HGST He8 Ultrastar 8TB HUH728080AL5200 $82

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Chia mania is over. I see 14tb is selling for 380 on bit deals now. It will probably go lower in a week once they realize no one is buying anymore

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
IMHO you just need to wait a couple more months until the CCP has cracked down better on bitcoin or chia. 2/3 of worldwide bitcoin is mined in China. CCP wants to stop capital flight over these crypto coins. I think "slightly used" GPUs and HDD/SSDs will soon enter the market via Shenzhen and other locations, driving down prices. BTC liquidation is in full swing, without Musk even tweeting something.

Reactions: Bert and mimino

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
IMHO you just need to wait a couple more months until the CCP has cracked down better on bitcoin or chia. 2/3 of worldwide bitcoin is mined in China. CCP wants to stop capital flight over these crypto coins. I think "slightly used" GPUs and HDD/SSDs will soon enter the market via Shenzhen and other locations, driving down prices. BTC liquidation is in full swing, without Musk even tweeting something.
Well, I was originally bullish on Chia because unlike bitcoin mining, chia mining cannot be detected easily.

IMHO, primary driver of crypto is chinese capital controls so if chinese miners see the same oppurtunity as I do, chia may go up again until eth proof of stake comes in.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I think we can all just need these crypto mania to go away so we can get back to the day of cheap or correctly priced and available components

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Chia mania is over. I see 14tb is selling for 380 on bit deals now. It will probably go lower in a week once they realize no one is buying anymore
hmm - you really think so?

Refurb 16TB SAS EXOS 16 drives were sub 300 USD at the beginning of January - quick bay search says about twice that for seller refurb'ed - mine were seagate refurb'ed too. That's a lot less than your 14TB @ 380.00

HGST 4200/4201/5200 8TB used/refurbed drives are still on the bay for ~180-200 USD.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
hmm - you really think so?

Refurb 16TB SAS EXOS 16 drives were sub 300 USD at the beginning of January - quick bay search says about twice that for seller refurb'ed - mine were seagate refurb'ed too. That's a lot less than your 14TB @ 380.00

HGST 4200/4201/5200 8TB used/refurbed drives are still on the bay for ~180-200 USD.
Give them a few weeks to realize the reality.

Reactions: wildpig1234

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I also have a hunch the prices will start dropping quickly soon. Put a basic calculation into the chiacalculator.com on 'advanced' mode but with default inputs, and buying a drive at $20/TB would recover half it's price in 6 months, with declining earnings after that. I think eventually the mining worth of a terabyte will drop down to match the price of electricity of keeping a terabyte drive spinning.

Well, I was originally bullish on Chia because unlike bitcoin mining, chia mining cannot be detected easily.

IMHO, primary driver of crypto is chinese capital controls so if chinese miners see the same oppurtunity as I do, chia may go up again until eth proof of stake comes in.
so the idea is that if China isn't allowed to mine/speculate on bitcoin, then chia might be used as an evasion? interesting.

Personally, as the proud owner of two chiacoin, my idea scenario would be if china was prevented from mining, but still allowed to buy and speculate and drive up the price :)