12gen N-series Nas motherboard (topton, cwwk, ... )

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wallie

Feb 18, 2024
Update about BKHD N100 board.
Truenas scale, Ubuntu server & home assistant works fine as vm in proxmox.
The only problem I was having is to get opnsense running stable. For a few hours everything worked fine with powertop optimization. But then drama starts, no internet connection and opnsense unreachable. Because opnsense is giving proxmox the internal ip for access I was also not able to access proxmox to restart opnsense vm. So had to power off the whole system. Without powertop optimizations opnsense stopped working after longer period. So I'm now running it without opnsense stable. Also accepting a few watts more, but performance is good!

For the loud fan problem I used a fan controller. So the system is now quit :) Only the nvme drive can use some more cooling.

Next step is to use the second nvme drive which will be the backup of the first nvme drive.

bugmenot

Aug 14, 2017
I think why you have problem with powertop is because of jmb585 controller (at least this is my findings when i try to run it using unraid to try to save couple of watts), so if you dont need jmb585 controller for hdd's maybe try disable it (pcie port 7), and try powertop once again, but i did not think you will have much help with watts saved

Tremendous

Mar 13, 2024
I orderd the N305 Version yersterday and have some questions open in my mind:
Is there any Recommendation for a single DDR5 SO DIMM?
And is there any experience if using both NVME Slots will prevent higher Cstates?

pkoci

Aug 13, 2023
You can forget about higher Cstates if a JMB585 sata expansion card is enabled. I have not tried to use both M.2 slots with NVMe SSD.

I have done some investigation about C states...

I purchased an ASM1166 sata expansion card, updated the firmware and plugged it into the second m.2 slot (I have a Samsung NVMe SSD in the first m.2 slot). Unfortunately, when ASPM is enabled on the ASM1166 controller, the UNRAID system does not see any HDDs connected, but C8 states are reached. When I disable ASPM in the BIOS settings for the pcie port that the asm1166 controller is plugged into, UNRAID sees the connected HDDs, but only C3 states are reached.

I thought that ASM1166 controller with correct firmware supports ASPM and therefore higher Cstates.

I might try to plug it into the other m.2 slot...

Any ideas?

Tremendous

Mar 13, 2024
I wanted to unse a PCIe x1 Card with ASM1164 and disable JMB585.
That should enable lower cstates. Hopefully disks will appear then. Bad is That ASM1166 is not available for PCIe 1. I have found none :/

I found the issue: if ASMxxx is connected to CPU Lanes you will not reach good cstates. If it is connected to the chipset you will. But this Board does not have any lanes from a chipset.
Only way would be to use both m2 slots and the native sata slot to get most energy savings.

Last edited:

pkoci

Aug 13, 2023
The second m.2 slot doesn't really support ASPM in my opinion.
I swapped the nvme ssd with a sata controller. The nvme ssd was unavailable then but the HDDs were recognized by the system.
What about the pcie x1 slot? Does it support ASPM?
My naive goal was to disable the JMB585 Sata controller and connect the ASM1166 to the other m.2 slot or to the pcie x1 slot

xXenoMorpHx

Feb 23, 2024
The second m.2 slot shares the same lanes as the PCIE x1 slot, so you can just use one of them.

Last edited:

NeutronWave

Feb 10, 2024
some pretty thorough N100 disk benchmarking on here (and compared vs N5150 version):

Thought this was quite interesting to see.

pkoci

Aug 13, 2023
So I have finally managed to reach c8 states with an asm1166. The trick is to plug it into pcie x1 slot instead of second m.2. The system idles at 15 to 16 watts.

Reactions: Tremendous

pkoci

Aug 13, 2023
What picture of my setup? You have the same board

The second m.2 nvme slot does not support ASPM, which is needed to achieve higher Cstates. And since I already had this sata card, I bought this converter so I could plug it into the PCIe x1 slot.

Keep in mind that you lose the ability to connect a second NVme ssd if you want to achieve higher cstates.

xXenoMorpHx

Feb 23, 2024
How will the converter make it so the second slot does support ASPM? The second M.2 nvme slot and the PCIe X1 share the same pcie lane.
Just curious how this works then...