CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RSV

Apr 5, 2024
Good day, bought Topton bk-1264np-4l, need to do bios flash to make it cooler.
Where can i find ISO for BIOS flashing, link that Thys gave is not working anymore.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
If anyone is having issues with cwwk email address try on ali express messaging via cwwk store.

Bilange

Apr 6, 2024
CWWK.net order invoice email instructs to contact y@changwang.com for question but you'll get bounce back undeliverable notice. Same with support@cwwk.com

Their chat box on cwwk.net, if you're lucky, responds to you live. If not, it might take a few days via shopify-email. Notice they respond faster inquiring of new purchase, but much slower with issues of existing order.
Hey there! I created an account to add my grain of salt as well. This is not going well at all:

- A have an order placed since March 16 (a N305 motherboard + fan). That order has been stuck to "Order placed" status in the Shop app CWWK is suggesting to use to get shipping updates. I have bought directly from their website and not Aliexpress.
- On March 28, I replied to their automated "order received" e-mail I had when I placed an order, requesting for an update. This e-mail mentions, at the very bottom "If you have any questions, reply to this email or contact us at y@changwang.com", so I thought replying would be safe. No answer. To this day.
- On April 1st, I tried to write to their embedded Chat in their website. I have received this as a reply late on April 3 saying "Hello, the goods will be delivered within 3 days. Sorry for the bad experience." Notice the word is "delivered", this is ambiguous. I'm pretty sure they meant it will be only shipped, like out of their warehouse.
- Wikipedia says there was an Holiday on April 5 (Qingming Festival). This probably affects communication delays as well.

Edit: however, I had never received an undeliverable notice when I sent them an e-mail.
Edit 2024-04-08: I have received confirmation the item was shipped on their side on April 7.

Last edited:

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
My CWWK 2-port N100 has now stopped working all together. I have wasted 5-6 hours, tried two 3rd party power supplies and two different sticks of RAM trying to get it working. I know these devices have worked for others and my experience may be at least partially a one-off, but I won't be trying CWWK or Topton in the future. Support is non-existent, the RAM and PSU is clearly finicky for more than just me - it's too much for me to justify burning the cash again.

choas

Nov 4, 2023
My CWWK 2-port N100 has now stopped working all together. I have wasted 5-6 hours, tried two 3rd party power supplies and two different sticks of RAM trying to get it working. I know these devices have worked for others and my experience may be at least partially a one-off, but I won't be trying CWWK or Topton in the future. Support is non-existent, the RAM and PSU is clearly finicky for more than just me - it's too much for me to justify burning the cash again.
I'm sorry to hear that. That's quick isn't it? You shared your first experience recently.
I confirm that indeed Crucial CT32G48C40S5 does not work.
Tried Corsair CMSX32GX5M1A4800C40 works well in the CWWK X86 P5, proxmox memtest succeeds whereas for the Crucial memory it failed immediately.
Probably I tell you something you already know but you need to wait a bit after installing new memory. It's doing a training session first.

20240407_185826.jpg

choas

Nov 4, 2023
I am back with more news and this time, good news.

At least with CW-AL v2 but I am sure that works with the others. We can compile a module to get info with pmw.
Great work! I have a question: does anyone know what driver is needed for PWM fan support for the CWWK X86 P5?
When I try the modprobe it87, I get:

root@proxmox:~/it87-master/it87-master# modprobe -a it87
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'it87': No such device

cthulolz

Mar 17, 2015
I'm sorry to hear that. That's quick isn't it? You shared your first experience recently.
I confirm that indeed Crucial CT32G48C40S5 does not work.
Tried Corsair CMSX32GX5M1A4800C40 works well in the CWWK X86 P5, proxmox memtest succeeds whereas for the Crucial memory it failed immediately.
Probably I tell you something you already know but you need to wait a bit after installing new memory. It's doing a training session first.

View attachment 35867
It is quick. But as I said my unit has stopped responding all together. All I get is the blue power light, including with the stock PSU and the smaller previously working 8GB memory stick.

choas

Nov 4, 2023
It is quick. But as I said my unit has stopped responding all together. All I get is the blue power light, including with the stock PSU and the smaller previously working 8GB memory stick.
Yeah I know, just wanted to help and wished you were just impatient. ;)

Sep 10, 2015
Lol you should be fine but that is definitely way too much thermal paste.

