Cheap Interesting Chinese 4x2.5g, 2x10G switch, (but also problems with DACs)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kong

Dec 16, 2021

sth_kekew

Jun 1, 2023
Has anyone found affortable 2.5gbe managed poe/poe+ switch? Have been looking throught aliexpress and alibaba but didn't seem find any.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Has anyone found affortable 2.5gbe managed poe/poe+ switch? Have been looking throught aliexpress and alibaba but didn't seem find any.
It depends on your requirements and your definition of affordable.

I have a Hasivo S600WP-5GT-2S+_SE which has 5 * 2.5GBase-T ports (4 of which have PoE) and 2 * 10G SFP+ ports as well as management via web and CLI. It was covered in STH's ultimate 2.5G switch roundup. Based on the slightly older Realtek switching platform, it has a slightly higher power consumption but not too bad.

It has some unfixed firmware bugs for the management interface, but it has been stable for a couple of months at this point in terms of actual switching. The biggest downside is really that the SFP+ slots don't seem to work with DAC cables longer than 1 meter, but longer runs work fine with cheap fiber transceivers.

I have also seen PoE versions of the newer generation Realtek switches on AliExpress, but I don't remember if they were managed as well.

sth_kekew

Jun 1, 2023
It depends on your requirements and your definition of affordable.

I have a Hasivo S600WP-5GT-2S+_SE which has 5 * 2.5GBase-T ports (4 of which have PoE) and 2 * 10G SFP+ ports as well as management via web and CLI. It was covered in STH's ultimate 2.5G switch roundup. Based on the slightly older Realtek switching platform, it has a slightly higher power consumption but not too bad.

It has some unfixed firmware bugs for the management interface, but it has been stable for a couple of months at this point in terms of actual switching. The biggest downside is really that the SFP+ slots don't seem to work with DAC cables longer than 1 meter, but longer runs work fine with cheap fiber transceivers.

I have also seen PoE versions of the newer generation Realtek switches on AliExpress, but I don't remember if they were managed as well.
Thanks for the info. Do you have link to Hasivo ?
I think 100€/110$ could be realistic budget.
4 poe/poe+ with management should be enought for me.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Thanks for the info. Do you have link to Hasivo ?
I think 100€/110$ could be realistic budget.
4 poe/poe+ with management should be enought for me.
It's more expensive than that. The slightly older platform is more expensive since it isn't as integrated, but it also has slightly higher switching capacity.

Make sure to pick the PoE version to see the correct price since the listing has a non-PoE version too:

There are other brands selling the same switch as well, although not always PoE versions.

Reactions: sth_kekew

Argobas

Jan 8, 2024
I attempted to flash my ZX-SWTG124AS with firmware version 1.9. However, upon completion of the flashing process, the SYS LED began to blink rapidly and I am no longer able to access the web interface. Additionally, the standard IP address for the device is unresponsive. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

OnnoO

Oct 12, 2023
Did you flash the "ZX-SWTG124AS" firmware on your 4+2 switch? Then I believe it should've worked. I accidentally flashed the 8+1 firmware on my 4+2 port switch... Bricked..
I had to remove the SPI flash chip and reflash it with a complete image dump from a 4+2 switch to fix it.

Ozymandias

Jun 2, 2022
I guess you tried the reset button?

Flashing wrong device is my greatest fear as I have both 8+1 and 4+2 in my network.

OnnoO

Oct 12, 2023
The SPI chip is soldered. As I managed to flash the 8+1 firmware on the 4+2 switch without warning this fear is justified ;-)

Hahaburger

Aug 26, 2022
Just received a managed 4+2 Horaco switch from Aliexpress.
It costed 31 Euros(with coupons + coins) including shipping + tax.
I wanted to use it with my DACs, but worst case I was going to use it with my optics.

Luckily, it worked with the DACs I have(2 Meters SFP+ and 1 Meter SFP28).
iperf shows almost 10 Gigabits. So, it seems a nice switch for the price :)

Reactions: blunden

OnnoO

Oct 12, 2023
Very good to know! So I probably did not have to desolder the flash chip, reprogram it and solder it back to the board ;-)

giver3

Jan 24, 2024
I also had the adventure of uploading firmwar from an 8+1 switch to a 4+2 switch.
Unfortunately the symptoms were such that the switch, after the initial lighting of all LEDs, kept flashing the SYS LED.
After connecting the cable to the RJ45 socket, the switch did not initiate the connection, so it was impossible to connect to it.

J--

Aug 13, 2016
Is the issue resolved using DACs with the new firmware?

$50 quickly becomes $100 when you need to buy 4 SFP+ transceivers with each switch.