15$ Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jibsaramnim

Jan 19, 2023
www.davejansen.com
I just wanted to join in to confirm that a Samsung 860EVO 500GB fits perfectly (once removed from its 2.5" enclosure, of course), I didn't even have to bend anything out of the way. So that might be another good option to consider for anyone out there looking to get some more storage space in their device.

Thanks to everyone here who posted their updates -- it's what led me to figure this one out too. I had never seen a naked SATA SSD before, so had no clue that that's what was basically pre-installed in my Wyse unit (which came with a 64GB one).

Attachments

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I just wanted to join in to confirm that a Samsung 860EVO 500GB fits perfectly (once removed from its 2.5" enclosure, of course), I didn't even have to bend anything out of the way. So that might be another good option to consider for anyone out there looking to get some more storage space in their device.

Thanks to everyone here who posted their updates -- it's what led me to figure this one out too. I had never seen a naked SATA SSD before, so had no clue that that's what was basically pre-installed in my Wyse unit (which came with a 64GB one).
Did you have any trouble getting the case open? I have a Samsung 840 EVO and was going to open it up and see if it';s the short version but inspite of the fact that I have 10,000 security bits I do not have one that will fit these tiny tiny screws. But just ordered a 860 EVO 500GB and I'll break it open if I have to.

Reactions: Samir

jibsaramnim

Jan 19, 2023
www.davejansen.com
Did you have any trouble getting the case open? I have a Samsung 840 EVO and was going to open it up and see if it';s the short version but inspite of the fact that I have 10,000 security bits I do not have one that will fit these tiny tiny screws. But just ordered a 860 EVO 500GB and I'll break it open if I have to.
It wasn't too easy yes, the screws are on quite tight. I ended up using a flathead screwdriver that fit closely enough, and I was only able to get the first two screws to loosen. The third screw just wouldn't budge, but with the two screws out I was able to sort of keep the case open and have the actual SSD bit come out without too much trouble. Perhaps not the most elegant way to handle it, but it worked :D.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It wasn't too easy yes, the screws are on quite tight. I ended up using a flathead screwdriver that fit closely enough, and I was only able to get the first two screws to loosen. The third screw just wouldn't budge, but with the two screws out I was able to sort of keep the case open and have the actual SSD bit come out without too much trouble. Perhaps not the most elegant way to handle it, but it worked :D.
Thanks. I may just dremel the screw heads off.

My Samsung drive arrived today. I had to cut a small notch in the aluminum memory cover which was no big deal.

So now I have an a bit more useful 5060.

Last edited:

depeesz

Jul 22, 2023
I'm about to buy it and wonder whether it would be possible to mount a tiny CPU fan on the top of the radiator? Does it have enough space and a 3/4-pin connector (otherwise I can power it via one of USB ports)?

Last edited:

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
There's no real clearance between the heatsink and the inner cover, which acts as part of the heat extraction system. The heatsink is only about 25mm tall, so finding quality, quiet, affordable fans to push air thru it might be a chore.

There's room to mount an 80mm fan between the heatsink and bottom chassis, but I would advise against it; half would be completely blocked by the metal inner cover, so you'd likely run into noise, airflow, and long term reliability issues. The cover could easily handle a couple of shallow 40x10mm fans to run a positive air pressure in the chassis, with some slightly creative mounting.

There's no easy way to grab power. There's a SATA header with power, but with no simple way to tap into, neither 3 nor 4 pin populated fan headers, and no populaed usb headers. and a mini-pcie slot. You could probably manage something creative with some tinkering but no official-dell method I can find.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and depeesz

depeesz

Jul 22, 2023
Thanks. It seems my idea of mounting the fan will not succeed.

Another issue: I have just mounted a second RAM stick with the same specs as the factory one. However, CPU-Z shows both of them as working in a single channel. Is it normal? I mean does the motherboard support only single-channel RAM?

