3rd unit to be shipped hopefully by late May. Demand is way higher than expected plus Chinese New Year put a damper on production.

nirbo

Mar 4, 2024
Is it possible to add an Oculink PCIe or has anyone tried? I'm using mine as a high end workstation and plan on using it with an external GPU. I found this little guy on Amazon.

If I ever get my MS-01 (April 11 ETA! YAY) and my Oculink PCIe card (May 26th ETA, BOOOO) I'll let you know.

I bought the OSMETA EG-01. Comes as an enclosure with a PSU and an Oculink 8i card.

The theory is sound. I'll have to wait to see it in practice.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
an oculink egpu would be a much better long term solution than trying to cram some sff gpu with a low power budget in there, that's brilliant. I may just have to test this!

nirbo

Mar 4, 2024
an oculink egpu would be a much better long term solution than trying to cram some sff gpu with a low power budget in there, that's brilliant. I may just have to test this!
There are a few options with this thing. Oculink 8i is probably the best as you should get 8 full lanes of PCIe. (128Gbps)

Oculunk 4x can be done with a pci card OR a m.2 adapter. Both would max out at 4 lanes (64Gbps)

And USB4/TB is another option although it caps out at 40Gbps.

I'm planning to test USB4 and Oculink 8i once it finally all gets delivered.

Looks like I'll be testing USB4 soon and OcuLink 8i late May. Either way I'll post some pictures and details and possibly tears when it happens.

anewsome

Mar 15, 2024
If I ever get my MS-01 (April 11 ETA! YAY) and my Oculink PCIe card (May 26th ETA, BOOOO) I'll let you know.

I bought the OSMETA EG-01. Comes as an enclosure with a PSU and an Oculink 8i card.

The theory is sound. I'll have to wait to see it in practice.
I've been running an Intel NUC with a M.2 to Oculink adapter (4 lane). Running with an RTX 4060ti and it's been very stable. I trained a couple of text to speech models on it and never once had a hiccup. I heard the Oculink was better than Thunderbolt, but I can't say, since I've never connected a GPU with Thunderbolt. I also have a PCIe 4x Oculink card. I'm running one of those in another system, also with a RTX 4060ti. It's also solid and has been running LLMs with Ollama for weeks. No hiccups or issues with the PCIe card either. Those Oculink connectors scare me though, they seem so fragile.

REDGTA

Feb 2, 2022
Are you running any kind of RAID? Has anyone tried the on-board raid or is some software raid solution (such as Storage Spaces) best?

Reactions: thekobk

anewsome

Mar 15, 2024
Compatibility confirmed with the Blackmagic Decklink 8K Pro Mini pcie card. View attachment 35931View attachment 35932View attachment 35933
This is great news. The DeckLink 8k looks as snug as a bug in a rug. Have you actually done some captures with it? I'm assuming you're using it directly in the OS installed on the hardware? I'd be more interested in PCIe passthrough since my MS01 will all be running a hypervisor. I do have an older Decklink card, currently running on a dedicated portable field recorder (Cinedeck). Once I get my cluster up and running, I'll try pulling the card from the field recorder and installing it into an MS01 and passing it through to a VM.

Arisian

Apr 8, 2024
This is great news. The DeckLink 8k looks as snug as a bug in a rug. Have you actually done some captures with it? I'm assuming you're using it directly in the OS installed on the hardware? I'd be more interested in PCIe passthrough since my MS01 will all be running a hypervisor. I do have an older Decklink card, currently running on a dedicated portable field recorder (Cinedeck). Once I get my cluster up and running, I'll try pulling the card from the field recorder and installing it into an MS01 and passing it through to a VM.
Yes using with Windows 11, gave it a fairly good test today, no issues found.

Reactions: anewsome

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
It did require some pushing on them to ship the order.
Got my DHL waybill, will see if it's another of their tactic to stall.
Check your status with DHL. A MinisForum shipment arrived this evening in Cincy at around 7:35PM and is currently in the customs clearing house awaiting its inspection.

MaedaBox

Mar 22, 2024
Check your status with DHL. A MinisForum shipment arrived this evening in Cincy at around 7:35PM and is currently in the customs clearing house awaiting its inspection.
Nope, have yet to be picked up by DHL.
Also, just out of curiosity... how did you know about the shipment arrival in Cincy?

TechMinerUK

Apr 11, 2024
Ordered mine Jan 21. I too complained and asked for a refund or shipment by the end of the week.
They now say it will ship before the end of the week.
I told them I'm not waiting until May while they're fulfilling orders to Amazon in the EU and people who didn't pre-order are getting them next day.
I'm very patient, but DAMN.
Glad to know I am not the only one, ordered two MS-01s on the 24th Jan and was told they would despatch late March, chase the support team last week and was told it would be a few days before they are off the production line, fast forward to today and still nothing so I've emailed again.

Really infuriating as it feels like being hung out to dry unless you actively try and find the info from them, that and the rest of my kit is here ready to setup my new cluster other than the servers themselves :(

Arisian

Apr 8, 2024
Glad to know I am not the only one, ordered two MS-01s on the 24th Jan and was told they would despatch late March, chase the support team last week and was told it would be a few days before they are off the production line, fast forward to today and still nothing so I've emailed again.

Really infuriating as it feels like being hung out to dry unless you actively try and find the info from them, that and the rest of my kit is here ready to setup my new cluster other than the servers themselves :(
Wow I must have been lucky - ordered 25th March arrived 3rd April - maybe it's a UK thing? less waiting?