Cheap Interesting Chinese 4x2.5g, 2x10G switch, (but also problems with DACs)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
So whats the verdict on these? Seems like for 4+ 2.5 ports and 1+ SFP+ this is about as cheep as you can get without getting into very old power hungry units. And if someone only intended to use fiber with SFP+ it seems to work ok otherwise? Or is there some issues with the RJ45 ports too?

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
That PoE version sounds kind if interesting. It might be quite a bit cheaper than the Hasivo one, although the latter is managed.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
So I just decided the keep the unit... warts and all.

A power measurement: About 5.2W with 4x RJ45 and 1x SFP plugged in, while mostly idle. If I use a different 12V adapter then it's about 4.6W idle. If I run some bandwidth through it (I only ran like 4 gigabits) the power doesn't really change. Maybe an extra .1 watts.

As for recommending it to others? That's tough to do since it seems like there is basically some faulty design and who knows what else might go wrong.

Reactions: xo_bob

blakwolf

Apr 17, 2017
I'm a little confused, so even the non-POE switch has POE circuitry? I haven't had a chance to test mine, and was wondering if I should return it since I was intending to use a DAC.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I think the vendor's answer might have been a little bit garbled. What I took was at the not POE version (this version) has the fault, and a future POE version should not have the fault

If you don't expect your network configuration to change that rapidly, you might want to give it a shot. Because remember it was only a few offending RJ45 connections, plus the DAC's, the cause the problem. You might get away without any issues.
Although if you plan to plug in a wide variety of equipment over time, maybe just skip on this unit

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey @EasyRhino I am finishing up the video on these tonight. Just as a heads-up, we saw this too, and on other brands' units.

Reactions: blunden

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Hey @EasyRhino I am finishing up the video on these tonight. Just as a heads-up, we saw this too, and on other brands' units.
Hey cool! I'm glad a) you got your hands on these and b) that I'm not hallucinating.

I'm actually still using the switch because it's more useful than not using it at all, and it's cheaper than buying another one.

Reactions: Patrick

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Reactions: Haldi and blunden

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
I saw the writeup today! https://www.servethehome.com/yuanley-ys25-0402-fanless-4-port-2-5gbe-2-port-10gbe-switch-review/

It did not mention any crashing problems with certain types of cabling. If you experienced that with this model, wouldn't it be a good idea to at least mention it in the article?
I think it was mentioned in the video, but not specifically which model. I’m assuming he saw this with the same device that had a different chassis/sticker on it with the same PCB inside.

Reactions: EasyRhino

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Oh I had not watched the video, and now that I have, yay this thread is YouTube famous! It's at the 6:30 mark

Interesting the dac problem wasn't on all cousins of this switch. Also interesting that the other versions had the power port in back, unlike this one. Maybe it's even related!

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
The model from Hisource seems to be even cheaper today as part of AliExpress' Choice Deals. More in the neighborhood of $45, including a 25% VAT.

Must be dirt cheap for those of you outside the EU who probably don't have to pay any VAT or sales tax when buying from AliExpress.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
The model from Hisource seems to be even cheaper today as part of AliExpress' Choice Deals. More in the neighborhood of $45, including a 25% VAT.

Must be dirt cheap for those of you outside the EU who probably don't have to pay any VAT or sales tax when buying from AliExpress.

Crikey that was cheap. $41 incl taxes and shipping to NZ, so I had to buy one.
($38.25 if you have some AliExpress coins)

Last edited:
Reactions: blunden

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Crikey that was cheap. $41 incl taxes and shipping to NZ, so I had to buy one.
($38.25 if you have some AliExpress coins)
Glad to know that the linked for someone at least. Yeah, I considered buying one just because it was so cheap. :D

I really need PoE though, and that issue with DAC cables which I assume affects this brand too since they are likely to be using the exact same PCB limits it's usefulness a bit. Now it seems like the version with the EU plug is out of stock anyway though.