Last edited:

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
I just fired Windows up on mine, cpu-z says two 4gb sticks (one original and one salvaged from another of my w5060's) is definitely single channel.

jibsaramnim

Jan 19, 2023
www.davejansen.com
This may be moving away from the "serve" part of why we've been looking at and talking about these units, but I was wondering if anyone knows if running Windows XP or even 98 directly on this kind of unit is feasible. Has anyone been able to do this successfully, including whatever drivers would be necessary to get it running reasonably well, or is considering this just a fool's errand?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
This may be moving away from the "serve" part of why we've been looking at and talking about these units, but I was wondering if anyone knows if running Windows XP or even 98 directly on this kind of unit is feasible. Has anyone been able to do this successfully, including whatever drivers would be necessary to get it running reasonably well, or is considering this just a fool's errand?
XP might be a maybe, depending on if you can find drivers, but most of this hardware is so much newer than that era so there's no support.

jibsaramnim

Jan 19, 2023
www.davejansen.com
XP might be a maybe, depending on if you can find drivers, but most of this hardware is so much newer than that era so there's no support.
You're probably right. (Partially) Answering my own question; I installed XP SP3 on my Wyse using WinSetupFromUSB, which worked surprisingly smoothly — I had not tried this before, it's been years since I did anything with Windows, let alone XP. I got missing drivers to install using SDIO, all except one; graphics. As it turns out, drivers for the Radeon R5E were never made available for Windows XP, only (seemingly) Windows 7 and onward. I did try a bit of .inf modification shenanigans to see if I could get something working, but I did not get that lucky. I was able to get a driver to install but it would fail to start, with Windows listing it with one of those yellow exclamation points and saying something went wrong with it and the driver couldn't load.

That's as far as I got. It's a bit of a shame, as it otherwise was a very smoth process with sound and ethernet and everything working with just a few drivers needed. I wonder if someone more knowledgeable would be able to figure this out more easily, sadly I'm not all too familiar with this and a quick search seems to show that no-one else tried or succeeded to get later AMD drivers (as in, anything after Catalyst v14, the last one released for XP) backported.

jibsaramnim

Jan 19, 2023
www.davejansen.com
You could install Windows 7 and then Windows XP Mode.
Thanks for the tip! I suppose that would work yeah, it does seem like all drivers should be available under Windows 7 (and up). For me that has little value though, the whole reason I wanted to look into this was for my nostalgia towards Windows XP. I have no such feeling towards Windows 7. For actual compatibility with older games or so it's actually easier for me to just run them under Linux, so this really was just a nostalgia-driven curiosity drive :D.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks for the tip! I suppose that would work yeah, it does seem like all drivers should be available under Windows 7 (and up). For me that has little value though, the whole reason I wanted to look into this was for my nostalgia towards Windows XP. I have no such feeling towards Windows 7. For actual compatibility with older games or so it's actually easier for me to just run them under Linux, so this really was just a nostalgia-driven curiosity drive :D.
I use XP mode to play a couple of games I've been addicted to for decades that won't run on anything newer and it serves the purpose. When you go into XP mode Windows 7 disappears completely so that shouldn't be an issue.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
You're probably right. (Partially) Answering my own question; I installed XP SP3 on my Wyse using WinSetupFromUSB, which worked surprisingly smoothly — I had not tried this before, it's been years since I did anything with Windows, let alone XP. I got missing drivers to install using SDIO, all except one; graphics. As it turns out, drivers for the Radeon R5E were never made available for Windows XP, only (seemingly) Windows 7 and onward. I did try a bit of .inf modification shenanigans to see if I could get something working, but I did not get that lucky. I was able to get a driver to install but it would fail to start, with Windows listing it with one of those yellow exclamation points and saying something went wrong with it and the driver couldn't load.

That's as far as I got. It's a bit of a shame, as it otherwise was a very smoth process with sound and ethernet and everything working with just a few drivers needed. I wonder if someone more knowledgeable would be able to figure this out more easily, sadly I'm not all too familiar with this and a quick search seems to show that no-one else tried or succeeded to get later AMD drivers (as in, anything after Catalyst v14, the last one released for XP) backported.
There's some good notes on what these can do a retro gaming consoles, including DOS, here:

I didn't realize what series these are--a couple of generations ago these do have a native xp embedded dom (embedded standard 2009, as it was a option on mine), so xp should install great:

But for any retro computing, the even earlier era thin clients were really great for this, and they're readily available fully set up and ready to go at reasonable prices like this one: