Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
The paste on my units seemed fine, but I finally had a chance to install PTM7950. Not noticing a big change in temps during a stress test, but geekbench 6 and passmark both had improved single and multicore performance. Multicore was about 10% better, but single core was improved by 25%, and this was repeatable on 3 systems.
Interesting! I've not stressed anything since the swap. I figured the temps would show regardless. The temps across 3 systems, trade places through out the day. Sometimes the re-pasted PC is hotter than the other two.

That Honeywell PTM7950 thermal pad, seems rad. I might have to get some and try it out on one of the other two MS-01s.

sandain

Jan 25, 2024
Hi everyone. I‘m wondering if anyone here has experience with or knowledge about running the i5-12600H processor with 96GB of Crucial RAM (model CT48G56C46S5). My main concern is whether the i5-12600H can fully utilize all 96GB of RAM without any issues.
According to Intel, the i5-12600H only supports 64GB of RAM.

sandain

Jan 25, 2024
I don't see this posted elsewhere. The maximum height of a U.2 drive is 7mm, not the common 15mm.

Hello there,

It's great to hear from you and I hope you're doing well today! I will be happy to assist you!

This product requires a 7mm driver
Thanks & Regards
The MINISFORUM TEAM

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
So anyone had EMI issue with their MS-01?
I’ve installed 10G NIC (Broadcom BCM57810s) because internal 10G NIC, in my case, when use closets dryer will drop links (tested both with DAC and AOC cables).
Anyone else with this particular issue?
If you have one, put a metal plate between the dryer and your MS-01.

The EM field of the dryer motor is causing the RF.

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
This was exactly it. The ram was fine, but the strangely long boot time combined with the button being compressed & shutting down it was a strange.

I ran it with the case off and hit del a few times and just left it. Took the dog for a short walk and when I got back it was on the bios screen.

My Minis Forum UM690 has a long boot time if it has been unplugged for a long time or if there is a peripheral change. The now gone MF discussion board said this was normal as the BIOS assumes there is a config change under these conditions and trains the buses. It does fool you as it takes a long time for the pre-boot logo to appear.

Reactions: ms264556

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
Rejoice! I finally see a ship date for 2 of my 3 units. Slow boat from Hong Kong. Probably will take a month.
Depends if you are in the US or the EU.

The Panama Canal is suffering from low water and it is causing delays of a week to 2 weeks. Some freight is being offloaded and shipped by rail over the mountains and reloaded for a EU bound ship.

Due to all the military activity in the Red Sea, some ships are going the African Cape route to the EU to avoid Suez.

Weird time for global logistics.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
Yes, I'm aware. Was just surprised they found 2 out of thin air to ship to me. Better not be used or returned items.

here2read

Feb 20, 2021
I searched this thread and Amazon without success. Perhaps I am not using the right search terms.
is there a PCIE 4.0 card supporting dual m.2 ssds that will work in ms-01.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
I searched this thread and Amazon without success. Perhaps I am not using the right search terms.
Most inexpensive cards out there are based on ASMedia PCI switch and happen to be Gen3 because they are cheap. You might be able to find Broadcom based Gen4 PCI switch card (think I ran across one recently), they are super expensive, like 400 bucks and not to mention power hungry too.

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
Most inexpensive cards out there are based on ASMedia PCI switch and happen to be Gen3 because they are cheap. You might be able to find Broadcom based Gen4 PCI switch card (think I ran across one recently), they are super expensive, like 400 bucks and not to mention power hungry too.
Also, the PCIe 4 on this PC is at x8 lanes, not x16 lanes. That is like having a PCIe 3 x16 slot.

minisfckr-01

Mar 11, 2024
They remove bad reviews from their homepage, the EU homepage at least.
I have made a bad review there, because of the long shipping times and constant delays.
Now ALL non 5 star reviews are gone!

LoL!

Scroll down and take a look for yourself:
MS-01 Work Station

View attachment 35665
I can confirm this! I saw the bad reviews and they are all gone now. Even when sorting the old ones first, the don't appear anymore.

anewsome

Mar 15, 2024
I ordered one on Jan 21, and it arrived today (US), a day earlier than DHL tracking estimate. RAM of course arrives tomorrow lol .
Lucky you. I also ordered 5x MS-01 on Jan 21. Still waiting. Never thought I'd get to this point, but I'm considering getting a refund. The whole reason for getting the 5x MS-01 was to replace a rack of 2U xeons that work fine, but are too loud, hot and power hungry for home lab use. I'm now thinking about just making the rack cooler and quieter, then just deal with the high power utilization.

cloudhax

Feb 29, 2024
Lucky you. I also ordered 5x MS-01 on Jan 21. Still waiting. Never thought I'd get to this point, but I'm considering getting a refund. The whole reason for getting the 5x MS-01 was to replace a rack of 2U xeons that work fine, but are too loud, hot and power hungry for home lab use. I'm now thinking about just making the rack cooler and quieter, then just deal with the high power utilization.
having replaced a rack of 1U xeons with a bunch of mini pcs including some MS-01's I'm pretty glad to be done with the big heavy loud hot old machines

anewsome

Mar 15, 2024
having replaced a rack of 1U xeons with a bunch of mini pcs including some MS-01's I'm pretty glad to be done with the big heavy loud hot old machines
That's exactly what I'm weighing right now. The noise can be mitigated just by moving the rack to another room, but I'd have to knock some holes in the wall and run cabling to another location. In my case, the room would be on a different floor and the noise wouldn't bother me as much. I could also leave the rack where it is, and build a cooling+sound solution around it. Also, not ideal - and time consuming to boot. The other problem is, these old servers don't have any 10g networking or NVME, both of which I've decided I really need. Running a Proxmox/Ceph cluster on consumer class SATA SSD and 1Gb nics is really a bad idea.

I'll give Minisforum til mid next week. If I don't get a shipment confirmation, I'll just cancel the order and go a different direction.