Cheap chinese x79 mobos

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I was able to find on ebay specific MB that have the later boot block date to work with v2. Power cable adaptor is available but there's report of people not being able to get the computer back from sleep when using the adaptor cable. didn't know about non-standard fan pins....

i am actually fairly happy. it worked with oem 2696 v2 cpu as well as ecc ram as expected. haven't tried ES cpu yet but don't really anticipated much of those around for e5 v2 anyway.

just not as happy that there's only 4 ram slots. i understand they probably will be able to use 16gb dimm to get to 64gb but obviously z420 does have more ram slots

also, lack of true s3 sleep on the chinese x79 MB does bother me a little.

i just can't believe how expensive x79 MB are..... i mean it's almost better to just go with a z9pe-d16 MB which does cost $300 but at least it's dual cpu board... i did try two SM MB before and they were not completely working correctly with the latest win 10 1709 for me so i had to get the asus z9pe-d10 and that seems to work.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
how about a lenovo s30 MB? they seem to be more like regular MB with regular power plugs

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
how about a lenovo s30 MB? they seem to be more like regular MB with regular power plugs
I have one here running a E5-2667 V1 CPU that had one of the 4 HSF mounts break off the socket (what the HSF screws in to). I found out there are (at least) 2 versions of the S30 motherboard. The 1.0 has pin connections for stuff like USB/Front Panel. The 2.0 does not, it uses a little pcb slot to connect up the front panel. Standard ATX power supply seems to work fine with them though. Pretty much no over clocking. That being said, you can pick a whole system for not much more than the cheap china boards.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
yeah, I need to be careful to choose the ver that will also support v2 cpu... they lock down a lot of the earlier ver with boot block that you can't upgrade ;(

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Build Your Own Lenovo S30 4-Core 3.00GHz E5-1607 v2 No OS Wholesale | eBay

Lenovo S30 for $207 shipped. Not bad bad for a single socket 2011 v2. Given how much X79 MB are nowaday, this is not bad since it does include the case, and 600W PSU.... this also have a lot of ram slots and expansion slots compared to the chinese offers. lenovo MB are also almost pretty much generic-like with regard to psu plugs spec, fan plugs, etc unlike the HP and dell MB

The only question is the microcode support for cpu if it will also support oem cpu. i ordered one and will test with oem 2696 v2....

PCBONEZ

Nov 1, 2017
@Owners of these Chinese x79 mobos.

Are there any UL numbers or FCC certs claimed on the board/box or in the documentation?

UL numbers can ID the actual manufacturer and possibly lead to BIOS updates and so on.

FCC certs ensure the boards are not sources of EMI.

Thanks.

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
@Owners of these Chinese x79 mobos.

Are there any UL numbers or FCC certs claimed on the board/box or in the documentation?

UL numbers can ID the actual manufacturer and possibly lead to BIOS updates and so on.

FCC certs ensure the boards are not sources of EMI.

Thanks.
it could all be fake printing on the board. for all we knows the bios might have been surreptiously sending info back to china? lol.... but i guess that could happen with asus or anyone else MB too...lol

PCBONEZ

Nov 1, 2017
Although admittedly not always user friendly, both UL and the FCC maintain publicly accessible databases so consumers can look up the numbers. They also have information on how to spot fake markings and/or what legit markings should look like.

Lacking the numbers doesn't by default mean the boards have issues, it just means the company didn't submit samples to UL/FCC get their products Certified safe and legal.
In the case if the FCC no Cert' for some kinds of products makes them illegal for use in the US.
As I understand it, OB Sound and LAN puts motherboards that have them in that category.

OTOH:
Certs mean it's been tested outside the company by a third party.
A UL Cert (primarily) tells you it isn't likely to catch fire. (Seems to be UL's main focus.)
The FCC Cert tells you it's not emitting excessive EMI that might affect your other computers, cards you've installed in it, nearby audio devices or even cell phones.
There are non-US Certs that tell basically the same thing things.
Example= Korea Certification Standard Mark Requirements
Example= EMC Requirements for Australia and New Zealand

It's only something I think about when dealing with small companies I've never heard of.
Major mobo/NIC/card/etc.. companies get the Certs by default. It's usually marked on the box and/or in the manual somewhere.
For them getting the Cert is cheap protection against lawsuits later on should a bum part slip past their own engineers.

Note: Product certs go to whoever applies for them. They -usually- ID the actual manufacturer, but not always.
Antec OEM's their PSUs from other companies (Seasonic, Delta, CWT, other?) and then (often/sometimes/used to ?) applies for Certification under their own name, so, by the UL marked on the part it looks like they are the actual manufacturer.
I don't know if they still do that but they were when CWT (who had a bad rep at the time) was one of their major suppliers.
Antec isn't the only company that has ever done that and it is unusual, but it happens.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I just picked up a E5-2643 v1 for cheap, well $20.00 is cheap for a 4 core cpu with hyper-threading with a base clock of 3.3 GH/z, to use to build a cheap gaming computer for one of my kids.

So that means I need a cheap motherboard and have been looking at these for a while.

Some are pretty cool, some are pretty odd. One is listed as using a H61 chipset, socket 2011 with a H61!!?? strange beast.