You only need a thin layer. I get the technique of the blob in the middle and having the pressure spread it out, but it would be more effective if you just spread a thin layer across the die.

As for the shim, please take a look at my previous posts in this thread (few pages back). I include the shim size I used with some images. My thermals definitely improved.
After repasting with some Kryonaut temps are down 10C. Under load it hovers around 55-60C. Not sure if a shim would help further. Seems already pretty flush with existing copper heatsink. Noticed the heatsink fins were pretty toast hot. Measuring 50C with thermal gun. Previously it didn't feel this hot. Guess the new paste is transferring heat better?

However, I did try adding an internal 80x10mm fan I bought off AMZN. Noise isn't even audible which is nice. The fan fits inside the case but I still used the extra rubber o-rings to extend the cover 2mm for extra clearance. This dropped another 10C. Under load around 40-45C. Idles in the low 30s.

Usure of the quality of the PWN fan but if it dies at least the fanless operating temp is manageable.

Probably overkill but also added heatsink fins to the Crucial CT32G48C40S5 ram & 2TB P3 Plus NVME.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Stovar

Alec246

Apr 1, 2024
As I wait for my N100 CWWK NIC, I am making a list of components that is gonna be purchased for when the unit arrive. I kindly ask for some suggestions:

- RAM seems to be very picky with these PCs. Is there a reliable 16GB stick that has been confirmed to work by many users of these routers?
- Cheap and Reliable SSD to run as BareMetal Router, its not gonna have any NAS function

Later I will look for a top tier PSU, but for this i need to see the adapter dimensions when it arrives!

Thank you all

Sep 10, 2015
As I wait for my N100 CWWK NIC, I am making a list of components that is gonna be purchased for when the unit arrive. I kindly ask for some suggestions:

- RAM seems to be very picky with these PCs. Is there a reliable 16GB stick that has been confirmed to work by many users of these routers?
- Cheap and Reliable SSD to run as BareMetal Router, its not gonna have any NAS function

Later I will look for a top tier PSU, but for this i need to see the adapter dimensions when it arrives!

Thank you all
Search this thread for others with exact model you bought. Several different N100 versions from CWWK.

I have N305-6L (6port) model. Recall some had success with Kingston, but Crucial seems to be the general consensus
You'll probably want to replace the stock thermal compound for a nice 10C+ temp difference. They use cheap paste & excessive amounts. Some units might have larger gaps between the CPU & heatsink so a copper shim might be desired. You won't know what thickness needed until opened up.
CWWK included Dajing adapter are less efficient but been used by other minipc mfg for many years. Power adapter provided by Topton ( D-JFY i thnk) is even worse quality to cut costs. Some people report whine noise after a year. Others had issues with power spikes crashes or memtest failure. Guess they are hit or miss with quality control? They take 2.5mm x 5.5mm barrel plugs. For extra ease of mind & long term reliability I bought Meanwell as replacement.
Some extras that are probably overkill but doesn't hurt right? They were cheap.
  • 8010 PWM 12v internal fan (PUSOKEI) (CWWK contact support or Aliexpress also sell 8010 fans)
  • VESA wall mount bracket (CWWK contact support or Aliexpress)
  • Ram heatsink (Easycargo)
  • NVMe heatsink (IcePC)
Considering later fin mounted fan if summer temp are too high. My wall media enclosure is pretty cramped on space.
Side note: CWWK support via email address seems to be broken with undeliverable responses. Alternative is to use shopify chat system on cwwk.net. If live chat doesn't respond while you wait they will via shopify email. Another way is to contact via Aliexpress.

Last edited:

Alec246

Apr 1, 2024
Wow, you really knocked it out of the park with the info you provided! Seriously, the effort you put into answering my question was above and beyond. I'm thinking your response is so spot-on, it should be pinned so everyone can see it. Thank you so much

Sep 10, 2015
Does anyone have any links to buy those 3d printed bracket for fans?

No 3d printer
Look for local maker groups. Commission someone to print them locally, Etsy or reddit.com/r/3Dprintmything

However the cost for several commissioned prints can add up fast. I'm considering a Ender3 3d printer. Think they go on sale for 100 USD sometimes. Don't have the time yet to fiddle around the learning curve. If you do find someone making prints let me know too!

