15$ Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Hello ,

Just bought this device. I was able to able to upgrade the SSD to 480GB and also installed Debian. Some how couldn't figure out how to upgrade the RAM. I see a single slot in the middle, not sure whether that is meant for RAM.

Can any one please help me here to upgrade the RAM?. I plan to put 8GB. Thanks!
@yogi_en - what was the model number of the ssd you used?

There are 2 ram slots stacked on top of each other.
You need to remove a small silver metal heat shield access to them.
I circled the screws for the heatshield with red.

It's really tight getting ram into the lower slot, so you will need to remove the small i/o board, and also pop the front cover off a little.
It doesn't need to come off all the way. Just enough to get the ram to slide into the bottom socket.

Blue circles indicate the screws you need to remove the I/O board.
Green circles indicate the screws for the front cover
Orange rectangles are for the front cover clips you need to pry off

This is what mine looks like. The cable coming off the "wan" port is a Mini PCIe to nvme ssd adapter :D

image_50451457.jpg

Last edited:

yogi_en

Dec 18, 2019
Hi @zer0sum ,

Thanks a lot for the reply with picture!. The SSD that I have used is 'sandisk ssd plus sdssda-480g'. I had to remove the SSD cover. The SSD was slightly big even after that and it was not fitting correctly. Some how I made it work. Can you please let me know the model number that you have used?.

I have ordered DDR3 SODIMM 8GB RAM from Amazon ( Amazon.com ). Waiting for it to arrive. Will update you once I get that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

yogi_en

Dec 18, 2019
Hi @zer0sum

I got the 8GB RAM today and added as part of my 5060 thin client. Thanks to your excellent picture and guides. It was quite easy for because of that! . All working good. Really Appreciate your help.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Any idea on what CPU it has?

edit: found it in the thread Ivy Bridge class..

too much power consumption for me.. Looking for a new firewall -- something that will exceed Atomic Pi (Intel Atom x5-z8350) with as low or lower power consumption. Gotta have dual NICs or can fit a dual/quad NIC PCIe card.

So far the only thing I've found capable is ASRock NUC BOX-1115G4 but that around $344 without RAM or SSD.

Good luck to all you tinkers and fohdeesha for paving the way!

The HDMI input and media capabilities look stellar. Excited to see what y'all use these for!

Last edited:

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Any idea on what CPU it has?

edit: found it in the thread Ivy Bridge class..

too much power consumption for me.. Looking for a new firewall -- something that will exceed Atomic Pi (Intel Atom x5-z8350) with as low or lower power consumption. Gotta have dual NICs or can fit a dual/quad NIC PCIe card.

So far the only thing I've found capable is ASRock NUC BOX-1115G4 but that around $344 without RAM or SSD.

Good luck to all you tinkers and fohdeesha for paving the way!

The HDMI input and media capabilities look stellar. Excited to see what y'all use these for!
As soon as you're ok with usb based network cards you will have vastly more options :)
You can even use 2.5G or 5G ones that will be an upgrade over most built in 1G ports.

I've been really happy with my Sabrent 2.5G ones so far

Reactions: Samir and e97

e97

Jun 3, 2015
As soon as you're ok with usb based network cards you will have vastly more options :)
You can even use 2.5G or 5G ones that will be an upgrade over most built in 1G ports.

I've been really happy with my Sabrent 2.5G ones so far
Its all about upgrading the toys :D Wanted to streamline and move to a PCIe NIC for latency and peace of mind. Its probably ms of latency and nothing I'd actually notice.

Been using a USB 3-to-Gigabit (RTL8150/8153) with the Atomic Pi for WAN for a few years now and I'm surprised by how flawless its been.

My RPi 3 with external USB HD drops the USB HD about once a year, but no issues with the USB gigabit adapter on Atomic Pi!

Don't have any 2.5G gear yet, only 1G and 40G. Read that there have been troubles with 2.5G, specifically Intel had hardware issues in the first two revs limiting performance to 1G speecs and it was only fixed in rev3.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just jumped in and ordered one of these. For 36 bucks and some change delivered, why not.

yogi_en

Dec 18, 2019
Hi @zer0sum

Are you using these USB NIC for pfsense/OpnSense firewall?. I was under the impression ( based on the various posts ) that these NIC won't work well in FreeBSD. What is your experience?. I am looking for a second pfsense box now . I had HP 620plus with PCI NIC as of now.

aeg

May 6, 2019
I just bought one of these Dell 5060s. Replaced the CMOS battery preemptively and then needed a password to get into BIOS setup - it turns out the default password is Fireport with a capital F. It looks like the original VESA mount (575-BBFM) is not readily available, does anyone know a substitute?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Hi @zer0sum

Are you using these USB NIC for pfsense/OpnSense firewall?. I was under the impression ( based on the various posts ) that these NIC won't work well in FreeBSD. What is your experience?. I am looking for a second pfsense box now . I had HP 620plus with PCI NIC as of now.
I've only used them with Proxmox and ESXi really, and haven't had too many issues.
ESXi just needs the right fling drivers - USB Network Native Driver for ESXi

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I've only used them with Proxmox and ESXi really, and haven't had too many issues.
ESXi just needs the right fling drivers - USB Network Native Driver for ESXi
Wow, I had no idea there was a USB networking driver for ESXI. I was resisting these boxes, even for tinkering, because I thought there was no reliable way to have a second NIC.

Has USB been reliable for you? Have you tried anything other than the Sabrent?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Fireport

At least that is what it is on my 5070

Chris
Yea, I think that's for the BIOS. The OS itself has an admin password.

Do you know what kind of HD this monster has? I went through my box of spares and have nothing even close. I want to load a regular Linux distro on it but need more room.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hi

Not all 2.5 SATA SSD’s will fit this Wyse 5060 Thin Client.

After some research, I used a Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, Internal, 2.5" (MZ-76E250B/EU)

You can remove the internal drive component and mount it as pictured. It needed some small trimming of the metal memory shielding and some electrical isolation on the metal stand-off below the drive.

IMG_2679.JPG

This was a simple process – once I discovered which SSD to get and makes the 5060 a very useful low-power/low-cost device.

I hope this helps.

Have fun.

RedX1

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Does anybody know if the WLAN slot can be used for something other than WLAN?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Does anybody know if the WLAN slot can be used for something other than WLAN?
Yes, you can run an nvme SSD off it easily enough with the right adapter.

You only get PCIe 1X speed so it's limited to 500MB/s but that's a small price to pay for more storage.

My tiny Proxmox node uses the small 16G ssd that comes with it is the Proxmox OS, and the 1TB nvme is a zfs/gluster setup for shared storage.
I have another Wyse box as the proxmox quorom device and gluster arbiter :)

1642186277903.png