15$ Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yes, you can run an nvme SSD off it easily enough with the right adapter.

You only get PCIe 1X speed so it's limited to 500MB/s but that's a small price to pay for more storage.

My tiny Proxmox node uses the small 16G ssd that comes with it is the Proxmox OS, and the 1TB nvme is a zfs/gluster setup for shared storage.
I have another Wyse box as the proxmox quorom device and gluster arbiter :)

View attachment 21154
Thanks. Just ordered one.

Reactions: Samir

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Any crazy "special sauce" required to get the Creston to run? Unlocking the disk image, custom boot loader or EEPROM whitelisting on the firmware?
I tried searching for this on the bay to snag 1-2, but I think I'm missing what to search for. If we don't want to spell it out on the forum for web scrappers, feel free to PM me.

Bbolt

Dec 19, 2021
Yes, you can run an nvme SSD off it easily enough with the right adapter.

You only get PCIe 1X speed so it's limited to 500MB/s but that's a small price to pay for more storage.

My tiny Proxmox node uses the small 16G ssd that comes with it is the Proxmox OS, and the 1TB nvme is a zfs/gluster setup for shared storage.
I have another Wyse box as the proxmox quorom device and gluster arbiter :)

View attachment 21154
Would this 90 degree m.2 adapter fit? M.2 NGFF SSD Solid State Hard Disk to Half High 2.5 inch SATA3 adapter.OU | eBay A small (2242?) 256G m.2 is pretty cheap, here is one with the adapter for $44: ZMKM 32gb 64gb 128gb 256GB Half Slim SATA III 6Gbps SSD Solid State Disk | eBay

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
That seems to be it, however power bricks seem impossible to find.

In for 1 lol.

It says 12V in, and that looks like a standard, if a bit less common, connector; should be able to rig something up for testing.
Looks like an interesting bit of kit to mess with.

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
In for 1 lol.

It says 12V in, and that looks like a standard, if a bit less common, connector; should be able to rig something up for testing.
Looks like an interesting bit of kit to mess with.
It's a 4 pin "snap and lock" connector.
Pinout unknown but not too hard to figure out.
The OEM power supply is one of these Inventus units:
but with that 4-pin connector.

Any old 120W or higher 12V brick will probably work. Be aware that the pinout of the 4-pin connector isn't standard so it's possible to buy a power supply that looks right but has the completely wrong pinout which will release the magic smoke. There are a lot of 12v supplies with the snap and lock connectors though, like Amazon.com: TAIFU 4-Pin 12V 8.33A - 9A AC Adapter Replacement for Synology Disk Station DS410 DS410j DS411 DS411J DS412 DS412 + DiskStation Network Storage NAS Server 12V DC(with 4-Prong Connector) Power Supply : Electronics (no claim as to quality) or these FSP Group 120W 12V 4-pin Power Supply FSP135-KHAM1 689192561225 | eBay (a really nice PSU). Easy enough to buy one and then repin or rewire if necessary. I think I might pass on this one though despite the interesting hardware.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
My SATA extension cable arrived today. Used it to install a full sized SSD. Attached it to the metal screen with a couple of screws. About to load Linux on it.

I also updated the memory to 16GB.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Would this 90 degree m.2 adapter fit? M.2 NGFF SSD Solid State Hard Disk to Half High 2.5 inch SATA3 adapter.OU | eBay A small (2242?) 256G m.2 is pretty cheap, here is one with the adapter for $44: ZMKM 32gb 64gb 128gb 256GB Half Slim SATA III 6Gbps SSD Solid State Disk | eBay
Based on the pictures, that looks like it would work I think :)

You can also buy more direct replacements like this - HP Apacer 64GB MLC SATA Module HF 8C.F1ED4.LR10B PN 689057-001 720047-001 | eBay

Or, I know there are some 2.5" SSD's that you can "shuck" and they are actually tiny SSD inside that will work.
I haven't found a list of those unfortunately :(

Reactions: Samir and Sleyk

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Reactions: Samir and Sleyk

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hello

Back to the W5060

Just some further data points about this cheap and surprisingly useful little unit.

Out of curiosity, I have upgraded this unit from W10Pro to W11Pro on this un-supported hardware using the method described here.

This was a super easy process and took around 1 hour from starting - to finally install all the latest W11 upgrades.

Not particularly fast, or maybe even useful, but everything seems to work as expected.

w11.png

If you want to try out Windows 11 - give it a try.

Have fun.

RedX 1

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Loaded Linux Mint Cinnamon on mine after upgrading the memory to 16GB and the HD to a 64GB. Very snappy and usable.

wenestvedt

Feb 11, 2022
Little Rhodey, USA
I picked up one of these last week, and I love it! Thanks to this group for being a good resource whiel I was reading up on these thin clients.

I bought a basic Kingston SSD & cable, but when I shucked the SSD out of curiosity, I realized that I didn't need the cable at all: the new SSD is half the size of the 16GB card that was in the unit from Dell!

Next I put Debian onto it (using a thumb drive), and that simpler than I expected.

Now it's running on my desk, installing Docker and driving an SDR dongle to capture utility meter readings; I plan to move my Home Assistant there from the Raspberry Pi where it runs now.

But I wonder: are there any particular USB wifi adapters that are especially good or bad?

Reactions: Samir and wills

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I picked up one of these last week, and I love it! Thanks to this group for being a good resource whiel I was reading up on these thin clients.

I bought a basic Kingston SSD & cable, but when I shucked the SSD out of curiosity, I realized that I didn't need the cable at all: the new SSD is half the size of the 16GB card that was in the unit from Dell!

Next I put Debian onto it (using a thumb drive), and that simpler than I expected.

Now it's running on my desk, installing Docker and driving an SDR dongle to capture utility meter readings; I plan to move my Home Assistant there from the Raspberry Pi where it runs now.

But I wonder: are there any particular USB wifi adapters that are especially good or bad?
Which model Kingston? I opened every SSD I own looking for a half length and didn't find one. I settled for a 64GB Apacer that's pretty close to the original 16GB but the hole isn't in the proper place. I'm thinking about using it as a Pi Hole box but have to do a b it more research.

wenestvedt

Feb 11, 2022
Little Rhodey, USA
It's a "Kingston 240GB A400 SATA 3 2.5" Internal SSD SA400S37/240G - HDD Replacement for Increase Performance" that I got at Amazon.

It was $29 for 240GB, which is more local storage than this device should use, and I have my Synology for network storage.

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Anybody know what the admin password is?
If it's a windows embeded unit, I know mine stock were "Wyse#123" and "DellCCCvdi". And I believe the vnc password is "Wyse" or "password" (can't remember if these for the Dells or others--too many thin clients, lol.)
Maybe it is a "half slim SSD" ?
I had to use a SATA extension: 15+7 Pin SATA HDD Extension Cable Data & Power Male to Female | eBay
I'd go with a branded one from startech instead. It may cost more but saves time down the road when the dirt cheap ones fall apart and cause weird issues that waste time to diagnose:
Thank you sir, just ordered.
Just to point out, you need to have an msata drive for this adapter to work. This is not the m.2 form factor. I know this has bit people before hence I bring it up. :)

Reactions: Fritz