Cheap Interesting Chinese 4x2.5g, 2x10G switch, (but also problems with DACs)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

slidermike

May 7, 2023
I am holding out for better port density in the 2.5/10gb speed. 4+2 is not enough (for my home needs).

8+1 (for myself) is a minimum, preferably more.
I would love to get one of those 24+2 e-cafe switches you guys reviewed but just cannot seem to find the correct hoops to jump through.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
If you can't find it in your country try the full Alibaba listing here Hisource 4 Port 2.5g Without Power Supply Network Switch 2*10g Sfp For Ip Camera - Buy 4 Port Network Switch,2 Sfp+ Optical Ports,Best Network Switch Brands Product on Alibaba.com , I was able to order a "sample", it added an extra ~$7 in shipping. total with tax for me was just under $40. Wonder if I can order a second "sample" if I end up wanting another lol.

At this price point I'm going to use it partially as a glorified 10GB sfp+ to 2.5Gb ethernet for something that doesn't support 2.5 on the sfp+ natively, I already have a bunch of optics and such.

Reactions: blunden

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
If you can't find it in your country try the full Alibaba listing here Hisource 4 Port 2.5g Without Power Supply Network Switch 2*10g Sfp For Ip Camera - Buy 4 Port Network Switch,2 Sfp+ Optical Ports,Best Network Switch Brands Product on Alibaba.com , I was able to order a "sample", it added an extra ~$7 in shipping. total with tax for me was just under $40. Wonder if I can order a second "sample" if I end up wanting another lol.

At this price point I'm going to use it partially as a glorified 10GB sfp+ to 2.5Gb ethernet for something that doesn't support 2.5 on the sfp+ natively, I already have a bunch of optics and such.

UPDATE: The shipping cost quoted was incorrect and would have actually been close to 30 bucks in shipping. I asked for the order to be canceled

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
I found a hisource one for about 40 bucks shipped, it's on the slowboat, will report in when it gets here. The listing I got it from is already sold out. At this pricepoint they hit "utility" level.

I personally wouldn't use them for anything mission critical or my core switch, at least until get get some solid time with multiple people saying they are still stable after months of use.

Unre4L

Jul 27, 2022
Hi @EasyRhino. Would really appreciate your input. I got the same switch from Amazon but Im wondering why there is a distinction between 10G SFP and SFP+ on the description of this switch. If I get an SFP+ HBA, would it still work? Which HBA/transceivers are you using?

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Hi @EasyRhino. Would really appreciate your input. I got the same switch from Amazon but Im wondering why there is a distinction between 10G SFP and SFP+ on the description of this switch. If I get an SFP+ HBA, would it still work? Which HBA/transceivers are you using?
They were probably sloppy and used the terms interchangeably

Technically SFP is gigabit only. SFP+ is 10g

I used cheap SFP+ modules I found on Amazon. Maybe from 10gtek and ipolex, but not completely sure.

Again, except for the problem with DAC cables, it was fine. In addition, the main serve the home switch Roundup list several other models which are very similar in specs, but do not seem to have this same problem

Reactions: Unre4L

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Did it? I am considering buying one but I couldn't find if HiSource is using the new chips or older ones. Have you looked inside or have you measured the power consumption?
There is no reason to suspect that it is meaningfully different from the YuanLey, Davuaz and all the rest of those unmanaged 4 + 2 switches. That price and chassi size is only feasible with the newer and more integrated Realtek switch chip. The specs also line up.

Dostring

Dec 1, 2023
I wasn't paying enough attention - most of the talk was about 4+2 switch but I had 8+1 in mind. Is that still valid assumption (that they are all the same)? Ali has it now for about 58$ and free shipping.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I wasn't paying enough attention - most of the talk was about 4+2 switch but I had 8+1 in mind. Is that still valid assumption (that they are all the same)? Ali has it now for about 58$ and free shipping.
It seems likely based on the price, but there is no guarantee. Look at the specs though and it should hopefully be fairly conclusive. The newer more integrated switch chip has a lower total stated switching capacity (60 Gbps).

meltbox

Dec 8, 2023
I just got a POE version by Terow on Amazon for about $50. So far powering a U6 lite just fine, but I don't have anything to pop into the SFP+ ports to see if it will restart. Considering getting a SFP card for DAC and a 2.5/10g copper SFP module for other reasons, but anyone know what SFP modules actually work with this at all?

