FreeNAS Guide Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cole

Jul 29, 2015
Ha! Well the DVD drives are disconnected. I see them as a free blanking panel to affix slanted labels to.

Yea I need to pull them out!
Yeah, not gonna lie, the slanted labels made my eye tick a little. Damn OCD (or CDO?).

Bronek

Jun 23, 2015
Any chance for FreeNAS installation guide on new Netgear ReadyNAS (one with Xeon D and ECC memory), or would such attempt be futile waste of time?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Any chance for FreeNAS installation guide on new Netgear ReadyNAS (one with Xeon D and ECC memory), or would such attempt be futile waste of time?
Depends a great deal on how difficult Netgear make it to install/boot from another OS and how compatible the gizzards are with FreeNAS/BSD. I know I successfully got linux running mostly nicely old my old (x86/atom) QNAP.

...but like I eventually realised, what's the point? Most of these commercial NAS units come with fairly anaemic CPUs and are especially skimpy on RAM. The business-class devices such as the xeon/ECC jobs you refer to typically cost substantially more than the sum of their parts - you're paying for a) ease of administration with their OS and b) hardware support, neither of which you'll get if you roll your own FreeNAS install.

Better IMHO to build your own from scratch. In the UK at the moment the ReadyNAS 516 (dual core 3.3GHz CPU, 4GB RAM and 6x6TB WD reds) is doing on amazon for about £2500. Back-of-a-fag-packet says that the costs of the discs probably make up about half of that cost, for the same price even buying stuff brand new at retail you could build something far superior if you only intend to put FreeNAS on it.

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You are paying for the Netgear software so that seems like an expensive way to get a FreeNAS machine.

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I did the same thing on mine, ripped off plastic on handles and gutted DVD drive and plopped in blanking panel, looks a bit sleeker/sexier...but that's probably just the OCD-ness in us @PigLover heh
@whitey / @PigLover is this the correct part for blanking piece or are you referring to a different one - MCP-290-00036-0B

Noticed a slight variation in listings (same part#) some say 2.5 adapter. Just wanted to confirm before ordering

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bronek

Jun 23, 2015
...but like I eventually realised, what's the point? Most of these commercial NAS units come with fairly anaemic CPUs and are especially skimpy on RAM. The business-class devices such as the xeon/ECC jobs you refer to typically cost substantially more than the sum of their parts - you're paying for a) ease of administration with their OS and b) hardware support, neither of which you'll get if you roll your own FreeNAS install.

Better IMHO to build your own from scratch. In the UK at the moment the ReadyNAS 516 (dual core 3.3GHz CPU, 4GB RAM and 6x6TB WD reds) is doing on amazon for about £2500. Back-of-a-fag-packet says that the costs of the discs probably make up about half of that cost, for the same price even buying stuff brand new at retail you could build something far superior if you only intend to put FreeNAS on it.
The price for diskless ReadyNAS 626X is ~£1600 with VAT. Only needs memory upgrade and disks to serve as a proper NAS, that's why the question.

EDIT: I do realize ReadyNAS software is "proper NAS" already, but I cannot do "zfs send" to it :( , and the price is actually rather attractive given the format factor and disk capacity, i.e. also "proper NAS" in this respect.

Last edited:

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
The price for diskless ReadyNAS 626X is ~£1600 with VAT. Only needs memory upgrade and disks to serve as a proper NAS, that's why the question.
I found a bigger fag packet and came up with this shopping list:
U-NAS NSC 800 case = £250
300W Seasonic FlexATX PSU = £55
2x120GB S3500 @85ea = £170
Supermicro X10SDV-6C-TLN4F = £650
2x16GB DDR4-2400 = £190
M1015 IT reflash = £120

That gets you 8x3.5" how-swap bays as opposed to 6 (in a similarly sized desktoppy format), six cores instead of four (else save more money sticking to a 4C model), two SSD for your OS (and/or maybe some IO cache) and four times the amount of RAM for well under £1500 (all full retail incl. VAT - much of this stuff is available cheaper if you're prepared to risk ebay et al)... only thing it doesn't have is a) the eSATA ports for expanding into JBOD chassis and b) the netgear OS. Personally I'd go with the BYO option since I know I'm never going to need to fight a locked-down bootloader or poorly supported hardware or any other crud like that.

Prices for the rackmount kit like the ReadyNAS 3312 are even sillier...

Reactions: Bronek