CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maksf

Apr 11, 2024
Hi!
Could you share this PDF translated to english again? I just received my x86-P5 but it lacks information. Your link expired. Thanks in advance!
grtz
Mark
Hello Mark, I have the same model x86-p5 v2 (CW-ALDNTB-1C2L). Can you "send" the pdf manual? I contacted a few vendors but no one sent me anything, not even the chinese version.
Thanks in advance.
maks

Last edited:

maksf

Apr 11, 2024
As I suspected moving the outer jumper from position 2-3 to position 1-2 disables the auto-power-on when the power cord is plugged in. This is exactly what I was looking for, but the online product detail page pictures identified it "incoming call self starting jump cap".

By the way, my product version is CW-X86-P5-V3-N305, not V2. Cheers!

JustinHoMi

Apr 14, 2024
Two questions before I get a Topton N100:

Is OpnSense stable on baremetal? I saw some early discussion that people were having issues and having to run it on proxmox.

Does the Topton N100 support turning back on after a power fail?

maksf

Apr 11, 2024

Is OpnSense stable on baremetal? I saw some early discussion that people were having issues and having to run it on proxmox.

If you are referring to the x86-p5 version (Topton X86 P5 Super Mini Router 12th Gen Intel N100 DDR5), I recently bought the latest model CW-X86-P5-V3-N305 on the kingnovy amazon shop. BTW I believe they are all manufactured by ChangWang hence the CW, even in the bios id prefix, cwwk is the international shop.

My unit came with the CW-ALDNTB-1C2L AMI bios rom v.5.27 and there is an option (active by default in my case) in the Advance BIOS tab:

Advanced > IT8613 Super IO Configuration (not sure why they put the entry in here)
Restore AC Power Loss By IO [Power On|Power Off]

1713130887139.png

There is also a jumper cap that makes the unit to automatically power-on when the power cord is plugged-in. I disabled that as I use the unit as a media center. For the same reason I cannot answer your other - 1st - question.

I run mx-linux 23.2 with the xanmod-lts kernel on it. Even if that kernel is on the powersaving side, the cpus temperature rises quite quickly to 50~65°C, so I use the (in my case included) usb fan to keep it around 25~40°C. Maybe the aluminum case could be enough for the N100. I own another couple of consumer N100 mini-pcs and I never heard any cpu fan even while watching video streams.

If you are buying this exact model, I would advise you to buy the extra 4xUSB2.0 upgraded model. I ordered the 4xUSB panel two days ago, but of course the total cost is higher when bought separately.

Cheers!

Last edited:

inetjnky

Mar 29, 2024

recommend staying away from topton. Buy from cwwk instead.

SMN

Dec 12, 2023
Wanted to give an update on this problem. I contacted the vendor and got a simple suggestion to remove the bios battery and put it back in. So simple mans cmos reset I would say.

My expectation was not that high since I already reset the bios with default values in software, but I got happily surprised. The CMOS reset fixed the weird power consumption spikes I had before and the system seems very stable now after few weeks of running with a basic Ubuntu server and later a Proxmox installation.

So If anybody experiences weird power spikes every few minutes and instability in continuous 24/7 operation, give the CMOS clear by battery removal a try.

Hey, just wanted to post my experiences with a N100 from Topton.

I bought mine as a second proxmox node. The unit does everything i want: Virtual opnSense, iGPU passthough for jellyfin HW encoding and running other small VMs.
BUT the unit keeps crashing after ~ 5 - 8 Days. This is a big problem as a router. Even though i am using proxmox HA to reboot the VMs on the other node. Does anyone else experience frequent crashes with this device?

I tried multiple differend SSD configurations so far. Also temps are not an issue, since i ran the case half open with a fan directed onto it, so ssd and CPU temps were always in check.

maksf

Apr 11, 2024
Brands

CWWK - original maker, spotty customer support , but ships fast
Hunsn - rebrand of CWWK but with good customer support on AMZN. Most expensive.
Topton - rebrand of CWWK, can be slow to ship, minimal support. Cuts corner with included accessories/power-adapter etc. Cheapest option.
There is also another brand selling ChangWang micro-pcs named KingNovy (present on amazon.it and aliexpress). In my case I coud buy a product with the same features for 80 EUR less than Hunsn and if you consider the VAT added at customs about the same cost difference from the price on cwwk. The kingnovy shipment is quite slow (~1month) and I found quicker support responses by contacting them using the aliexpress messaging system compare to amazon's one.

There was no manual/warranty-card in the package, but the usb fan+fan-cover were included (as listed on the amazon product page). The product has had no problems so far (and hope it stays that way). The power adapter is different than the one in the cwwk website. Mine has a more rectangular base, more like a notebook power-adapter. So far all good. For entertainment home usage like myself I would go again with the cheapest solution, for work/server or sensitive home usage I would choose the best/fastest customer support and I would probably buy a backup unit.