Any recommendations for low power 1/2.5/10gbe copper ones (relatively low power at least).

EDIT: About 5w with 4 ports populated 3x gigabit 1x 2.5gbe. 10w running a u6 lite, with about 5w being the AP. No idea with the SFPs populated. Delta to a cheap 1gbe 8 port switch + passive ubiquiti poe adapter is about 3.5 watts which seems quite good to me considering the capability. The power adapter says 1.25A at 52v but it feels so light that I am skeptical this can do what it says. But I do suspect as you load it up it may become somewhat more efficient. Has FCC and CE markings injection molded but hard to read on the bottom.

Last edited:

Haldi

Jan 9, 2023
Was kinda astonished when I saw the 38.- price on this thingy.

Thought that would be future proof for 10gb direct cable from NAS to Switch and Switch to PC.
But right now I only need 1x 2.5gbe for PC and 4x 1gbe.
So I planned on using the 2.5gbe DAC TP-Link TL-SM410U but I assume that's one of those that create issues.
Shame.

I mean I could do with 2x SFP+ 2x 2.5gbe and 4x 1gbe but that doesn't exist.
Closest thing to that is a MicroTik CRS310-8G+2S+IN for around 200$

Edit: this managed Horaco switch seems to have a different distance between the SFP+ ports.
Maybe different PCB?
It does claim 2.5gbase-T support. So maybe it's not affected from the DAC Issues?
S14fd5ba6cac94a23b6bd923e6ea6fc24c.jpg_640x640q90.jpgSc911957707704aea9b1350b3d0efdc3bh.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Was kinda astonished when I saw the 38.- price on this thingy.

Thought that would be future proof for 10gb direct cable from NAS to Switch and Switch to PC.
But right now I only need 1x 2.5gbe for PC and 4x 1gbe.
So I planned on using the 2.5gbe DAC TP-Link TL-SM410U but I assume that's one of those that create issues.
Shame.

I mean I could do with 2x SFP+ 2x 2.5gbe and 4x 1gbe but that doesn't exist.
Closest thing to that is a MicroTik CRS310-8G+2S+IN for around 200$

Edit: this managed Horaco switch seems to have a different distance between the SFP+ ports.
Maybe different PCB?
It does claim 2.5gbase-T support. So maybe it's not affected from the DAC Issues?
View attachment 33210View attachment 33211
What makes you assume it will have issue with DACs? Only some of the cheap switches do as far as I'm aware. They are likely to only natively support 1 and 10 Gbit/s on the SFP+ ports though. That's at least all I've tested on my switches.

Maybe if you describe your concerns more clearly, we can tell you whether they are warranted or not. :)

Haldi

Jan 9, 2023
What makes you assume it will have issue with DACs? Only some of the cheap switches do as far as I'm aware
Yeah, and that someone here stated that "most of the boards are similar" with similar problems.
Which makes sense in my opinion as most of those are simply rebrands or copies of a reference design.

I've bought one of the managed Horaco switches and will give it a try :)

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Yeah, and that someone here stated that "most of the boards are similar" with similar problems.
Which makes sense in my opinion as most of those are simply rebrands or copies of a reference design.

I've bought one of the managed Horaco switches and will give it a try :)
There are a number of different variations of the different cheap switches based on a few different switch chip platforms. Many manufacturers sell the same switch lineup. Different models/PCB designs don't necessarily share the same issues though.

For instance, my cheap unmanaged HiSource 4 RJ45 + 2 SFP+ switch links up with my 2 meter DAC cable while my managed Hasivo 5 RJ45 + 2 SFP+ switch doesn't (but works fine with active transceivers and short DACs). They are based on different switch platforms from Realtek though.

When they have the same PCB, expect the same problems. Otherwise you often can't draw any conclusions.

For managed switches, the software feature set, UI and bugs are often completely different between models (but shared between the same model but from different brands). Like I've shown before, some of the firmwares even have hidden menus to customize the branding and default settings so you wouldn't even have to recompile it to rebrand the switch.