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
Look for local maker groups. Commission someone to print them locally, Etsy or reddit.com/r/3Dprintmything

However the cost for several commissioned prints can add up fast. I'm considering a Ender3 3d printer. Think they go on sale for 100 USD sometimes. Don't have the time yet to fiddle around the learning curve. If you do find someone making prints let me know too!
thanks good suggestions, yeah I was thinking there must be someone who can print and sell them but sure cost will add up.

For now I just use a normal 120mm fan bracket and stuck it on with blue tak, oddly enough its cool and holding my noctua just fine on top.

Napalm

Sep 8, 2021
could you not line up the hole in the fan scew for one of the fins on top so as to use the AL to hold the screw. you don't need much and the screw would bite the AL a little bit.

Then again some glue might be plenty too. Eitherway interesting. I guess my issue right now is the more I look at them and the pricing I can get an Ikoolcore in my hand cheaper - it seems to be built better and has a fan.

Put another way. Topton or ? device from ALI express - n100 4 port with 128 gb ssd and 8 gb of ram = 167
new thermal paste - 9
new nifty fan 30
my time to take it apart and do the re paste and ? - 40

246 or so . Yes I'm old enough in lift that I book my own time doing things and yes often it is still cheaper to DIY but I keep about 40 per hour in my labor rate.

Ikoolcore N95, 3 port i226, one realtek, with 128gb ssd and 8gb ram DDR5 259. made with an internal fan, and internal temp controls like a PC should be.

Seems like the better buy. I do however like that fan, didn't know they started making 5v fans like that.

Sep 10, 2015
thanks good suggestions, yeah I was thinking there must be someone who can print and sell them but sure cost will add up.

For now I just use a normal 120mm fan bracket and stuck it on with blue tak, oddly enough its cool and holding my noctua just fine on top.
Until I find a 3D printed bracket a zip tie could suffice to hold a 120mm fan. Paper clip or wirecoat hanger bent correctly could work too. One clip in each corner. The type-c variant fins has a L-shape crevice to hook on.

Put another way. Topton or ? device from ALI express - n100 4 port with 128 gb ssd and 8 gb of ram = 167
new thermal paste - 9
new nifty fan 30
my time to take it apart and do the re paste and ? - 40

246 or so . Yes I'm old enough in lift that I book my own time doing things and yes often it is still cheaper to DIY but I keep about 40 per hour in my labor rate.

Ikoolcore N95, 3 port i226, one realtek, with 128gb ssd and 8gb ram DDR5 259. made with an internal fan, and internal temp controls like a PC should be.

Seems like the better buy. I do however like that fan, didn't know they started making 5v fans like that.
CWWK or rebrands from Topton etc listed here are fanless design ideal for quiet networking usage. You don't need new thermal paste or extra nifty fans. They are just "extras" squeezing out better performance. No different than me buying a new car and changing out the stock OEM tires or switching conventional oil for synthetic.

Cheapest options, esp with sale/discount, are often fully prebuilt units, but with some caveats. Included ssd/ram works but are of lower quality. Many active fan design probably are lower quality, might use non-standard parts and harder to source replacements. You hourly labor metric might kick in high gear if things go wrong. Slapping a typical 120mm fan on top is much quicker and easier parts sourcing. As a networking device that servicing downtime is important. If fan dies it can still operate passively just hotter.

$260 USD - iKOOLCORE R2 N95, 16GB ddr5, 128GB ssd, 4port (3x2.5 i226, 1x2.6 realtek), plastic, active cooling
$300 USD - CWWK N100, 16GB ddr5, 128GB ssd, 4port (4x2.5 i226), metal, passive fanless

$230 USD - Beelink EQ12, 16GB ddr5, 500GB ssd, 2port (2x2.5 i226), plastic, active cooling
$245 USD - CWWK X86 P5, 16GB ddr5, 512GB ssd, 2port (2x2.5 i226), metal, passive fanless

I'd prefer N100 over N95. Replacing thermal paste takes 15min or less unless you've never done it. Even $1 thermal paste is better than the stock one used. 120mm fan doesn't have to be best of class Noctua. $5 fans works fine. But... most people have left over spare thermal paste & fans from other builds so cost is negligible or free.

Last edited:

Napalm

Sep 8, 2021
Indeed I modify cars as a hobby too but my point was more
.look at all the people claiming overheat and throttling issues with these units. The fixes add to the price

Not to mention having to buy a new ps or what have you just to pass a stress test.

I don't read issues like that with ikool core devices. Hence the comment

Reactions: AnthonyUK