15$ Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
its running baremetal nix in the picture, hdmi capture stuff is all custom and prolly only going to work in windows if that
Any crazy "special sauce" required to get the Creston to run? Unlocking the disk image, custom boot loader or EEPROM whitelisting on the firmware?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Fireport

At least that is what it is on my 5070

Chris
Yea, I think that's for the BIOS. The OS itself has an admin password.

Do you know what kind of HD this monster has? I went through my box of spares and have nothing even close. I want to load a regular Linux distro on it but need more room.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hi

Not all 2.5 SATA SSD’s will fit this Wyse 5060 Thin Client.

After some research, I used a Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, Internal, 2.5" (MZ-76E250B/EU)

You can remove the internal drive component and mount it as pictured. It needed some small trimming of the metal memory shielding and some electrical isolation on the metal stand-off below the drive.

IMG_2679.JPG

This was a simple process – once I discovered which SSD to get and makes the 5060 a very useful low-power/low-cost device.

I hope this helps.

Have fun.

RedX1

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Does anybody know if the WLAN slot can be used for something other than WLAN?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Does anybody know if the WLAN slot can be used for something other than WLAN?
Yes, you can run an nvme SSD off it easily enough with the right adapter.

You only get PCIe 1X speed so it's limited to 500MB/s but that's a small price to pay for more storage.

My tiny Proxmox node uses the small 16G ssd that comes with it is the Proxmox OS, and the 1TB nvme is a zfs/gluster setup for shared storage.
I have another Wyse box as the proxmox quorom device and gluster arbiter :)

1642186277903.png

Reactions: Fritz and n17ikh

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015

You only get PCIe 1X speed so it's limited to 500MB/s but that's a small price to pay for more storage.

My tiny Proxmox node uses the small 16G ssd that comes with it is the Proxmox OS, and the 1TB nvme is a zfs/gluster setup for shared storage.

View attachment 21154
Thanks. Just ordered one.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Any crazy "special sauce" required to get the Creston to run? Unlocking the disk image, custom boot loader or EEPROM whitelisting on the firmware?
I tried searching for this on the bay to snag 1-2, but I think I'm missing what to search for. If we don't want to spell it out on the forum for web scrappers, feel free to PM me.

Bbolt

Dec 19, 2021

View attachment 21154
Would this 90 degree m.2 adapter fit? M.2 NGFF SSD Solid State Hard Disk to Half High 2.5 inch SATA3 adapter.OU | eBay A small (2242?) 256G m.2 is pretty cheap, here is one with the adapter for $44: ZMKM 32gb 64gb 128gb 256GB Half Slim SATA III 6Gbps SSD Solid State Disk | eBay

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
That seems to be it, however power bricks seem impossible to find.

In for 1 lol.

It says 12V in, and that looks like a standard, if a bit less common, connector; should be able to rig something up for testing.
Looks like an interesting bit of kit to mess with.

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
In for 1 lol.

It says 12V in, and that looks like a standard, if a bit less common, connector; should be able to rig something up for testing.
Looks like an interesting bit of kit to mess with.
It's a 4 pin "snap and lock" connector.
Pinout unknown but not too hard to figure out.
The OEM power supply is one of these Inventus units:
but with that 4-pin connector.

Any old 120W or higher 12V brick will probably work. Be aware that the pinout of the 4-pin connector isn't standard so it's possible to buy a power supply that looks right but has the completely wrong pinout which will release the magic smoke. There are a lot of 12v supplies with the snap and lock connectors though, like Amazon.com: TAIFU 4-Pin 12V 8.33A - 9A AC Adapter Replacement for Synology Disk Station DS410 DS410j DS411 DS411J DS412 DS412 + DiskStation Network Storage NAS Server 12V DC(with 4-Prong Connector) Power Supply : Electronics (no claim as to quality) or these FSP Group 120W 12V 4-pin Power Supply FSP135-KHAM1 689192561225 | eBay (a really nice PSU). Easy enough to buy one and then repin or rewire if necessary. I think I might pass on this one though despite the interesting hardware.

Reactions: Fritz

Markess

May 19, 2018
its running baremetal nix in the picture, hdmi capture stuff is all custom and prolly only going to work in windows if that
Hard to keep track of which device people are posting about here :p .

@fohdeesha, since you have one of these Crestron units in hand: any idea if the slot that the capture stuff is plugged into is PCIe (and wired like its PCIe)? From the picture, it looks the right shape, just backards and on its side. If so, that would be helpful for the tinkerers. Backwards would put a card's components facing upward.

An old HBA, a little laser cutting, a little crimping, an armload of old lapptop drives, and presto... a...um...something...with a lot of small drives mounted internally where you couldn't get at them? :oops: Then again, maybe not.