Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

REDGTA

Feb 2, 2022
Has anyone successfully installed Windows Server 2022 on the MS-01. Works fine except I can't get a driver to install for the i226-V NIC. Tried the drivers from the Minisforum site and the Intel NIC driver pack but no luck. The X710 and the I226-LM seem to work just fine.

1712225580878.png

REDGTA

Feb 2, 2022
for USB Controller you need the Thunderbolt Driver such Intel Thunderbolt Driver.
Thank you, that is the USB issue solved.

There must be a way to modify the driver .inf file to get the Win10 i226-v driver installed in Win Server 2022. I'm wading through the file now trying to figure it out.

Oh, so after 1 month wait my MS-01 arrive yesterday. I'm enjoying it so far. I've ordered some more memory which hopefully will arrive tomorrow if the Gods of the Amazon are smiling on me.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
The i226v not working is typical Intel. They prevent client NIC drivers from running on server OSs.

There'll be a ton of internet guides for Intel client NICs on Windows Server - I remember following one to get windows server onto my NUC.

As well as the inf file I think I needed to temporarily disable driver signing.

Reactions: REDGTA

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
So I did manage to remove the back plate. What was not obvious to me was that there actually wasn't a way to do it without any damage at all. Not realizing that, I thought there must be an easier way, and basically almost tore down the whole thing looking for a way. I removed the CPU heat sink too though I only had old thermal paste to replace it with so I'll have to redo it with new paste again.

Long story short there are plastic rivets holding the plastic backplate to the metal backplate. It is NOT enough to simply undo the plastic clips. In the end I'm not sure what exactly I did but suddenly the back plate came loose and I realized the rivets had ripped out. So I don't think there's a way to remove the back plate without losing warranty. All the clips are still intact though.

So, I can confirm that the Dell HBA355e works with the MS-01, with the above caveat. The screws for the PCIe bracket are under the card, so it's not possible to to install the bracket and the card separately. Nonetheless the MS-01 booted without any issues and PERCCLI sees the card. It is running at about 70-72c without anything attached. If it goes any higher in use I might install a fan.
I find myself in similar situation and want to check what you exactly mean by plastic rivets and and plastic clip. Are there two different retention mechanism?

shmokey629

Jan 21, 2024
I find myself in similar situation and want to check what you exactly mean by plastic rivets and and plastic clip. Are there two different retention mechanism?
Just look at the back plate from the inside. There are black "dots" going through the metal everywhere. They are what I call rivets. The plastic part is riveted to the metal part using those. You can't separate them without damage. And I did not see a reasonable way to remove the whole back plate with the metal. Anyway it still holds with just the clips, but the fit is not as tight as it once was.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Just look at the back plate from the inside. There are black "dots" going through the metal everywhere. They are what I call rivets. The plastic part is riveted to the metal part using those. You can't separate them without damage. And I did not see a reasonable way to remove the whole back plate with the metal. Anyway it still holds with just the clips, but the fit is not as tight as it once was.
I see what you mean now, thanks for confirming that.

Sounds like it was designed that way to offer structural rigidity, making it not so tinkering friendly in process by plastic welding those rivets.

STH_newuser

Apr 6, 2024
Hi, has anyone tried using RTX 4000 SFF 20G Ada on the new MS-01 mini PC?
A YouTube review seems to suggest it's compatible without providing a demo:

youtube.com/watch?v=eTTMZotwqRA

It's single-slot SFF and draws max 140W power.

I found another post in the forum asked about RTX A4000.
Thanks

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Hi, has anyone tried using RTX 4000 SFF 20G Ada on the new MS-01 mini PC?
A YouTube review seems to suggest it's compatible without providing a demo:

youtube.com/watch?v=eTTMZotwqRA

It's single-slot SFF and draws max 140W power.

I found another post in the forum asked about RTX A4000.
Thanks
I think 140W, it is going to be a stretch even if you use more beefier power supply than 180W the machine came with it.

I very much doubt on-board voltage regulator on such tiny form factor was designed to handle >75W that PCIe slot can provide, unless you plan on supplying addition power externally.

Reactions: NerdAshes

STH_newuser

Apr 6, 2024
Last edited:

__m

Apr 6, 2024
Yes I have a thunderbolt question ... Can I connect a decent Thunderbolt Dock, like the well known Caldigit TS3 Plus TS3 Plus | Thunderbolt 3 Dock – CalDigit and have everything work?! Can somebody try and report back please :) I am this close to ordering, more than just a Thunderbolt display compat would push me over the edge!

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
Yes I have a thunderbolt question ... Can I connect a decent Thunderbolt Dock, like the well known Caldigit TS3 Plus TS3 Plus | Thunderbolt 3 Dock – CalDigit and have everything work?! Can somebody try and report back please :) I am this close to ordering, more than just a Thunderbolt display compat would push me over the edge!
Yes, it works on USB4 hosts. If in doubt email your CalDigit support team for confirmation on your configuration.

Arisian

Apr 8, 2024
I've just had 2 units delivered a13900h and 12900h.

2 issues - the 13900 had 2 disk crashes resulting in being unable to access windows repair. I replaced the Kingston NMVE and reloaded with no issues since.

The second is BOTH units, running Windows 11, refuse to play any online videos, no youtube, Vimeo etc. I've spent a couple of days trying everything I could think of to get this sorted but nothing works. The video splashcreen will load and you can see the video loads up it's first few chunks but when pressing play you only ever get the the waiting circle. Have tested different browsers and the same on all. Anyone got any ideas?

Have ordered the Decklink 8K mini low profile and will report back if it works. A Duo2 Decklink in an OWC PCIE enclosure does work over thunderbolt.