JustinHoMi

Apr 14, 2024
Ah ok, if it’s just the cheap power supply, I’m fine with that. It’s not worth the extra $75 for the cwwk if that’s all it is. I have a good power supply here that will work anyways.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
There is also another brand selling ChangWang micro-pcs named KingNovy (present on amazon.it and aliexpress). In my case I coud buy a product with the same features for 80 EUR less than Hunsn and if you consider the VAT added at customs about the same cost difference from the price on cwwk. The kingnovy shipment is quite slow (~1month) and I found quicker support responses by contacting them using the aliexpress messaging system compare to amazon's one.

There was no manual/warranty-card in the package, but the usb fan+fan-cover were included (as listed on the amazon product page). The product has had no problems so far (and hope it stays that way). The power adapter is different than the one in the cwwk website. Mine has a more rectangular base, more like a notebook power-adapter. So far all good. For entertainment home usage like myself I would go again with the cheapest solution, for work/server or sensitive home usage I would choose the best/fastest customer support and I would probably buy a backup unit.
KingNovy, Topton and their countless shops on Aliexpress are the same seller. I already did order from KingNovy and Topton, and both time it was the same shit.
  • There is a Topton Logo in KingNovy Shops.
  • Costs and costs of shipping (if there are any) are more or less the same
  • Description is identical
  • Seller is using exactly the same wording in PM
  • Every shop on ali exists two times: in a KingNovy and in a Topton variant
  • Same shitty PSU and missing accessories
In short: don't buy at KingNovy or Topton
Sorry for the rant, but I had very bad experience with Topton/KingNovy, several times (in fact every time I ordered something there).

maksf

Apr 11, 2024
Sorry for the rant, but I had very bad experience with Topton/KingNovy, several times (in fact every time I ordered something there).
No problem at all. Sharing different experiences is very useful for everyone who needs advice before buying those products.

I can summarize my previous long comment with the following line:

<<I consciously took a risk to save some money and... I got lucky!>> :)

Cheers

PS
For the same reason I ordered the 4xUSB2.0 upgrade panel at kingnovy shop (spent 27 EUR shipping incl. and saved 10 EUR). The expected arrival date is May, 31 !!!! ...oh ... 2024 !!! Therefore, patience is a must!

Last edited:

Awesome Donkey

Apr 16, 2024
Greetings! I obtained a Topton x86-P5 N305 with 16GB of RAM and a 256GB NVMe SSD and thus far it's been fine. Recently I tried upgrading the RAM to 32GB (I got a Corsair Vengeance 32GB 4800Hz stick off Amazon) however this has caused the system to become unstable with BSODs and random crashes. I'm going to assume it's either the RAM is wrong or the frequency is too much or more than likely it's the cheap power brick that was included with the system.

My questions are...

1. Does the Meanwell PSU linked a few pages back for the N100 also work for the N305 box or does it need another type?

2. If it's potentially due to the RAM stick itself, I assume other brands like the Crucial 32GB stick linked a few pages back could work better? Or does this not really matter?

3. I took a look in the BIOS and couldn't find any option to adjust the RAM frequency to see if a slight RAM frequency downclock might stabilize it. I assume these boxes lack such a feature?

Not related to the RAM and PSU, but other questions I have about these and maybe upgrading/enhancing them further...

4. What's the best option for adding Wi-Fi 7 (and Bluetooth) to one of these boxes? I assume one can grab a M.2 Intel BE200 or something? Or would it not even be worth messing with if it already uses 2.5G ethernet?

5. If adding Wi-Fi via a BE200 (or whatever) what's the best way to handle the antennas? The N305 P5 box doesn't have any holes for Wi-Fi antennas or any holes really at all to route antennas outside. It'd be relatively close to a router (10 or so feet) so maybe it'd work fine without antennas attached?

6) What's the best type of fan to use on the top of one of these? Any good quality low noise 8010 USB fans that don't whining or dying quickly?

7) Any other worthwhile upgrades/enhancements that could be added?

Napalm

Sep 8, 2021
as tight as the box is and with the potential heat issues I'd strongly consider a stand alone wireless AP. Like a TP LInk device. But that's not knowing your installation case or how much space you are trying to cover.

the more space the more I would use a stand alone AP.

BlueLineSwinger

Mar 11, 2013
Hardkernel just announced the Odroid-H4 series:

H4: N97 CPU, 1 Intel I226-V 2.5 Gb NIC, PCIe3 x4 NVMe, eMMC option. US$99
H4+: Adds a 2nd NIC, 4 SATA3, dual BIOS. US$139
H4 Ultra: swaps out the N97 for a N305. US$220

Prices are for the board only. Everything else, even the PSU and case, is additional.

All are compatible with their 4 NIC expansion card (US$47, utilizes the NVMe port).

Anyone have any experience with the earlier H2 or H3 models as a router or other uses? Support looks pretty good, judging by their product page and wiki.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
People keep talking about the power adapters and how they should be replaced, but why? "They are shit" is not an answer that's going to cut it for me.
I have a two port N100 CWWK unit that's been running perfectly fine. I think I have had it for over two months. What's (supposedly) wrong with the power adapter it came with?

Napalm

Sep 8, 2021
electrically I could see where a cheaper power brick using cheap caps or voltage regulators would get hot with stress, from there it might well undervolt the board. If that happened it would cause stability issues.

I could also see where it might allow too much AC ripple though the line and causing board damage.

Do either of those things happen I don't know.