WTB: HP MSA 2040 SAN array

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I'm about to do something entirely out of character: Buy new hardware as opposed to used! I could use some help and advice. @mrkrad, are you out there?

I'm going to deploy some insanely cool hardware from Solace Systems. They sell a hardware JMS broker that makes software brokers looks pitifully slow by comparison - we're talking 100,000 persistent JMS messages/second. Persistent "guaranteed delivery" messages!

Anyway, the system uses a Fiber Channel SAN as a backing store for "overflow" messages. That means that I need to buy a Fiber Channel array with just 200GB worth of SSD drives but >60K IOPS.

I am looking at the HP MSA 2040, which is an entry-level box with enough IOPS to keep up with the Solace hardware.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get a good price on HP storage gear? This model is too new to appear used on eBay it seems.

Last edited:

dougsk

May 3, 2013
Post Falls, ID
I actually have this.

Here is the benchmarks and what it cost me.

I did the benchmarks with two different HP DL360p with 2x E5-2690 v2 processors and 288GB of ram, using Server 2012 R2.

The SSDs I'm using were ones Patrick already reviewed a couple of times.

I was largely comparing how the SSDs did in the SAN compared to how they did direct attached with the P420i/1GB. though.

Last edited:
Reactions: lmk