Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
Anyone in USA pre-order before or on Jan 30th got their shipment? Minisforum is telling me my Jan 30th pre-order now won't ship until end of April. WTF!! They told me mid or late March. Now push to late April. What kind of scam is this? I paid over $2200 for 3X 12900H kits with nothing to show and waiting for 3+ months is not acceptable. Meanwhile people are getting 2 days shipping on Amazon. This is not the way to treat your customer Minisforum! You lost my business and I will be requesting cancellation and full refund. @JaxJiang
See the post about a power supply sourcing issue at Minis Forum.

Reactions: jdpdata

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
I don't think Minis Forum is as well capitalized as Samsung in this case. Samsung can absorb the cost, I am sure Minis Forum can't.
I get that. They're using pre-orders to fund their factory production. Meanwhile they shipped a bunch of units to Amazon during their CNY break so Amazon can do fulfillment for them. Pre-orders should have been first priority.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
See the post about a power supply sourcing issue at Minis Forum.
That's not what they told me. They simply said they're out of stock. Why not tell me the truth?

>>>>

It's great to hear from you and I hope you're doing well today! I will be happy to assist you!

We are very sorry to keep you waiting. Regarding the item you ordered, we are very sorry that we are currently out of stock.

We would like to inform you that the latest batch of products is expected to arrive at our warehouse around the end of April.

As soon as the products arrive, we will arrange for them to be dispatched to you. In the meantime, if you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

We take your needs very seriously and will do our best to ensure that you receive the products you need as soon as possible.

Thank you again for your understanding and support. We look forward to resolving your issue as soon as possible and providing you with satisfactory service. Have a great day!

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
As for Minis Forum and shipping product, I don't work for them or represent them.....
I get that. They're using pre-orders to fund their factory production. Meanwhile they shipped a bunch of units to Amazon during their CNY break so Amazon can do fulfillment for them. Pre-orders should have been first priority.
Pre-order fullfillment requires a Minis Forum employee to actually do the work, not possible when they are all off work. As I noted earlier, I suspect they dumped inventory into the EU channel so they could get "some" fulfillment during their time off. Yes, its a pisser since you in a sense have funded their production run and get deferred on delivery.

I have been watching Minis Forum in the channel with the MS-01 and the BD790i and I think 2 things are in play.

Just my observation, but I think the demand for the MS-01 exceeded what they expected for their first production run. Now they are spooling up for the second one (post holiday) and are having some QA issues (as noted earlier)

As for the BD series ITX boards, the AR series and BD770 boards are in the channel en masse and can be acquired pretty quickly, but the BD790 seems to be dragging its feet. My opinion is the exact opposite of the MS-01, they don't have enough orders in queue to get the run started (at that selling price). A recent rash of review boards suddenly appeared in many of the 2nd and 3rd tier gamer review websites, which says they are trying to drum up more interest in the board that can translate to sales.

In disclosure, I have several Minis Forum mini-PC's and have a BD790i ITX board on order. When I ordered I was notified that fulfillment wouldn't take place until "late March". When I was an early bird for one of their Venus mini-PC's I was quoted at least 6 weeks and it showed up in 2 weeks from their warehouse in Texas.

To get a certain level of pricing, Minis Forum has to forecast how many they should make at that price so they can still turn a profit. I suspect the BD790i hasn't reached it price nexus relative to its order count. If they have to sell 10,000 minimum production run at $519 to make money, but only have orders for 5690 total, they are going to delay the fab run until they get more order in hand, otherwise they will have to raise the price.

spuwho

Jan 10, 2024
That's not what they told me. They simply said they're out of stock. Why not tell me the truth?

>>>>

It's great to hear from you and I hope you're doing well today! I will be happy to assist you!

We are very sorry to keep you waiting. Regarding the item you ordered, we are very sorry that we are currently out of stock.

We would like to inform you that the latest batch of products is expected to arrive at our warehouse around the end of April.

As soon as the products arrive, we will arrange for them to be dispatched to you. In the meantime, if you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

We take your needs very seriously and will do our best to ensure that you receive the products you need as soon as possible.

Thank you again for your understanding and support. We look forward to resolving your issue as soon as possible and providing you with satisfactory service. Have a great day!
Probably because the response came from a fulfillment rep who has no knowledge of what is happening back at the factory. You asked about a SKU, the person looked it up and it showed out of stock with the next planned ship date.

