Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
AH, thanks for explanation. I haven't read any major heat issues with using all 3 NVMe slots. I will be populating all 3 slots for Proxmox CEPH storage. Sticking with Minisforum's recommended Samsung PM983a 1.88TB Enterprise 22110 drives. Hopefully I won't have any thermal issues. Would be nice to be able to bifurcate on PCIe slot, but seems that's not possible.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
AH, thanks for explanation. I haven't read any major heat issues with using all 3 NVMe slots. I will be populating all 3 slots for Proxmox CEPH storage. Sticking with Minisforum's recommended Samsung PM983a 1.88TB Enterprise 22110 drives. Hopefully I won't have any thermal issues. Would be nice to be able to bifurcate on PCIe slot, but seems that's not possible.
Unless fan is running full blast I'd be worried and would watch out of the SMART temperature and number of temperature warnings the NVME it picks up. Even these enterprise drives are rated for 70C operation and temperature warning is used for warranty purposes. Something to keep in mind.

Because at low fan speed, noise being the primary concern I see Samsung PM983a U.2 hitting 70C on one of its temperature site on mild to moderate operation and it is not even summer yet.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
I'm not using U2. My 12900H kit comes with 1TB Kingston NVMe and other two slots I will use 22110 NVMe PM983a. This is exactly as MF recommended. I'll keep an eye on temps. Probably won't be mounting them inside my rack if air circulation is an issue.

nirbo

Mar 4, 2024
Wow that's absolutely BS. They keep pushing my ship date as well (pre-order Jan 30th). I complaint profusely and demanded refund. Then somehow they magically found 2 units to ship to me. On DHL truck right now out for delivery. Super fast as it was shipped just couple days ago from Hong Kong. They under-estimated how popular this machine would be. My advice, cancel order or just sit and wait if you really want it. I still have a 3rd unit waiting for shipment between April-May.
Ordered mine Jan 21. I too complained and asked for a refund or shipment by the end of the week.

They now say it will ship before the end of the week.

I told them I'm not waiting until May while they're fulfilling orders to Amazon in the EU and people who didn't pre-order are getting them next day.

I'm very patient, but DAMN.

Reactions: minisfckr-01

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
Lol that's exactly what I said too. No way in hell I'm waiting another month if others can get 2 days shipping on EU Amazon. Asked them why they do us pre-orders dirty like that. No answers. I got my 2 units today. Super fast shipping from Hong Kong. They seems to have a few units available for immediate shipping if you screaming and threaten to cancel orders. If you keep pushing they will offer $10 refund for each unit you ordered. I got $30 refund but haven't seen a penny credited to my account yet.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
lol, another successful shipment after threaten:D to cancel

Edit: finally got my $30 refund. The waiting sucks because this machine is so popular right now. But gotta give MF support credit. They're very responsive and offered me reasonable compensation for the long wait. I'm happy so far. Running memtest on my two units as we speak. Fingers and toes crossed

Last edited:
Reactions: nirbo

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
So I decided to take the plunge and ordered this card, should arrive this weekend for me to experiment.

Good news is that MS01 has room to accommodate this card but not enough clearance to tilt and slide card into the PCI slot.

Question for community -- how do you go about removing the side metal rails to make room or can anybody think of better way of doing this?

EDIT: And yeah, that full length PCI bracket will be replaced with low-profile one.

View attachment 35643
Sad to report my failed attempt in getting this PCI card installed.

Sadly my fear came true, not enough clearance to tilt and slide the card in. Mere 1cm legroom would have done the trick. To made the situation worst, chassis is a unibody on the edges, so disassembling won't help either :(

I gave up...:confused:

skipper ohms

Jan 24, 2024
Sad to report my failed attempt in getting this PCI card installed.

Sadly my fear came true, not enough clearance to tilt and slide the card in. Mere 1cm legroom would have done the trick. To made the situation worst, chassis is a unibody on the edges, so disassembling won't help either :(

I gave up...:confused:
If you're feeling adventurous, it looks like you can remove the motherboard by removing the four mounting screws but you'll also need to remove the CPU heat sink and probably the back panel to do it. If you do it, post some pics, would love to see it disassembled but I want my warranty intact at this stage.

ms-01-top.jpg

ms-01-bottom.jpg

Reactions: GreenAvacado

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
If you're feeling adventurous, it looks like you can remove the motherboard by removing the four mounting screws but you'll also need to remove the CPU heat sink and probably the back panel to do it. If you do it, post some pics, would love to see it disassembled but I want my warranty intact at this stage.

View attachment 35764

View attachment 35765
Thanks for the insight, figured that is one possible route I rather not take having applied liquid metal a month ago, hate to remove it all and redo. Pain in the butt.

MaedaBox

Mar 22, 2024
How long did it take for them to respond to you guys? Emailed them 3 days ago, and still haven't heard anything back.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
FYI, since i had put the 120mm usb fan under the machine (in the form of a laptop cooler pad), this gave me except the low temps in my 3 NVME's, lower temps in the cpu/gpu also (i have an RX6400 in the machine).

I suppose even if the 2 departments top & bottom have the motherboard to block the air to flow between them, the fun underneath the box lowers the motherboard temperature and that makes the above area and the CPU/GPU temps lower.

Imo the next minisforum machine that will be like this, needs at least 5cm higher casing or more.. with that it could had a 120 or 80mm fan at the bottom and higher size at the top for better cooling.
I dont think anyone will mind a higher box right?

Reactions: nicoska

thekobk

Mar 2, 2024
I also complained and got tracking info the next day. Also I see they are listed on Amazon again with 1 to 2 months typical shipping.

cloudhax

Feb 29, 2024
FYI, since i had put the 120mm usb fan under the machine (in the form of a laptop cooler pad), this gave me except the low temps in my 3 NVME's, lower temps in the cpu/gpu also (i have an RX6400 in the machine).

I suppose even if the 2 departments top & bottom have the motherboard to block the air to flow between them, the fun underneath the box lowers the motherboard temperature and that makes the above area and the CPU/GPU temps lower.

Imo the next minisforum machine that will be like this, needs at least 5cm higher casing or more.. with that it could had a 120 or 80mm fan at the bottom and higher size at the top for better cooling.
I dont think anyone will mind a higher box right?
I would prefer a taller chassis with better airflow but keep it low profile enough so it can still fit on a 2U shelf or rackmount frameScreenshot 2024-04-03 at 8.43.39 AM.png

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
I would prefer a taller chassis with better airflow but keep it low profile enough so it can still fit on a 2U shelf or rackmount frameView attachment 35806
Well that is inspiring!

Hmmmmmmmmm

I might have to design one that you use without the case... hmmmmmmm ...ohh and with a tray for the power brick...
A single - double - quad... HMMMMMM!!!!!

If I do - I'll trade the 3d files for smiles and back slaps.

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington