Experience with Thermals: 1U 10-16x 3,5 inch drives (drawer-style) server chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DanAnd

Jul 25, 2016
Dortmund, Germany
www.danand.de
Hi,

I am currently planning several storage-intensive servers and stumbled over these 1U servers with 3,5 drives stacked in a 3x4 to 4x4 matrix inside the chassis.

I found several manufactures for that which are all quite similar:

As I can see, Supermicro, Asrock Rack, ASUS and Tyan are offering such 1U servers. The CPUs are ranging from small Xeon-D to 2nd Gen Scalable Xeons and AMD Epyc CPUs and Memory up to 1TB is possible.

When using these Servers, I am able to power down them, if drives are going bad. So even hot-swap is not required.

My main concern is the cooling and thermal issues of such servers! This kind of chassis are already on the market for several years, so I hope someone has some experiences with them.

Did anybody use similar chassis and can report the (thermal) experience with them?

Thanks alot :)

Daniel

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I have used the hpe apollo 4200 in that configuration. It works fine. Deep chassis though

Chris

Reactions: DanAnd

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Looks like nobody does have used them before ... What about 2U with 24x 3,5 inch drives ?
At my previous employer, we had many 2U HPE servers like that. No issues with heat whatsoever. We had very high static pressure on the cold aisles, which certainly helped.