I think the PSU issue came from either the Discord or a non-fulfillment employee.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
Fascinating insight! I think you may be right. No logical reason they keep pushing my order further other than not enough sales. Shitty to make me wait this long. They're offering a discount code if I wait longer. I asked how much discount, no responses yet. Better be a huge discount or else not worth it.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
So they sent me discount code for $10. Lol that's insulting. These people are crazy. I demanded refund ASAP.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
This is neat... basically he bought an A310 and an A380 and he did put the heatsink of the A310 to the A380.
Someone can do that but what is the point if it almost the same speed with an RX6400?

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
Anyone in USA pre-order before or on Jan 30th got their shipment? Minisforum is telling me my Jan 30th pre-order now won't ship until end of April. WTF!! They told me mid or late March. Now push to late April. What kind of scam is this? I paid over $2200 for 3X 12900H kits with nothing to show and waiting for 3+ months is not acceptable. Meanwhile people are getting 2 days shipping on Amazon. This is not the way to treat your customer Minisforum! You lost my business and I will be requesting cancellation and full refund. @JaxJiang
It's China - have you seen how they sell apartments/homes over there? Pay up front and hope and pray they actually build let alone finish your property.
Now I have to believe MF will ship the product. I'm sure demand has outstripped mfg capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rile and jdpdata

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
Reactions: minisfckr-01

devcjg

Mar 27, 2024
Looks like I received a DOA MS-01. :(

I've seen some similar issues, won't boot into BIOS. Tried two sets of Crucial DDR5 SODIMM 5200. Tried all four chips individually in each slot as well. Womp womp.

Power button also seems stuck, or at the very lease very little travel. Even with shell off though, no boot screen even with del spam.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
So now Minisforum is offering me $30 refund and somehow magically found 2 units that they promise to ship ASAP. The third unit I still have to wait until end of April. I waited this long already, so I'll give them another week to see if I get tracking info for those 2 units. If I don't see anything I'll file dispute with my CC for charge-back. Sigh, the waiting saga continues...With each passing days, I'm getting less and less interested in this thing. And seeing issues like dude above with DOA doesn't give me any confidence at all.

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
So now Minisforum is offering me $30 refund and somehow magically found 2 units that they promise to ship ASAP. The third unit I still have to wait until end of April. I waited this long already, so I'll give them another week to see if I get tracking info for those 2 units. If I don't see anything I'll file dispute with my CC for charge-back. Sigh, the waiting saga continues...With each passing days, I'm getting less and less interested in this thing. And seeing issues like dude above with DOA doesn't give me any confidence at all.
You bought three units - what is the purpose for all three?

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Looks like I received a DOA MS-01. :(

I've seen some similar issues, won't boot into BIOS. Tried two sets of Crucial DDR5 SODIMM 5200. Tried all four chips individually in each slot as well. Womp womp.

Power button also seems stuck, or at the very lease very little travel. Even with shell off though, no boot screen even with del spam.
Ouch that sucks. Is the CPU fan spinning at all? I suggest removing the CMOS battery for a good while to reset the BIOS and see if it helps.

With so many delayed deliveries I get the impression demand exceeded the supply and Chinese new year vacation didn't help with the whole situation.

Reminds me of PS5 launch, but on much compressed timeline. Give it 6 month or year tops, there will be glut of supply. Clearly MS01 is feature rich enough that others will soon join the fray with much better and improved offerings.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
So I decided to take the plunge and ordered this card, should arrive this weekend for me to experiment.

Good news is that MS01 has room to accommodate this card but not enough clearance to tilt and slide card into the PCI slot.

Question for community -- how do you go about removing the side metal rails to make room or can anybody think of better way of doing this?

EDIT: And yeah, that full length PCI bracket will be replaced with low-profile one.

Screenshot 2023-11-01 132445.png

Last edited:

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
I think the trick is to detach the bracket. Then you can separately slide the bracket in, and maneuver the card into the slot, before screwing the bracket back on.
Yeah, that is what I'm thinking but then again my last attempt to remove the exhaust side plastic cover was a disaster.

I could barely keep all the retention clip depressed at once to pull out the cover out and last thing I want is broken clips.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Yeah, that is what I'm thinking but then again my last attempt to remove the exhaust side plastic cover was a disaster.

I could barely keep all the retention clip depressed at once to pull out the cover out and last thing I want is broken clips.
The card's bracket is retained well by the MS-01, even when detached from the card. So long as the screws are on the facing-up side of the card it'll be a doddle.

And yes, that retention clip is terrible. Every time I pull it out I worry I'm going to slip and gouge the motherboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenAvacado