Search results

1. D

Speaking of crazy-fast future storage... how about 25GB/s?

Just saw this: What is NVM-X? | Xitore, Inc. Promising 25GB/s storage throughput!
  2. D

Nice little micro-sized Windows 10 computer with 4K video, UPS

NewEgg has the little (3" by 5" by 0.6") InFocus Kangaroo Windows 10 micro-computer for $99 right now. See: Kangaroo Mobile Desktop Computer KJ2B#001-NA Intel Atom X5-Z8500 (1.44 GHz) 2 GB LPDDR3 32 GB eMMC Windows 10 Home - Newegg.com I just bought one of these recently, and I like it. It's...
  3. D

Cheap NVMe performance from HP - 9,000MB/s for $900 or so?

HP is getting close to releasing something that should appeal to those looking for serious NVMe performance on the cheap. It's the HP Z Turbo Drive Quad Pro. I just learned about this and wanted to share. You get a full-height PCI x16 card into which you can stuff up to four NVMe x4 boards...
  4. D

Looking for Dell c6100s - barebones or six-core

Does anyone have a lead on non-DCS Dell c6100 servers? I'm hunting for either barebones units or units with six-core chips like the L5639.
  5. D

Does anyone know the difference between the Dell C6220 and the C6220 II?

Does anyone know the difference between the Dell C6220 and the Dell C6220 II? On the web site, the V2 version supports 10 core chips while the older one does not. Is that a permanent "hardware" or a fixable "BIOS" difference? Any other differences?
  6. D

Router recommendations - 2Gbit min throughput, HA, BGP4

I'm drowning in options and could use some help selecting a router or switch for a project. I'm placing a small amount of pretty critical gear in colo directly connected to AWS with two 1Gbit fiber cross-connects. The traffic will be 1-4kb JMS messages at a very high rate - up to 90K...
  7. D

HP MSA2040 SAN works with third-party drives - huge cost savings

The older HP MSA disk arrays (e.g. MSA2000 and P2000 series) worked just great with third-party (non-HP firmware) disk drives, something you can't say about EMC and other "Enterprise" arrays. I previously filled an MSA2000 with some 3.5" Hitachi drives that I had laying around. This time, I...
  8. D

100 Gigabit Ethernet and Infiniband from Mellanox - ConnectX4 arrives

Mellanox Introduces ConnectX-4 Adapter | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews Now we have 100 Gigabit cards and switches to lust after, suddenly making 40 Gigabit Ethernet and 56 Gigabit Infiniband seem slow (he writes on a laptop with a mere 1Gigabit Ethernet card).
  9. D

WTB: HP MSA 2040 SAN array

I'm about to do something entirely out of character: Buy new hardware as opposed to used! I could use some help and advice. @mrkrad, are you out there? I'm going to deploy some insanely cool hardware from Solace Systems. They sell a hardware JMS broker that makes software brokers looks...
  10. D

1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD for $400 from NewEgg. Free shipping.

NewEgg has a 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD drive for $400. That's a great price. Mystery Deal: $150 off Samsung 1TB SSD + More, Like $30 off GeForce GTX 760 Video Card The base priceis $469. Add the coupon code EMCYTZG685 to bring it down to $399.
  11. D

My new favorite over-the-top motherboard: Supermicro with 96 DIMM slots

You can never have too many PCIe slots, or too much RAM, I say. Supermicro seems to agree, and proffers their latest quad-Xeon monster motherboard in response: the X10QBi: http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/4048/SYS-4048B-TRFT.cfm This beast, which of course requires a custom...
  12. D

Eucalyptus

Has anyone else tried Eucalyptus, which is a pile of open source software that let's you set up your own EC2-compatible private cloud complete with multi-tenancy? I'm running it on c6100s right now with 192 total cores. I'd probably hate it if I were doing IO-heavy work with it, but for...
  13. D

512GB SSD for $249 - Adata XPG SX900 from TigerDirect

Tigerdirect has the SandForce-based Adata XPG SX900 512GB SSD drive for $249. This seems like a really good deal on a decent drive. ADATA XPG SX900 512GB SSD - 2.5 Form Factor, SATA III 6 Gb/s, Up To 540 MB/s Read Speed, Up To 465 MB/s Write Speed - ASX900S3-512GM-C at TigerDirect.com
  14. D

Have Samsung 840 Pro 512GB, Want 840 Pro 128GB

If anyone has four 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD drives that they wish would merge into one big 512GB 840 Pro drive, I may be able to help. I have a 512GB drive that I'll trade for four of your 128GB drives. Actually, I have two if you have eight drives to trade.
  15. D

Synology DSM 5.0 Beta is out - enterprise features coming

The upcoming Synology DSM 5.0 software is now available as a beta, and it looks pretty darn good. Features presentation: Preview: Synology DSM 5.0: Disk Station Manager gets a make-over - SSD Caching / Memory Compression | Hardware.Info United States Beta download: Index of...
  16. D

SSD DIMMs - now we're talking

I just saw the announcement of SanDisk's NAND-based memory modules, basically big SSD drives designed to plug into motherboards instead of RAM. Instead of 64GB of RAM and 10TB of relatively slow disk, imagine a system with 10TB of memory! For an analytical database or any sort of "big data"...
  17. D

Dual port 10GbE PCIe cards for $88 OBO, free ship

These are Mellanox MNPH29C-XTR ConnectX-2 EN Dual Port 10Gigabit Network PCIe Cards for $88 with free shipping. Standard profile bracket. SFP+ connectors. Mellanox MNPH29C XTR Connectx 2 En Dual Port 10GIGABIT Network PCIe Card | eBay These are more expensive than Patrick's $35 Brocade find...
  18. D

Windows Server 2012 Storage Spaces Benchmarks

I'd like to share a few benchmarks that I ran to test Windows 2012 R1 Storage Spaces performance. The Server: HP DL180 G6 - the 3G expander backplane version with 12 drives Single Intel Xeon L5520 CPU 24 GB RAM (3x8GB) DDR3-1333 ECC 1 Samsung 840 pro 128GB SSD drive for boot - mounted inside of...
  19. D

HP DL180G6 runs Xpenology (Synology clone) with LSI SAS!

I just installed Xpenology DSM 4.3 onto an HP DL180 G6 with an LSI SAS card, giving me the equivalent of a $3,000 Synology DS3612xs NAS for around $400... though much louder than any store-bought Synology. My Franken-Synology with 17 drives works just like my Synology DS213j, except MUCH MUCH...
  20. D

Utterly Absurd Quad Xeon E5 Supermicro Server with 48 SSD drives

Warning: While interesting, this build won't be very practical for most folks. The build will also be - and this pains me greatly - made up mostly of parts for which I paid full price. Oh the shame! Build Name: UberDB Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows and Solaris 11.1 - we'll see...