Some are only dual channel, some are 4.

So I still need to decide.

Some info here Products-Motherboard LGA2011-Shenzhen Xinlizhi technology co., LTD

This one looks sweet! Gigabyte might not like it tho.:D

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
if you can find where that particular board on sale, let us know. i haven't been able to find it. but it looks like those cheap x79 chinese boards are getting better fast. nice to have that main ram slots which was the weak point of earlier boards. this particular one is quad channels with dual slots for each channel so you could probably do 128gb. i don't know it will truly support quad sli but its good to have 4 pcie x16 and hope that they are actually at least 4 8x...

Another thing, seems like a lot of these don't support proper s3 suspend sleep function. they only seem to have s1

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Last time I checked these chinese "X79" Boards actually had a C602 chipset instead. All of them, despite being advertised as X79.
So no CPU overclocking, no matter which CPU you put in.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
if you can find where that particular board on sale, let us know. i haven't been able to find it. but it looks like those cheap x79 chinese boards are getting better fast. nice to have that main ram slots which was the weak point of earlier boards. this particular one is quad channels with dual slots for each channel so you could probably do 128gb. i don't know it will truly support quad sli but its good to have 4 pcie x16 and hope that they are actually at least 4 8x...

Another thing, seems like a lot of these don't support proper s3 suspend sleep function. they only seem to have s1

It's listed on Alibaba but I have never bought anything there.

I could care less about suspend, all my pc's are running and doing things all the time and never need to go to sleep.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Last time I checked these chinese "X79" Boards actually had a C602 chipset instead. All of them, despite being advertised as X79.

Not going to overclock with the E5-2643 cpu I have, just wanting something cheap but decent quality.

BlackArchon

Jun 23, 2016
The C602 chipsets are also capable of overclocking. I have an Asrock Rack EPC602D8A (product page: ASRock Rack > EPC602D8A) and the BIOS has overclocking options for the CPU multiplier and several voltage settings. My Xeon E5-1680 v2 and my i7-4820K can be overclocked with this board, the only issue is that I can't get the CPU to ignore its TDP limit, and the memory can't run faster than DDR3-1866. With an X79 chipset there aren't these issues.

PCBONEZ

Nov 1, 2017
It's listed on Alibaba but I have never bought anything there.
I have for 'dumb' electronic components. Things like connector housings and pins.
I get active components elsewhere because I don't trust Alibaba THAT much.
There ARE many legit sellers there but also fraud is rampant.

They counterfeit electronics parts (caps, IC chips, cards and so-on) just like they do designer clothes and if not very careful Alibaba is a good place to end up with faked electronics.
I haven't heard of one recently, but even fake/knock-off chipsets aren't unheard of.

There are few (or no effective) ebay-like protections built in at Alibaba.
Don't expect a claimed warranty to be honored or enforceable. (Might honor it. Might not)
Ask the seller a question first - just to see if they are responsive. (And speak your language.)
Use a CC with an easy to use claim process.
Expect most shipping times to be long. (Sometimes months.)
Keep in mind that shipping out is cheap for them, but return shipping may not be.
Additionally tracking to prove returns isn't always possible because some areas don't have a mechanism in place to do so.
For something like a mobo I would look for something comparable on ebay or amazon before using Alibaba.
If Alibaba was the only place (short of a recommendation for a specific seller from someone I know), I'd skip it entirely.

Last edited:

cn9amt100up

Feb 11, 2015

Search '華南金牌X79', which is hua nan in chinese, you may find some @TaoBao

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I have for 'dumb' electronic components. Things like connector housings and pins.
I get active components elsewhere because I don't trust Alibaba THAT much.
There ARE many legit sellers there but also fraud is rampant.

They counterfeit electronics parts (caps, IC chips, cards and so-on) just like they do designer clothes and if not very careful Alibaba is a good place to end up with faked electronics.
I haven't heard of one recently, but even fake/knock-off chipsets aren't unheard of.

There are few (or no effective) ebay-like protections built in at Alibaba.
Don't expect a claimed warranty to be honored or enforceable. (Might honor it. Might not)
Ask the seller a question first - just to see if they are responsive. (And speak your language.)
Use a CC with an easy to use claim process.
Expect most shipping times to be long. (Sometimes months.)
Keep in mind that shipping out is cheap for them, but return shipping may not be.
Additionally tracking to prove returns isn't always possible because some areas don't have a mechanism in place to do so.
For something like a mobo I would look for something comparable on ebay or amazon before using Alibaba.
If Alibaba was the only place (short of a recommendation for a specific seller from someone I know), I'd skip it entirely.

I am not planning to buy anything off Alibaba anytime soon, I was just answering an availability question.

I'll probably buy one off Ebay when I decide on the one I want.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I do not need a ton of features, all I need on a motherboard is this:

Two sticks of ram, for two 8 gig sticks.
Two Sata ports, for one 240 gb ssd and one 1 tb WD black hard drive.
One pcie x16 slot, only going to use one GPU.
Onboard sound of decent quality, or a PCI slot for an older but great sound card I already have.
No bigger than ATX.

Only thing I need to get is a cpu cooler and motherboard, I have everything else.