15$ Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client

Spiderman

Apr 1, 2022
Hi guys .. Wondering if anyone could help :( .. I have updated the BIOS to 1.0K using Dell USB imaging but onboard sound stopped working completely! Did I do something wrong?!

Reactions: Samir

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I didn't even notice this thing had onboard sound, lol.

I'm on BIOS 1.0a and sound works properly.

Spiderman

Apr 1, 2022
I didn't even notice this thing had onboard sound, lol.

I'm on BIOS 1.0a and sound works properly.
I was stupid enough to get another unit and update the BIOS, again!! (using ThinLinux_5060_BIOS_10K.zip with Dell Imaging Tool) Everything went smoothly first then onboard speaker started to make weird noises during Window 10 setup, and now it doesn't even work! Rolling back to 1.0A didn't make any difference!! This time I can see the drivers (under Windows & Linux) but no sound through the speaker or the headphone jack!!

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
That is weird. Do you have another set of speakers you can try? If I remember correctly, Windows will show a red x on the taskbar speaker icon if there are no speakers detected. Worth checking to see if mute is on also.

Spiderman

Apr 1, 2022
That is weird. Do you have another set of speakers you can try? If I remember correctly, Windows will show a red x on the taskbar speaker icon if there are no speakers detected. Worth checking to see if mute is on also.
It's so weird! I'm testing using Debian, Window 10, and ThinLinux .. As of now:
Unit 1: BIOS 1.0K - Sounds only comes through DP/HDMI in all systems as if the other output is completely absent!
Unit 2: BIOS 1.0K - Both outputs present in all three systems but headphones/speaker doesn't work and produce weird static noises so I have to manually change output to DP/HDMI or mute it!

It's extremely minor issue and doesn't interfere with the purpose intended (Linux Server) but I'm a bit annoyed by such random malfunctions !!