Experience with Thermals: 1U 10-16x 3,5 inch drives (drawer-style) server chassis

Discussion in 'Chassis and Enclosures' started by DanAnd, Jul 1, 2019.

1. DanAnd

DanAnd Member

Hi,

I am currently planning several storage-intensive servers and stumbled over these 1U servers with 3,5 drives stacked in a 3x4 to 4x4 matrix inside the chassis.

I found several manufactures for that which are all quite similar:
    [​IMG]

As I can see, Supermicro, Asrock Rack, ASUS and Tyan are offering such 1U servers. The CPUs are ranging from small Xeon-D to 2nd Gen Scalable Xeons and AMD Epyc CPUs and Memory up to 1TB is possible.

When using these Servers, I am able to power down them, if drives are going bad. So even hot-swap is not required.

My main concern is the cooling and thermal issues of such servers! This kind of chassis are already on the market for several years, so I hope someone has some experiences with them.

Did anybody use similar chassis and can report the (thermal) experience with them?

Thanks alot :)

Daniel

2. DanAnd

DanAnd Member

Looks like nobody does have used them before ... What about 2U with 24x 3,5 inch drives ?

3. cesmith9999

cesmith9999 Well-Known Member

I have used the hpe apollo 4200 in that configuration. It works fine. Deep chassis though

Chris

DanAnd likes this.
  4. BlueFox

BlueFox Active Member

At my previous employer, we had many 2U HPE servers like that. No issues with heat whatsoever. We had very high static pressure on the cold aisles, which certainly helped.